Glossary

Old April 2nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Default Glossary

Phil Cook wrote:

I call the stuff I do in Snowdonia and Scotland Mountain Walking. in
the Lake District and The Dales and Peak District it turns into Fell
Walking. You could say you were Fan Walking in The Beacons but it
might easily be misunderstood.

Although I say that I'm "going up the mountains", I actually think of the
Beacons as mere hill-walking, since there's rarely ever anything scrambly
involved.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old April 2nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

214Fells wrote:

I'd classify a 'quick bag' as less than 10km and less than 500m
ascent.
A 'bimble' is more than 10km but less than 20km and more than 500m
ascent but less than 1000m ascent.
A good walk is more than 20km and more than 1000m ascent.

However others will have their own subjective definitions....

Indeed. Glad to see that you're using metric!

You know about my "effort rating" don't you? Where you add the distance in
kilometres to the ascent divided by 100 to give a "kilometre equivalent", a
simple way of ranking a walk by one number rather than two.

Using this system your "quick bag" would be up to 15ke, your "bimble" would
be up to 30ke, and your "good walk" more than 30ke.

My ranking is as follows:
Very Easy Up to 10ke
Easy 10-20ke
Moderate 20-30ke
Hard 30-40ke
Very Hard 40-50ke

Hardest walk I've ever done was a 49ke. I guess some people would rank them
differently and go higher than 50ke.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old April 2nd 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roger

The message
from "Paul Saunders" contains these words:

You know about my "effort rating" don't you? Where you add the distance in
kilometres to the ascent divided by 100 to give a "kilometre equivalent", a
simple way of ranking a walk by one number rather than two.

Using this system your "quick bag" would be up to 15ke, your "bimble" would
be up to 30ke, and your "good walk" more than 30ke.

My ranking is as follows:
Very Easy Up to 10ke
Easy 10-20ke
Moderate 20-30ke
Hard 30-40ke
Very Hard 40-50ke

Hardest walk I've ever done was a 49ke. I guess some people would rank them
differently and go higher than 50ke.

Hardest walk I have ever done was 45 miles and 10000 feet of ascent.
That is 72 on your scale on distance alone and over 100 in total
although 56 miles and 5000 feet of ascent seems to come out slightly
higher.

--
Roger Chapman
Nearest Marilyn still to be visited - Great Orme.
Old April 4th 07, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rudi Winter

Paul Saunders wrote:
You know about my "effort rating" don't you? Where you add the distance in
kilometres to the ascent divided by 100 to give a "kilometre equivalent", a
simple way of ranking a walk by one number rather than two.

It's basically the Naismith idea, except that you don't automatically
assume that effort is proportional to time taken.

For me, I've worked out that effort is pretty much proportional to time
taken except for very short or very flat walks. And ascent knackers me
a lot more than distance, so I come up with
time/h = distance/4km + ascent/400m
which includes breaks I need to be comfortable, although I may just lie
in the sun and enjoy the view if it's warm enough, which obviously doesn't
come into the formula. Anyway, I use that time as my effort rating.
Yes, slow coach etc, I know. Who cares?
--
Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales