Boiling Water for Sterilisation

Old May 8th 07, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
-- Paul --

Default Boiling Water for Sterilisation

Hi,

I'm having a debate with a mate about water sterilisation. We're both quite
new to this so lack a bit of knowledge.

If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

Personnally I would say that you didn't get any energy from the oxygen in
water and so it dosn't matter if you boil it??

Please help sort this out for us

Cheers

Paul

Old May 9th 07, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the wonderful
person -- Paul -- said
Hi,

I'm having a debate with a mate about water sterilisation. We're both quite
new to this so lack a bit of knowledge.

If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

Personnally I would say that you didn't get any energy from the oxygen in
water and so it dosn't matter if you boil it??

Please help sort this out for us

You get energy from burning (oxidising) food using oxygen in your
bloodstream. 99.99%+ of that oxygen gets there through your lungs. You
lose almost all the oxygen (and nitrogen, and CO2) in water when you
boil it . The result may taste 'flat' but is perfectly fine for
drinking.

Note however that boiling will not remove all poisons and pesticides,
and doesn't even kill 100% of known germs (but if you boil it for a
reasonable time it will kill the ones that are likely to kill you).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
8,630 Km walked. 1,677Km PROWs surveyed. 30.5% complete.
Old May 9th 07, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 8 May 2007 22:58:57 +0100, "-- Paul --"
wrote:

|!Hi,
|!
|!I'm having a debate with a mate about water sterilisation. We're both quite
|!new to this so lack a bit of knowledge.

If you boil water you kill pathogenic bugs

|!If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
|!mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

You do not *use* oxygen from water, there is quite enough oxygen in the air
for walking up hills or some people even *run* up hills.

--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Old May 9th 07, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
PeterC

On Tue, 8 May 2007 22:58:57 +0100, -- Paul -- wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a debate with a mate about water sterilisation. We're both quite
new to this so lack a bit of knowledge.

If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

When water boils (at whatever temperature - can be much lower than 100C at
high altitude) there are no dissolved gases left in it.

Personnally I would say that you didn't get any energy from the oxygen in
water and so it dosn't matter if you boil it??

There's no [useful to people] energy in oxygen as such - it just enables
the process via respiration. Swallowing oxygen just has the obvious effect!

--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.
Old May 9th 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Dave N

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes
wrote:
|!If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
|!mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

You do not *use* oxygen from water, there is quite enough oxygen in the air
for walking up hills or some people even *run* up hills.

AIUI, oxygen does not provide energy but rather it provides the means
for consuming energy; it permits the conversion of stored energy into
work. For that purpose, oxygen in the air is used because that is the
way the human body has been designed/evolved (cross-out the participle
which doesn't apply).

SFAIK, only fishes have developed ways of extracting dissolved oxygen
from water with any resultant efficiency in the use of energy.

/geriatric pedant

--
Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam is rejected. Reply-To does work.
Old May 9th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H

Dave Fawthrop writes
wrote:

|!Hi,
|!
|!I'm having a debate with a mate about water sterilisation. We're both quite
|!new to this so lack a bit of knowledge.

If you boil water you kill pathogenic bugs

|!If you boil the water you loose some of the oxygen from it right. Does this
|!mean that you get less energy from the oxygen in the water itself?

You do not *use* oxygen from water, there is quite enough oxygen in the air
for walking up hills or some people even *run* up hills.

Speak for yourself!
--
The man from Atlantis
Old May 9th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roos Eisma

Dave N writes:

SFAIK, only fishes have developed ways of extracting dissolved oxygen
from water with any resultant efficiency in the use of energy.

The OP did not say that they aren't a fish.

Roos

Old May 9th 07, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:

Note however that boiling will not remove all poisons and pesticides,
and doesn't even kill 100% of known germs (but if you boil it for a
reasonable time it will kill the ones that are likely to kill you).

This is true, but note that many highland areas have pure /enough/ water
for the taking anyway. Often the case outside of areas rich in
agro-chemicals that the only effective difference between upland stream
water and bottled mineral water is you're not paying for it. However,
better safe than sorry if you're not confident of the purity.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 9th 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rob G

On 9 May, 11:32, Peter Clinch wrote:
GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:

Note however that boiling will not remove all poisons and pesticides,
and doesn't even kill 100% of known germs (but if you boil it for a
reasonable time it will kill the ones that are likely to kill you).

This is true, but note that many highland areas have pure /enough/ water
for the taking anyway. Often the case outside of areas rich in
agro-chemicals that the only effective difference between upland stream
water and bottled mineral water is you're not paying for it. However,
better safe than sorry if you're not confident of the purity.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Don't we all have stories of drinking from a burn and then finding a
dead sheep in it 50 yds upstream. It's almost guaranteed in the
Clachaig Gully in Glen Coe. And have we ever suffered? No. Some 25
of us of all ages had no effects at all on one occasion I remember.

My understanding - and no doubt the resident biologist will counter
this - is that if the water is flowing rapidly such that it absorbs
oxygen (and I didn't mean to get back to that again), any pathogens
are unable to survive and the water is potable.

Rob

=> bu$h regime vs The United States of America <= Hank Weights 63 September 2nd 05 04:52 PM
Strokes Micheal Artindale Swimming 94 June 28th 05 01:34 AM
Reasons Body Shuts Down T Production? Chris Weights 21 April 14th 05 11:39 AM
Water Boiling Chris Naylor Walking in the UK 15 February 11th 05 12:49 AM
Drink at Least 8 Glasses of Water a Day - Really? Bobo Aerobic 3 September 2nd 03 12:43 AM