Another pullup PR - 15 reps w/ bw + 20 lbs.

Old February 19th 09, 04:20 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default Another pullup PR - 15 reps w/ bw + 20 lbs.

Bodyweight + 20 lb. (dumbbell held between my feet, bar was on a Cybex
cable station, angled down at the handles, which were padded) for 15
reps.

Have upped the training volume lately (from very little to still fewer
reps than most people do) and it's helped - will try to keep increasing
volume gradually.

More details he

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettle...tml#post457892

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 2nd 09, 05:06 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Steve Freides" wrote in message
Bodyweight + 20 lb. (dumbbell held between my feet, bar was on a Cybex
cable station, angled down at the handles, which were padded) for 15
reps.

A few more pullup PR's in the last few days:

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg.

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 3rd 09, 02:48 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Adding some numbers to make it easy to compare if you're heavier:

PU - bw + 20 lbs (9 kg) - total weight ~175 lbs, 1 set of 15 reps

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg - total weight ~180 lbs

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg. - total weight ~190 lbs

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 3-4 reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 4-5
reps

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 3rd 09, 05:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Steve Freides wrote:

Adding some numbers to make it easy to compare if you're heavier:

PU - bw + 20 lbs (9 kg) - total weight ~175 lbs, 1 set of 15 reps

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg - total weight ~180 lbs

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg. - total weight ~190 lbs

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 3-4 reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 4-5
reps

Impressive stuff!

I'm up to five reps with bodyweight + 0 - but even then, my ROM is
terrible, with my hands only coming to about ear level. I'm working on it.

tom

--
It is better to create badly than to appreciate well. -- Gareth Jones
Old March 3rd 09, 06:34 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl[_2_]

"Steve Freides" writes:

Adding some numbers to make it easy to compare if you're heavier:

PU - bw + 20 lbs (9 kg) - total weight ~175 lbs, 1 set of 15 reps

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg - total weight ~180 lbs

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg. - total weight ~190 lbs

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 3-4 reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 4-5
reps

Well done. Thanks once again for the encouragement to push myself in
this area.

Jason
Old March 3rd 09, 07:53 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
th.li...
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Steve Freides wrote:

Adding some numbers to make it easy to compare if you're heavier:

PU - bw + 20 lbs (9 kg) - total weight ~175 lbs, 1 set of 15 reps

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg - total weight ~180 lbs

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg. - total weight ~190 lbs

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 3-4
reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 4-5
reps

Impressive stuff!

I'm up to five reps with bodyweight + 0 - but even then, my ROM is
terrible, with my hands only coming to about ear level. I'm working on
it.

Full ROM is important - I see _so_ many people whose elbows go from a
little more than 90 degrees at the bottom to about 90 degrees at the
top, and they call that a pullup. It is good for your joints to go
through a full r.o.m., even if you don't get as many reps, because
you'll be building strength throughout a full range of motion and that's
always a good thing.

I try to touch below my Adam's Apple on every rep - doesn't always
happen, but it leaves room for me still to get my chin to the bar. The
Party has a lot of wise advise about pullups - here is some:

Do all reps as explosively as possible. In particular, since the middle
of the r.o.m. is easier, use it to accelerate towards the top and you
will definitely get higher that way. Likewise, start the bottom with
feeling of compression in the midsection (like a karate "kiya") and
sucking the shoulders down into their sockets, and focus throughout
movement on pulling your elbows down to your sides. At the top, focus
on a figher's guard-like position, with shoulders slightly forward, pecs
firing, and a very tight grip on the bar. At the bottom, especially if
you happen to have postural issues like I do, focus on a "big chest"
kind of posture but be sure not to let the shoulders get overly lax at
the bottom. To build strength for the top position, pause there in
training but not when going for max reps. You will get fewer reps in
training but you'll get stronger and get more reps when you really want
them.

Last but not least, do vary your training - work both the pullup and
chinup grip, go for long sets sometimes, more shorter sets others,
ladders yet others, and vary the weight as well - if you can get 5 reps
w/ bodyweight, then see if you can get one or two solid reps with an
additional 10 lbs. You can even do drop sets this way, doing weighted
work first and then bodyweight only afterwards.

Gentlemen, I'm now awaiting the reports after both of you try all of
these techniques.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 4th 09, 11:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

Yet another PR today: 16 pullups @ bw + 20 lb. dumbbell held between my
feet - elbows straight and no kip to chin touching the bar, might have
had one more in me if my life had depended on it but the last rep was
definitely a grind. The first 10 or so were pretty easy.

I've been training pullups 5-6 days a week, so I guess this is proof
that to do a lot of pullups, you have to do a lot of pullups. April 4
is the TSC, after which I'll back off on these some and probably work on
my 1RM.

-S-

Old March 5th 09, 02:14 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Chris Malcolm

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Steve Freides wrote:

Adding some numbers to make it easy to compare if you're heavier:

PU - bw + 20 lbs (9 kg) - total weight ~175 lbs, 1 set of 15 reps

PU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 12 kg - total weight ~180 lbs

CU ladder 12345 w/ bw + 16 kg. - total weight ~190 lbs

PU: bw + 32 kg x 2 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 3-4 reps

CU: bw + 32 kg x 3 reps - total weight ~225 lbs. - max probably 4-5
reps

Impressive stuff!

I'm up to five reps with bodyweight + 0 - but even then, my ROM is
terrible, with my hands only coming to about ear level. I'm working on it.

Just by way of joining and encouraging the gang of low rep low weight
strugglers I've recently resumed my nearly daily pullups after weeks
of none due to an illness. It's taken me a few weeks to get up from
the three I'd fallen back to today's six. The best I've been up to in
the last few years has been ten. A combination of injuries, ilnnesses,
and plan old laziness have prevented me from getting back to ten since
then. But I haven't given up!

The other exercises I do specifically for exercise and log (as opposed
to going for walks, gardening, etc.) are one armed weight lifts, where
I'm lifting around 14kg around five times, and one legged standups,
which at the moment only my strong leg can do just one of.

At 67 and skinny I'm not trying to build muscle, just as much strength
as I can easily acquire to keep me vigorous for as long as possible.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old March 5th 09, 09:15 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Chris Malcolm" wrote

At 67 and skinny I'm not trying to build muscle, just as much strength
as I can easily acquire to keep me vigorous for as long as possible.

Skinny is good for pullups for most people.

More tips he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwAyylq4IZQ

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old March 6th 09, 12:39 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Steve Freides wrote:

"Chris Malcolm" wrote

At 67 and skinny I'm not trying to build muscle, just as much strength
as I can easily acquire to keep me vigorous for as long as possible.

Skinny is good for pullups for most people.

yup. that's why i'm no good at them: i'm just too damn buff for my own
good.

More tips he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwAyylq4IZQ

he has a toy wheelbarrow full of kettlebells, he thinks bikes are some
kind of wall-hanging, and he tells people to suck their shoulders into
their body. any more complete nutjobs you'd like to point us at?

tom

--
i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do
it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean