HST simplified...please

Old October 19th 06, 03:28 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
lucky\(one\)

Default HST simplified...please

I have surfed around looking at HST and it sounds like good stuff but I
can't seem to grasp just what the jist of it is.

I am not one for real complicated routines and cycles. If that is what it
is maybe it just isn't for me. I'm not a complete dumbass or anything but
maybe a little lazy when it comes to figuring this stuff out.

Does anyone know of a site that just lays it out real simple like? Or does
anyone care to explain it to me and others like me who might find this
thread?

thanks in advance for any directions, advice, insight, insults, flames, or
whatever.

Old October 19th 06, 04:34 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
joanne

On Oct 18, 7:28 pm, "lucky\(one\)" wrote:
Does anyone know of a site that just lays it out real simple like? Or does

anyone care to explain it to me and others like me who might find this
thread?

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

2nd page gives you a routine example/check out their articles section
too

joanne

Old October 19th 06, 10:10 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Spammers_Should_Be_Shot

"lucky(one)" wrote in message
m...
I have surfed around looking at HST and it sounds like good stuff but I
can't seem to grasp just what the jist of it is.

I am not one for real complicated routines and cycles. If that is what it
is maybe it just isn't for me. I'm not a complete dumbass or anything but
maybe a little lazy when it comes to figuring this stuff out.

Does anyone know of a site that just lays it out real simple like? Or

does
anyone care to explain it to me and others like me who might find this
thread?

thanks in advance for any directions, advice, insight, insults, flames, or
whatever.

While Joanne normally gives out crap advice I do agree that (if you haven't
already) you need to read the articles on the HST site. If you have read
that and are still confused then let us know. I follow a modified HST
routine and think HST is great for a lot of people. Keep in mind you should
understand is the underlying principles, you don't have to follow it to the
letter, but the basic ideas are very sound.

Old October 19th 06, 02:52 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
mulbish

Yeah, I had been to that link but found it a tough read, but I'll try
again.

hmmmm......this guy uses BIG words and technical terms that are beyond
my scope of knowledge but I think I've muddled through it.

HST:

~use mainly compound exercises
~determine 15, 10, 5 rep wgt max's
~cycle is 4 x 2 week blocks
~whole body workouts 3X a week (M,W,F)
~1-2 sets per exercise/?body part?
~start with 15 rep first block ending second week at max wgts increased
incrementally @ 5 lbs.
~subsequent week decrease reps by 5, increase wgt by 5-10.
~after 4th block either continue with another block of 5 rep or do
negatives for a block
~take a full week off
~start over
~skip 15 rep block on second and subsequent cycles if no injuries.

I assume you don't have to re-establish your max wgts for subsequent
cycles but rather just add 5-10 lbs from last cycle.

Old October 19th 06, 02:59 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
mulbish

and how do you use the calculator?

Old October 19th 06, 03:22 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
mulbish

....and I guess you really only have to establish what your 15 rep max
wgts are, because you automatically add 5-10 lbs, right?

Old October 19th 06, 03:30 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
geek_girl

mulbish wrote:
and how do you use the calculator?

It seems that HST is too complicated for you. How about you just follow
a couple of the basic principles and forget all about the 15,10,5
stuff? Do mainly compound exercises, full body workout 3 times per
week, 5-10 reps, and take a week off every couple of months. As long
as you eat enough, that should work just fine (assuming your goal is
increased muscle mass.)

Old October 19th 06, 05:03 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
mulbish

geek_girl wrote:
mulbish wrote:
and how do you use the calculator?

It seems that HST is too complicated for you. How about you just follow
a couple of the basic principles and forget all about the 15,10,5
stuff? Do mainly compound exercises, full body workout 3 times per
week, 5-10 reps, and take a week off every couple of months. As long
as you eat enough, that should work just fine (assuming your goal is
increased muscle mass.)

well, that's very kind of you to say so. 'acth! u could just point me
in the right direction or hint to where I have missed the point. I am
working off a couple of pages posted on a web site so far...but thanks.

for all others i found this site as well :
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul4.htm

it's claim of "HST for Dummies" is obviously what i need.

Old October 19th 06, 05:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bill Eitner

lucky(one) wrote:
I have surfed around looking at HST and it sounds like good stuff but I
can't seem to grasp just what the jist of it is.

Spend time at the site and keep reading it until
it comes to you.

There's a forum there where you can ask specific
questions and read more info.

I am not one for real complicated routines and cycles.

But maybe you should be. Once you grasp it
it's not that difficult. Keep reading it
until you get it.

If that is what it
is maybe it just isn't for me.

It's only complicated until you understand it.
From then on it's easy--you go to the gym and
you do what you have to do each session just
like you always have. The difference is in
the planning. HST training is well planned.

I'm not a complete dumbass or anything but
maybe a little lazy when it comes to figuring this stuff out.

There is a bit of work and figuring that has
to be done. You have to choose your exercises,
do the work to figure out the maximum weights
for each rep range, and plan the actual workouts.

Does anyone know of a site that just lays it out real simple like?

The HST site lays it out as simply as it can be
laid out. You have to individualize it yourself.

Or does
anyone care to explain it to me and others like me who might find this
thread?

If you spend enough time on the HST site and forum,
you'll eventually get it. And in the meantime
just do the best you can. If you've been training
steadily with heavy weights lately, take two weeks
off. Spend that time studying HST.

thanks in advance for any directions, advice, insight, insults, flames, or
whatever.

You're welcome and good luck. Don't give up on HST.
It's a good system and is worth the time to learn.
Old October 19th 06, 06:10 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
JMW

"geek_girl" wrote:

mulbish wrote:
and how do you use the calculator?

It seems that HST is too complicated for you. How about you just follow
a couple of the basic principles and forget all about the 15,10,5
stuff? Do mainly compound exercises, full body workout 3 times per
week, 5-10 reps, and take a week off every couple of months. As long
as you eat enough, that should work just fine (assuming your goal is
increased muscle mass.)

You're confusing the lad, Sarah Jane. Everybody knows that the spell
doesn't work without the complex magic rituals.