stretching

Old July 1st 03, 09:39 PM
Marshall Lake

Default stretching

I'm trying to build mass and lose weight. I'm using Bill Phillips' Body for
Life as a guide, but I noticed he doesn't include stretching the muscles to
make them more limber. Should I stretch, or just use the the full range of
the motion when weight lifting and call that my stretch? Is it possible to
build mass and become more limber at the same time? How often should one
stretch?

I'm no expert but I feel stretching is always good if done properly
(no pain, no bouncing, normal breathing). Stretching everyday is good
and I see no reason why you cannot build mass and become more limber at
the same time.

Old July 1st 03, 11:21 PM
Old Brad

"Brian Phillips" wrote in
message news:[email protected]
Hi,

I'm trying to build mass and lose weight. I'm using Bill Phillips' Body

for
Life as a guide, but I noticed he doesn't include stretching the muscles

make them more limber. Should I stretch, or just use the the full range

of
the motion when weight lifting and call that my stretch? Is it possible

build mass and become more limber at the same time? How often should one
stretch?

Thanks,
Brian

Okay, I'm no expert either, I can only relate my experiences and
preferences.

Before weight-training, I warm up with a variety of callisthenics. Going
from gentle 'walking-on-the-spot', to windmills/toe-touches, to
jumping-jacks, etc. These exercises lube the joints and stretch muscles
mildly too. Then I do a few warm-up sets with light weights. After my main
WT workout, I'll stretch. Nice and systematically, from neck down or from
calves up, stretching all major muscle groups.

I've read that stretching a muscle actually weakens it a little, so doing an
associated lift directly after may result in poor performance. I don't know
how far this is true. Check it for yourself. Conversely, the same article
advocated stretching the antagonist muscle first, for example, before doing
squats, stretch the hamstrings.

I've observed I've become more flexible in the lower body, as my leg muscles
have strengthened. But I seem to have lost some flexibility in the upper
body, especially while reaching behind my back.

Usually it is recommended you stretch after any vigorous activity, to assist
recovery.

Hope this helps,

OB