Nerd vs Muscle Discussion

Old March 23rd 04, 01:35 AM
Lee Michaels

Default Nerd vs Muscle Discussion

I got into a discussion about the limits and extremes of human intelligence
and athlethic ability or strength. The general argument goes something like
this.

Whatever super nerds exists out there, they generally have bodies to match.
They are not strong or athletic. And this is somehow a result of having "too
much" brain power.

The super atletes or strong have the same problem. If they got it
physically, they won't be all that smart.

The general consensus was that although there are some folks who are strong,
athletic AND smart, they are rare. And they do NOT include the super smart.

One could certainly argue that the reason these guys aren't all that
athletic or strongis because they don't train for it. But why train for
something if you don't have the genetic potential in the first place?

And the super athletes cwould naturally gravitate to what the are good at.
Which is the physical activity. And no amount of training would make them a
super nerd. It may make them more educated. But they will never be super
smart like somebody born to it.

Now I know this is UNXCIENTIFIC as hell. But a lot of folks feel that there
is only so many brain cells to go around. If you were a nerd, fine. If you
had very many more abilities, it cut down on the nerd potential.

At least that is the poop down at the water cooler.

--
Lee Michaels

Old March 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
Micky Snir

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news[email protected]_s02...
[...]

you sound like a very athletic guy ;-)

Micky.

--
Lee Michaels

Old March 23rd 04, 01:59 AM
Lee Michaels

"Micky Snir" wrote in message

[...]

Not really.

But we humans do have a great need to place everybody into neat little
catagories. And for some reason, folks in the US seem to have a
pathological fear of muscles. Something that is not the case in many other
parts of the world. Obviously the discussion here is skewed with this major
prejudice.

Old March 23rd 04, 02:00 AM
John Hanson

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:35:32 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

[...]

I disagree. There are some very stupid nerdy people as well as genius
athletic people. I think that jocks probably give far more attention
to the physical and the brain part suffers and vice versa for the
nerds and that may be why there seems to be a discrepancy.

I read once were Thomas Edison, about the age of 80 at the time, was
at a MLB game for some sort of photo op/promotion. He was to stand in
the batters box with a bat and the pitcher was to throw him a couple
of pitches while the photographers snapped pictures. Well, he hit the
3rd pitch for a line drive into centerfield. He timed the pitches, as
well as his swing, and correctly estimated when he should swing at the
ball.

Old March 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
Lyle McDonald

Lee Michaels wrote:

[...]

Try this for a half-baked premise.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/for...ighlight=boobs

http://tinyurl.com/39wpp

Lyle

Old March 23rd 04, 02:45 AM
John M. Williams

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

[...]

I think it's more a function of time and environment, along with
genetic potentials. A child will naturally focus his time in
perfecting his best innate abilities, at least to the extent that it
gets him gratification, particularly in terms of positive attention
from his parents and his peers. Naturally smart kids will focus more
time on their studies and will get even smarter; naturally athletic
kids will focus more time on sports and become more athletic.

Of course, parental and peer pressures can modify a child's pursuit of
their innate abilities. Sometimes that works out well; other times,
it can really **** a kid up. Some kids will develop both abilities,
while other kids will be directed away from something they're good at
and forced into something at which they really suck. Parents with
personal agendas (usually ones vicariously imposing their own
insecurities onto their children) are often responsible for the
latter.

Biomechanics of Muscle Nutrition Rob Bechard Aerobic 0 March 9th 04 01:43 AM
Nerd Report: new old muscle elzinator Weights 23 December 10th 03 05:27 AM
Stretching before Workout PageWithStuff.com Weights 19 December 10th 03 04:39 AM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 10:43 PM