Training week ending July 18 2010

Old July 19th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.running
outsideinmi

Default Training week ending July 18 2010

40 miles here with a speedwork (2mile tempo and 1 mile hard) and a 5k race
in 20:12. Need some speed and a VO2 max boost with marathon 14 days away.

Old July 19th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.running
outsideinmi

What marathon are you running? Temps in MI seem to be in the same
range as OH ... pretty hot lately so hang in there. Street course or
trail? Any guesses at your time?

Hey John, Grand Island Trail marathon
http://www.greatlakesendurance.com/g...-marathon.html - 100%
trail with lots of elevation gain/loss on an island in lake superior.
Usually get some nice cool lake breezes with temp in the upper 50-lower
60's. I've run this particular marathon 5 times and been anywhere in the
3:19-3:39 range depending on fitness level and conditions (thunderstorm one
year). This year I'd guess on the higher end of the range - probably 3:35.
Hopefully i can place in my age group for the 6th year in a row. Then 3
weeks after this its the Marquette 50k - 32.6 miles of rocky rooty hilly
gnarly trail fun in the Upper Peninsula again. This one has 4500+ feet of
elevation gain/loss and last year took me 5+ hours (with a top 10 finish!).

JKal.

Old July 19th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.running
Anthony[_2_]

"outsideinmi" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck in both! Sounds like fun.
Are you going all out in the 1st marathon?
Have you run this 50k race after the marathon before?

Anthony.

Old July 20th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.running
outsideinmi

Good luck in both! Sounds like fun.
Are you going all out in the 1st marathon?
Have you run this 50k race after the marathon before?

Anthony.

Hey Anthony - I say right now I won't go "all out" in the first marathon but
I always do!! Hard to hold back on the racing instincts at the 22 mile mark
when someone tries to pass you. Last year I did this same double - marathon
then 50k but it was 4 weeks apart. This year it is only 3 weeks so most
likely the 50k will just be a "fun run" with a buddy thats doing only his
second marathonish type event.

Jkal.