first to go -- fat or muscle?

Old November 8th 03, 10:39 PM
George

Default first to go -- fat or muscle?

Lets say you are sitting around all day and cannot eat. I know it takes a
lot of space between meals for your body to start burning its
reserves....but which does the body target first...the stored fat, or any
abundance of muscle you have?

Old November 8th 03, 11:44 PM
kaloalex

George wrote:
Lets say you are sitting around all day and cannot eat. I know it takes a
lot of space between meals for your body to start burning its
reserves....but which does the body target first...the stored fat, or any
abundance of muscle you have?

I don't know about a single day, but over an extended time of
under-nutrition, your body will conserve the fat supply for later and
feast on muscle now.

Largely because your body hates you.($1 to Watson or Lyle, I can't
recall which)

Kalo

Old November 11th 03, 06:52 PM
Slambram

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:44:00 GMT, kaloalex
m wrote:

I don't know about a single day, but over an extended time of
under-nutrition, your body will conserve the fat supply for later and
feast on muscle now.

Largely because your body hates you.($1 to Watson or Lyle, I can't
recall which)

Kalo

Exactly. In my unscientific "this is how your body thinks" way of
putting it - not only am i running a caloric deficit, all this muscle
is costing me additional calories to maintain. Burn it - save the
cheaper fat. This is why, to keep as much muscle as you can when
you're dieting, you need to lift something. Or take steroids. Not
like you do when you're bulking (lifting, that is), but enough to let
your body know it still needs the muscle.

Old November 12th 03, 01:46 AM
kaloalex

m wrote:

I don't know about a single day, but over an extended time of
under-nutrition, your body will conserve the fat supply for later and
feast on muscle now.

Largely because your body hates you.($1 to Watson or Lyle, I can't
recall which)

Kalo

Exactly. In my unscientific "this is how your body thinks" way of
putting it - not only am i running a caloric deficit, all this muscle
is costing me additional calories to maintain. Burn it - save the
cheaper fat. This is why, to keep as much muscle as you can when
you're dieting, you need to lift something. Or take steroids. Not
like you do when you're bulking (lifting, that is), but enough to let
your body know it still needs the muscle.

Yeah. Give instinct the old "times are lean, AND physical hardship
threatens our existence" theme to your body.

But I have no idea if taking steroids will stave off muscle breakdown
during hunger cycles.

Kalo

Old November 12th 03, 01:56 PM
Slambram

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:46:49 GMT, kaloalex
m wrote:

Yeah. Give instinct the old "times are lean, AND physical hardship
threatens our existence" theme to your body.

But I have no idea if taking steroids will stave off muscle breakdown
during hunger cycles.

Kalo

I had always heard that keeping a surprizing amount of muscle while
dieting was the second greatest use for steroids. Most folks use them
infrequently enough that they wouldn't think of doing anything but
bulking on them, but some more serious types who are on them most of
the time will cut on them.

Biomechanics of Muscle Nutrition Rob Bechard Aerobic 0 March 9th 04 12:43 AM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 02:19 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 09:43 PM
EVALUATION OF EXERCISE-INDUCED MUSCLE SORENESS: An Immunohistochemical and Ultrastructural Study Matti Kolu Weights 7 October 1st 03 04:58 PM
Supersets OA(E3!/.'O Fred Jones Aerobic 0 July 20th 03 05:14 AM