Trying But Not Getting It...

Old September 21st 03, 04:45 PM
Jareth

Default Trying But Not Getting It...

Hi all,
I'm new to the group. I have a lot of pretty good weight lifting books and
they help with some pretty good excercises but they don't really break it
down for particular body types.
I'm a big guy to start and have been doing light to med. weight with many
reps lifting for about 5 months. My muscles have become pretty solid and I
am feeling better but I just don't have that cut that most of you guys get.
I thought that light weight...multi-rep cuts and heavy weight...few reps
gives you bulk. As I said, I'm a big guy already (6'4/ 260 lbs.). Am I doing
this wrong or do I just need to be more patient.
What kind of diet would you guys recomend to help with the weight loss
part?
PLEASE help. I am very serrious about this. I want very much to get it
right and work pretty hard at it but I'm affraid I'm missing something
important.
Thanks--

Old September 21st 03, 04:50 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , "Jareth"
wrote:

[...]

Hypertrophy is generally built by moderate reps range (8-12) with moderate
weights.

"Cuts" is more a matter of diet and body fat than muscle. You can be
ripped and skinny or ripped and muscular.

If you want to lose bodyfat do a google search on 'ketogenic diet' or just
get the book by MFW auther Lyle McDonald. (I'm not affiliated with LM in
any way, although I do count him as a friend).

Also I believe 'Bodyopus' or something like than by Duschaine is also a
ketogenic diet.

More conventional diets also work.

BTW - I doubt the majority in MFW are cut like a lizard.

--
Keith Hobman

The email address above is a spam sink - no longer monitored
Old September 21st 03, 05:58 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Jareth wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new to the group. I have a lot of pretty good weight lifting books and
they help with some pretty good excercises but they don't really break it
down for particular body types.

There is no special body type specific training plan. The main difference is
between people who want to gain weight, people who want to lose weight, and
people who want to maintain. And that difference is largely a matter of caloric
balance. A skinny guy who wants to gain weight needs to eat a lot and do little
or no cardio. A fat guy who wants to lose weight would do well to diet and do
more cardio.

I'm a big guy to start and have been doing light to med. weight with many
reps lifting for about 5 months. My muscles have become pretty solid and I
am feeling better but I just don't have that cut that most of you guys get.
I thought that light weight...multi-rep cuts and heavy weight...few reps
gives you bulk. As I said, I'm a big guy already (6'4/ 260 lbs.). Am I doing
this wrong or do I just need to be more patient.
What kind of diet would you guys recomend to help with the weight loss
part?
PLEASE help. I am very serrious about this. I want very much to get it
right and work pretty hard at it but I'm affraid I'm missing something
important.

Getting cut is primarily about reducing body fat by burning more calories and
consuming less calories. There are many ways to burn more calories, and a high
rep weights program is not one of the more effective ways. You'd be better off
sticking to a basic mass building program (8-12 reps compound movements such as
bench, squat, shoulder press, deadlift, rows, pullups) and some light cardio,
then backing it up with a good diet plan.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Old September 22nd 03, 06:07 AM
hardworkin

Sorry, this account is a spam sink. Direct replies will be ignored.
"Chupacabra" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:26:22 GMT, "Dave H" wrote:

"Chupacabra" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:50:41 -0600, (Keith Hobman)
wrote:

snip

BTW - I doubt the majority in MFW are cut like a lizard.

Now *that's* a simile I wouldn't have thought of.

...the closest I can come to visualizing "cut like a lizard" are the
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Who ****ing rock.

They ****ing rock only when they are on their backs and can't roll over.

dave h

A man who doesn't like TMNT is no friend of mine. I bid you good day,
sir!

I've still got #1 in a plastic sleeve somewhere. Guess I'll hang on to it.

Old September 24th 03, 12:00 AM
Neal Fabian

"Jareth" wrote in message . ..
[...]

Hey Jareth

You probably have too many weightlifting books.

Body type does determine your training style, to a degree - everything
is a matter of degree, that should be your mantra. Ectomorphs
(bird-boned), in general, should lean toward fewer reps and sets, and
heavier weights. Mesomorphs, which is what you probably are, can
handle the higher number of reps and sets, but that doesn't
necessarily mean you should. You wrote that your muscles have become
"pretty solid," but that doesn't mean much. What gains have you made
in strength? From what to what? Are you a little flabby, or are you
more than that? Don't worry about tables and height/weight charts,
just go by the way you look in the mirror. Are you primarily after
power, or appearance? Maybe a reasonable balance of the two?

It's obvious by your post that you want to lose fat. Don't even
bother with looking into any exotic, or fad diets. They're
everywhere, and most of them work, because under all the hype and
pretentious, and sometimes silly, theory, there is one commonality;
caloric reduction. It is a simple reduction in your caloric intake
that will make you lose weight; it's no more complicated than that.
Everything else is either totally superfluous or of so little
importance that it would interest only a competition lifter/builder.
You have to count calories, which is a pain, but otherwise you won't
know whether or not you're cutting enough. It's really all very
simple, I suggest that you go to my training program, it's free and
it's on my website. Learn the whole thing, but you'll probably want
to go check out the NUTRITION section of Part Two, first, since that
seems to be your priority. The routines are there, the training
recommendations, everything. It'll answer your questions before you
ask them. Finally, keep in mind, that you get cuts ONLY from diet,
and marginally, from cardio.

My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
DEVELOPING YOUR BODY,* is up on my website.
___________________________________

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html
Old September 24th 03, 12:38 AM
Hoff

"Neal Fabian" wrote in message
m...
Body type does determine your training style, to a degree - everything
is a matter of degree, that should be your mantra. Ectomorphs
(bird-boned), in general, should lean toward fewer reps and sets, and
heavier weights. Mesomorphs, which is what you probably are, can
handle the higher number of reps and sets, but that doesn't
necessarily mean you should.

Neal, thanks for the info. I don't think I've seen specific info like this,
based on body type. Do you have any more information on that?

Thanks.

Hoff