Wainright walks series bbc4

Old March 28th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Townsend

Default Wainright walks series bbc4

In message , C R Fishwick
writes
http://craven-and-pendle-birding.org/
"Chris Townsend" wrote in message
In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Rudi Winter wrote:

If that's the impression people got, then I'm sure it's because it's
the impression the director wanted people to have.

Well since you mention it, I didn't get that impression. Sorry to
disappoint
you.

Interesting discussion. I've done some bits of TV work, most recently for
BBC Scotland's The Adventure Show, produced by an independent company and
last autumn for BBC Scotland (checking out whether Beinn Dearg in Torridon
is a Munro or not - relating to another thread).

And do you consider it a Munro? I don't, although, I've been on it many
times;-)

I simply don't know. We certainly didn't find out on that occasion. It
could be. It's a fine hill regardless.

On every occasion we've done all the walking and there's just been the
producer, cameraman (it has always been a man), presenter and me with
occasionally a safety officer (on Beinn Dearg I was co-opted into this
role).

Co-opted as Safety officer? Why? Had the other to go home to mummy;-)

There was no other!

Last spring we filmed a trip with an overnight camp. We carried all the
gear in (no packs slung on one shoulder - not with 15kg loads!) and camped
overnight.

Where too? BG!

In the Monadh Liath

We only walked 4 miles however and that took the best part of a day as bits
were filmed over and over again from different angles and we dodged
showers. On Beinn Dearg we had heavy rain and strong winds throughout and
got nowhere near the summit. I was impressed with the professionalism of
the crew, lashed by the storm they still worked out a closing shot so the
piece would make some sort of sense. At the time the presenter was soaked
having fallen thigh deep into a bog when he wasn't wearing overtrousers and
through wearing a waterproof jacket not up to mountain storms. The
cameraman was wet too as his BBC jacket leaked and didn't breathe. Neither
of them were regular hillwalkers. Only the producer, who was a hill runner,
and me were reasonably dry.

Yep! 2 blokes who sort of knew what they were on about;-) The others!

I bloke and 1 woman actually :-)

Often I have sounded out of breath because I was! Talking while walking
steeply uphill can do that.

Not surprised carrying that gear for just an hill trip! Climbers carry that
nonchalantly

What gear?

TV camera gear is heavy. I had a tripod head to lug on the Beinn Dearg
trip.

On pieces looking a gear we usually walk a mile or so into the hills, find
a scenic spot and film there (once it was at Steall in upper Glen Nevis).

Don't get me started! I got kicked out from there 'cause Charlie was
about;-)

The hut? We were the other side of the river.

Old March 29th 07, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
C R Fishwick

"Nick" wrote in message
C R Fishwick wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
It depends what you mean by authentic. Had she been stretchered up the
hills by the crew, or moved between locations by helicopter, there would
be a case for saying it was artificial.

You could be rather surprised! If you really knew how it was produced;-)

However, there is no suggestion that she and her crew did not walk to
the summits and back.

Want to bet?

Go on - spill the beans! How was it done?

Well! hillwalkers have or should have common sense! Is that untrue? :-0

--
Craven and Pendle Birds:
Bird watching in and around Craven & Pendle.

Old March 29th 07, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
C R Fishwick

"Chris Townsend" wrote in message
at Steall in upper Glen Nevis).

snip

Don't get me started! I got kicked out from there 'cause Charlie was
about;-)

The hut? We were the other side of the river.

Na, Not the bloody hut! The area! I must have missed you;-) Thankfully;-)

CRF

Old March 29th 07, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H

C R Fishwick writes
"Gordon H" wrote in message
news

I would be rather surprised if *you* knew.

I enjoyed it for the scenery. I thought her presentation was a bit shaky
on the first, but improved throughout.

Come on now, you were obviously there, tell us the inside story.
;-)

Just think about it? If you believe what you see on any documentary or
natural history et al, TV programme is filmed "As is" Good for you! And not
edited and spliced and manipulated? Plus the "film crew" IMHO would have
been flown in to the stratigic places for your glimpse of the "intrepid
walker"!

Funny how on her walks nobody passed her in either direction. I mean real
hillwalkers;-) Especially on some of the most frequented hills in the
Lakes;-)

CRF

Yes, we know all that, but I just wondered if you were there... ;-)
--
Gordon H
(Remove invalid to email)
Old March 29th 07, 02:27 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
C R Fishwick

"Gordon H" wrote in message
C R Fishwick writes
"Gordon H" wrote in message
[...]

Thankfully not! Seems as though as my wife says, many people are re-reading
Wainrights books! Albeit thro' the library service;-) Been in the back stock
for many years;-) Nobody read 'em until this TV realisation of Wainwright
death.

I'd suggest somebody has resurrected it to make money! Including the said
"hillwalker" :-0 Hopefully the monies will go to animal welfare;-) But doubt
it!

Old March 30th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rudi Winter

Chris Townsend wrote:
In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Rudi Winter wrote:

If that's the impression people got, then I'm sure it's because it's
the impression the director wanted people to have.

Well since you mention it, I didn't get that impression. Sorry to disappoint
you.

Interesting discussion. I've done some bits of TV work, most recently
for BBC Scotland's The Adventure Show, produced by an independent
company and last autumn for BBC Scotland (checking out whether Beinn

Right, no helicopters and dressing room tents then! Which surprises
but pleases me...

and camped overnight. We only walked 4 miles however and that took the
best part of a day as bits were filmed over and over again from
different angles and we dodged showers. On Beinn Dearg we had heavy rain

....although that sounds like "doing it again and again until it comes
over right"...
--
Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales
Old March 30th 07, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Townsend

In message , Rudi Winter
writes
Chris Townsend wrote:
In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Rudi Winter wrote:

If that's the impression people got, then I'm sure it's because it's
the impression the director wanted people to have.

Well since you mention it, I didn't get that impression. Sorry to disappoint
you.

Interesting discussion. I've done some bits of TV work, most recently
for BBC Scotland's The Adventure Show, produced by an independent
company and last autumn for BBC Scotland (checking out whether Beinn

Right, no helicopters and dressing room tents then! Which surprises
but pleases me...

I guess expensive productions use these! None of the ones I've been
involved in do.

and camped overnight. We only walked 4 miles however and that took the
best part of a day as bits were filmed over and over again from
different angles and we dodged showers. On Beinn Dearg we had heavy rain

...although that sounds like "doing it again and again until it comes
over right"...

There is a bit of that. Camera people like to take shots from many
angles. The clips that appeared from that trip lasted maybe 10 minutes
in total. I guess over an hour of film was shot, probably much more.
It's then up to the editor to select stuff that "comes over right" and
put it together.

--
Chris Townsend

http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk