Ankle Problem Suddenly

Old April 26th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.running

Default Ankle Problem Suddenly

Hello Everyone,

I have been running for about the last 7 years but recently (the last 5
months) I have been really stepping up my game. Last week while I was
running I noticed a twinge in my ankle.
The only way to describe it is it feels like a tendon or ligament on
the inside of my left ankle is being plucked like a guitar string.
This only seems to happen on the initial push off when starting to run
and going up hill. It does not happen when walking unless I am going
down stairs.
It doesn't really hurt but it feels strange. I took 2 days off last
week but it didn't seem to help. I've taken some Ibuprofen and iced
it, but the problem persists. I really don't want to take a ton of
time off but I'm afraid that's my only option.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what its caused by? I
didn't experience any injury (ie sprained ankle) or anything like that
prior.
What kind of treatment should I use?

Thank you.

Old April 26th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.running

On 26 Apr 2006 09:32:45 -0700, wrote:

I have been running for about the last 7 years

You must be exhausted, take a rest. I know I'm tired after 90 minutes,
so after 7 years you must be beat.
Old April 27th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.running

On 26 Apr 2006 18:11:06 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone have a real response and not a moronic comment?

Nope.
Old April 28th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.running

wrote:
[...]

I haven't heard of such a problem in this group before. To be safe,
check with your doctor. in the meantime maybe consider some ankle
stretches/exercises.

while sitting or standing, raise your foot just off the ground, move
your foot to make a circle motion with your toes. do 5times clockwise
then 5 counterclockwise. Repeat for your other foot. It may not help,
but I wonder if this might give you another feeling on the problem.

HTH.
ed

PS just ignore the trolls. They are harmless unless fed.

Old April 28th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.running

Check this out as a possibility.
http://www.rad.washington.edu/atlas2...posterior.html

Also, Google up "Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome"

Have dealt with injury and inflamation to the above tendons and possibly
the Tarsal Tunnel thing. Makes for pretty ankle colors when in the acute
condition. Seems to respond well to rest, ice, and ibuprofen (RICE & pills).

--
Quality is a function of design, materials, and craftsmanship.
Inspection can only confirm quality or reveal deficiencies.
Old April 30th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.running

If you follow Pose Method/ChiRunning/Ozzie's Folklore, there is no push
off.

If you work the posterior tibialis, massaging it with your thumb while
making a very small circle with your heel about the size of a dime,
you'll find that most likely that muscle is either constricted by the
fascia around it or it may be adhering to the shin bone.

When the muscle should be relaxing, it semi relaxes and the rest of the
tension is transferred to the tendon and what you feel is the pull on
the tendon since the muscle working that tendon is only partially
relaxing.

Regarding the push off, this is what I said in another post a few
minutes ago to a local San Diego Runner:

Pose Method/ChiRunning/Ozzie's Folklore all
agree that there is no push off. There is no toe off. There is no
thrust. If you imagine you're on a skateboard.
When you foot touches the ground, it stays at that spot where it
touched and is pulled off by the body falling/moving forward. True you
can get into the physics of action/reaction. However
before you can push off with the ball of the foot, or the misnomer of
toe-off, your leg and therefore the foot are pulled off the ground
before the calf can thrust.

Something to do to loosen the posterior tibialis:

I'd look at the posterior tibialis, that muscle behind the shin bone on
the inside.

1. You are seated

2. Left leg crossed on right thigh so outside of left leg rests on
right thigh about 3 or 4 inches above right knee.

3. place right thumb below left shin bone closest to you so it rests on
the posterior tibialis

4. Right hand rest on the shin bone.

5. Place the left hand next to the right hand on the shin bone so that
the left thumb rests on top of the right thumb.

6. Make small (emphasis on small) and smooth (emphasis on smooth)
circles with the left foot so there is no (spelled NO) jerkiness -
otherwise you're just straining tendon.

7. As you make the circle and the left toe goes downward, push in with
the thumbs. With each circle move the thumbs about a quarter of an
inch further up the leg.

8. Find the spot that creates most pain and push more lightly at that
spot so as not to create excrutiating pain and then move thumbs away
first upward and then away downward, pushing harder so that you can
feel the muscle under your thumbs let go.

9. If you push too hard, go too fast, wince the face, stop breathing
because of the pain, go too deep, you'll get the reverse of what you
want.

10. What you want is that posterior tibialis to let go so that your
circle can move easily. Usually if it is bruised, the blood came from
up above where the muscle tear took place and gravity let it settle
where the bruise is.

11. You'd like also to make sure that the posterior tibialis is not
flush up again the shin bone. There should be some space where your
thumb can go up that groove between the posterior shin muscle and the
shin bone. Or gradually work to get it back, since if it's not there,
then your shin is holding and probably the fascia won't allow the
muscle to go through its range of motion and also the micro tears of
the muscle or at the muscle tendon junction of the posterior shin
muscle has scarred and also decreases the range of motion for the
posterior shin.

Let us know how it goes and what you learn so that we can all learn if
my folklore worked for you, or was it just folklore that needed to be
discarded because it didn't work.

Good luck with your experiment of one. Also during my training runs I
often stop and work shins, calves, haves and quads loose so that my
training run might be broken up by 10 or 12 stops to massage out or rub
out the sore spots.

Old May 1st 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.running

Ozzie Gontang
I tried what you said below. I didn't have any soreness prior to
trying the technique you outlined, however, once I started pushing on
the posterior tibialis and I noticed it hurt quite a bit. After a
short time of gently pushing around the area while rotating my foot I
found that a small section of my calf was extremely sore. It felt as
though I had just finished running a great distance despite the fact
that I have not run for a week. I don't know if it is helping and I
hope that the soreness is a result of me loosening the the muscle up a
bit. If you have any other feedback I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Old May 1st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.running

It is a running injury, caused by running.

It's just like smoking, shooting heroin, voting republican or any other
harmful habit.........you'll feel better after you quit.

Old May 1st 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.running

^ Quitting is not an option. Taking a break is hard enough.

Heel Pain Herman Munster Running 1 October 7th 04 02:47 AM
ankle pain when beginning run, but goes away Marcus Holmes Running 2 June 9th 04 03:31 AM
Need help with sprained ankle Erin-Joi Collins McNeal Walking 2 May 4th 04 03:38 PM
Occasional Ankle Pain - Advice Needed RDA Running 3 April 2nd 04 07:02 PM
Jogging with a bad ankle? Opticreep Running 0 March 19th 04 11:52 PM