Sore and inflamed toes

Old May 8th 05, 07:38 PM
oling

Default Sore and inflamed toes

I am preparing for my first Marathon this summer and currently run like
60-70 km/week.
My toes next to the big toes (hallux) are actually longer than the big
toes and cause me problems. When running they become sore and inflamed
due to the constant pushing against the shoes. This especially is a
problem on the long runs. The nails usually fall off immediately as
they start to grow. I am using Asics Nimbus, which are supposed to be
very good, and I tried to have them excess in size. However, this is
still a problem and might affect my plans.
Have you any ideas or heard of similar problems before?

Thanks,
oling

Old May 8th 05, 08:29 PM
frank-in-toronto

On 8 May 2005 11:38:14 -0700, "oling" wrote:

I am preparing for my first Marathon this summer and currently run like
60-70 km/week.
My toes next to the big toes (hallux) are actually longer than the big
toes and cause me problems. When running they become sore and inflamed
due to the constant pushing against the shoes. This especially is a
problem on the long runs. The nails usually fall off immediately as
they start to grow. I am using Asics Nimbus, which are supposed to be
very good, and I tried to have them excess in size. However, this is
still a problem and might affect my plans.
Have you any ideas or heard of similar problems before?

try a better fitting shoe (maybe longer). try a different
lacing technique so your foot is more anchored in the shoe.
i put bandaids over the ends of the toes with problems.
helps a lot.
....thehick
Old May 8th 05, 08:34 PM
oling

Thanks for the advise. I will probably try another pair that is 0.5
larger than I am currently using since they are already 1.0 larger than
my normal street shoes.

-oling

Old May 8th 05, 08:35 PM
oling

Thanks for the advise. Are you using any particular bandaid for this
purpose?

-oling

Old May 8th 05, 09:08 PM
frank-in-toronto

On 8 May 2005 12:35:44 -0700, "oling" wrote:

Thanks for the advise. Are you using any particular bandaid for this
purpose?

try a couple and see what works for you. i got bad
blisters from thick ones. i was using the thin latex but when
i ran out, i got the thicker fabric ones. but nothing special.
just cheap bandaids.
....thehick

Old May 9th 05, 03:47 AM
if you see kay

STFU.

My alma mater!

Hey, how'd you know?

Old May 9th 05, 04:55 AM
Miss Anne Thrope

Having the second toe longer than the big toe was always the first clue
that a baby was going to be retarded.

Old May 9th 05, 05:06 AM
Bumper

Dr Scholls make a foam cap that fits over the toe and will protect it
from all sorts of assaults. It'll take a couple of runs to get use to
them but they do work. Other things to consider are to make sure your
socks aren't too short, it doesn't do much good to have shoes long
enough but socks that are riding herd on your tootisie's. Just as
important as length of the shoe is the height of the toe box. A low toe
box will rub your toes the wrong way.