Sleeping Bag Liners

Old January 3rd 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rob Devereux

Default Sleeping Bag Liners

"Giles Chamberlin" wrote in message
I use a Rab Quantum 400:
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog...er_Rab_47.html

Not cheap but it meets your small and light criteria. As ever these
things are budget dependent but down tends to last longer than
synthetic and is much lighter for a given warmth.

Worth going to your nearest decent outdoor shop and having a look at a
bunch of different ones to get a feel for what's available. Don't pay
too much attention to temperature ratings. They tend to be consistent
only within a particular manufacturer. What keeps you warm is not the
filling but the loft it generates so a good first stab is just to
compare how thick the bags are - if they're similar thickness, they're
similar warmth. Packed size and weight is easier to compare.

For all-round use and pound for pound(on the basis that I spent more on a
number of unsatisfactory synthetic and fibre pile bags before settling on
down), down bags are hard to beat and I have never been cold in one.

Old January 3rd 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Rob G

On 3 Jan, 14:40, "Rob Devereux" wrote:
I have a meraklon one Paul that someone bought for me from Blacks. On its
own it is fairly useless but inside a sleeping bag, I think it gives it at
least one more point rating in warmth. It isnt too bulky. I know you can
get very thick thermal liners which will significantly add warmth. In my
opinion, the silk liner which i use with my down bag doesnt add anything in
warmth but just allows the bag to stay clean(and therfore supposedly more
efficient.

Rob

"*Paul" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a sleeping bag liner to improve the warmth of my
sleeping bag.
Does anyone know how much difference these make?
Will silk provide better insulation than Cotton?
How many more degrees of protection would I get with a liner?

Cheers

Certainly if you are packing for any distance you want he lightest and
most effective you can get and silk liners fit that category. Like
any product there are always OTT claims, but the small size, etc is
what I'm after.

Rob
Old January 6th 08, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mark T

I'm thinking of buying a sleeping bag liner to improve the warmth of my
sleeping bag.
Does anyone know how much difference these make?

The liner prevents my skin from becoming chilled if I want to stick my legs
or torso out of the bag as the tent warms up in the morning. This makes a
big difference to my comfort.

Will silk provide better insulation than Cotton?

Yes and no. Silk will give better insulation for the same thickness, but
the silk ones are nomally a lot thinner.

How many more degrees of protection would I get with a liner?

My (thin) silk liner claims to give +5 degrees C additional warmth[1] but
that seems way off the mark.

Overall, I'm a fan of liners, but not for raising the season rating of the
bag. Fleece liners would be a very cheap way of doing that, and a good
sleeping mat also makes a heck of a difference.

[1] url:www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mummy-silk-liner-3253257
Old January 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

we are China Triangle International Trade Co. Ltd, a professional
supplier of Sports Shoes, Casual Shoes. We wholesale shoes such as Air
Max Shoes, Air Dunk Shoes, Nike Shox Shoes, Nike Air Force Ones, Nike
Air Jordans, Dsquared Shoes, Bape Shoes, Gucci Shoes, Puma Shoes,
Prada Shoes, Timberland Shoes etc http://www.china-seller.com
We would like to invite you to see our products and the price on our
website: http://www.china-seller.com. Wish you enjoy your stay here.
For further information, please contact us:
Skype: servicebuyer MSN: china-seller[AT]msn.com
AIM: servicebuyer Yahoo: servicebuyer[AT]yahoo.cn
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Welcome to http://www.china-seller.com!
we provide famous brand handbags such as LV Handbags, Gucci Handbags,
Fendi Handbags, Chloe Handbags, Prada Handbags, Coach Handbags, Chanel
Handbags, Miu Miu Handbags, Hermes Handbags and so on. And most
products displayed on our website are available and have stocks here.
Very fast and safe delivery by TNT, DHL, UPS, FedEx and EMS, we can
delivery within 24 hours upon receiving your payment. What's more, you
can get FREE shipping if by EMS! www china-seller com