Rucksack Recommendations

Old January 4th 13, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Syd Rumpo

Default Rucksack Recommendations

Hello

Not really a walking query, but I thought people here might know.

I need a new rucksack for shopping - carrying groceries etc home from
town, probably not much more than a mile. It needs to be big (60l+),
strong, few pockets, weight doesn't matter and comfort is secondary.
And cheap.

I've worn out several smaller ones by overloading them, and a lot of the
bigger capacity bags seem to be ideal for sleeping bags but not strong
enough for shopping.

TIA

Cheers
--
Syd
Old January 4th 13, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordonbp

On 04/01/13 17:32, Syd Rumpo wrote:

strong, And cheap.

Unfortunately I think you are going to find that "strong" and "cheap"
are mutually exclusive.

If you really want something strong (and heavy!) to carry shopping then
an old external framed Commando bergen would seem to fit the bill.

http://ww2-reenactor.com/shopexd.asp?id=3099

Old January 4th 13, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:32:06 +0000, Syd Rumpo
wrote:

I need a new rucksack for shopping - carrying groceries etc home from
town, probably not much more than a mile. It needs to be big (60l+),
strong, few pockets, weight doesn't matter and comfort is secondary.
And cheap.

An angler's sack like the korum itm fits everything except cheap

AJH
Old January 7th 13, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Peter Clinch

wrote:

I need a new rucksack for shopping - carrying groceries etc home from
town, probably not much more than a mile. It needs to be big (60l+),
strong, few pockets, weight doesn't matter and comfort is secondary.
And cheap.

An angler's sack like the korum itm fits everything except cheap

AJH

I would ask for one on Freecycle or equivalent sites or look in charity
shops.
However I work in a charity shop in a walking area and there is always a
demand for the larger size ( ie 40l) whatever the condition.
I would question whether you really need such a large one , unless you
are going to fill it with paper products a 25/30litre one a couple of
comfortable bags for the light groceries may be more manageable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I need a large one as I find I can easily
carry a lot of weight in a rucksack, but bags in my hands make my neck
hurt. Don't know why - posture or summink I expect.

Basket on wheels is the classic solution for shopping on foot. They
died out because people stopped shopping on foot, not because they were bad.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 7th 13, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
PeterC

wrote:

I need a new rucksack for shopping - carrying groceries etc home from
town, probably not much more than a mile. It needs to be big (60l+),
strong, few pockets, weight doesn't matter and comfort is secondary.
And cheap.

An angler's sack like the korum itm fits everything except cheap

AJH

I would ask for one on Freecycle or equivalent sites or look in charity
shops.
However I work in a charity shop in a walking area and there is always a
demand for the larger size ( ie 40l) whatever the condition.
I would question whether you really need such a large one , unless you
are going to fill it with paper products a 25/30litre one a couple of
comfortable bags for the light groceries may be more manageable.

I use a large sack and hate carrying bags. Sometimes the only bus for nearly
an hour stops 2 miles from home and even a couple of loaves (easily
deformable in a sack) are a nuisance for that distance.
I'd recommend a couple of side pockets at least for delicate items. Vertical
packing is an art in itself and needs a stationary conveyor on which to put
the items.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old January 7th 13, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
PeterC

wrote:

[...]

Also useless for a mile or three unless the wheels are up to it - also twist
the spine. OK for old dears but not much else (apart from shopping).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old January 7th 13, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , PeterC
writes
On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:35:34 +0000, Peter Clinch wrote:

Basket on wheels is the classic solution for shopping on foot. They
died out because people stopped shopping on foot, not because they were bad.
Pete.

Also useless for a mile or three unless the wheels are up to it - also twist
the spine. OK for old dears but not much else (apart from shopping).

Some years ago I saw a young woman in distress near my gate, her
shopping trolley wheel having collapsed. It was soon clear that it
couldn't be repaired, so I gallantly offered to carry it for her on my
shoulder, only a few hundred yards to where she lived.
By the time we reached her house my shoulder was aching, and I was near
collapse, and the woman was looking concerned...

A day or so later an envelope was put through our letterbox with a nice
'thank you' card from the her... Made it all worth while. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old January 13th 13, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:43:47 +0000, robert wrote:

I would question whether you really need such a large one , unless you
are going to fill it with paper products a 25/30litre one a couple of
comfortable bags for the light groceries may be more manageable.

I use a large sack and hate carrying bags. Sometimes the only bus for nearly
an hour stops 2 miles from home and even a couple of loaves (easily
deformable in a sack) are a nuisance for that distance.

Yes. A 25/30 litre one isn't really much use even for very heavy
items like wine bottles. I have come back from France and Belgium
with a nominal 75 litre pack (acually 65) nearly full of booze in
bottles. That was only 30 Kg.

I would like a decent pack for walking, larger than that one, but I
can't find one at any price. They almost all have a catastrophic
number of gimmicks or no side pockets, and have the bottom of the
pack coming below the waist strap (and thus on the back of my pelvis).
Ideally, I want one capable of carrying 25 Kg and 80 litres, with
two side and a top pocket and few other gimmicks.

I'd recommend a couple of side pockets at least for delicate items. Vertical
packing is an art in itself and needs a stationary conveyor on which to put
the items.

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.