Nerd vs Muscle Discussion

Old March 23rd 04, 06:18 AM
Jeff Finlayson

Default Nerd vs Muscle Discussion

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

Here's an alternative theory":

Suppose that 1 in a million people get to be "super athletes", and also,
1 in a million get to become what you'd call a "super nerd". Assuming that
these two factors are no antagonistic, but *independent*, the chance of a
given "super athlete" also being a "super nerd" is 1 in a million. Likewise,
the chance of a given "super nerd" being a "super athlete" is also 1 in a
million. So that means that if you were to name all the "super athletes" you
can think of, it's almost certain that not one of them will also be a "super
nerd", leading you to conclude, perhaps, that being a "super athlete" prevents
one from being a "super nerd".

If the nerd and athlete traits are indepedent, the probability of both
ocurring in one person would be much less than 1 in a million like below.
It'd be (1 in a millon) times (1 in a million) or 1 in a million squared (10^12)
I beleive. This puts it in perspective.

Now when you look at the population of celebrities in isolation, these factors
appear to be antagonists, because (most probably) not one of the "nerds" is
also an "athlete". But this ignores the fact that many of the "nerds" may
actually be somewhat athletic, but this is ignored because
(a) they're known for their nerdiness but not their athleticism and
(b) if they're only 1-in-100 athletic but 1-in-a-million "nerdy", then their
athleticism is still overshadowed by their nerdiness, and
(c) if they're only 1-in-100 athletic, then they're still not even close to the
"athlete" celebrities (who are 1-in-a-million athletic)

So even if these two factors were orthogonal, a naive observer could draw
exactly the same conclusions that you have.

This is a reasonable theory, btw.

In support of my theory, there are people like Jim Ryun (high school 4 minute
miler, US congressman), Jack Daniels (research scientist, olympic medalist),
Roger Bannister (graduate of Oxford med school and 4 minute miler), etc.

Well that Jack Daniels wouldn't be the whisey distiller (Jack Daniel no s).

Cheers,

Old March 23rd 04, 06:20 AM
Rambo Four Sythia

geek_girl writes:

In MJL wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:29:43 -0600, Lyle McDonald
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/39wpp

Lyle

I think women have a lot harder time finding sex than is commonly
believed. I think they put as much effort into it as men, in fact.

LMGAO

Let me get an orange?

--
R4S

Old March 23rd 04, 06:25 AM
Dally

Lee Michaels wrote:

I got into a discussion about the limits and extremes of human intelligence
and athlethic ability or strength. The general argument goes something like
this.

Whatever super nerds exists out there, they generally have bodies to match.
They are not strong or athletic. And this is somehow a result of having "too
much" brain power.

I just don't see that at all. I think it has more to do with paying
attention to different things. Very brainy people can find things to
occupy themselves outside of their own body.

Think of it this way: we're all issued the same standard equipment.
Some people get so excited about working on their equipment that they
forget that they could actually being using the equipment to do
something. The super nerds are so busy going places and doing things
with their bodies that they don't bother standing still doing stuff with
their bodies.

The super atletes or strong have the same problem. If they got it
physically, they won't be all that smart.

I don't see this at all. Most of the good athletes I've known have been
pretty bright. Brighter than the average population, anyway. Is there
some sort of correlation between being athletic and stupid that I've missed?

I know a lot of nerds. They just don't care about their bodies. It
isn't that they're genetically incapable of training, it just isn't in
their value system

Dally, who is nerdy, athletic and the mother of three

Old March 23rd 04, 06:28 AM
Proton Soup

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:03:02 -0600, "PhatDaddy"
wrote:

This is an interesting topic for me as I am a 6' 2" 350 pound computer nerd
that on occasion can put up 405 on the bench. Not nessessarly a genius but
a self taught network engineer and computer programmer. I grew up wanting
to be the biggest, strongest, and smartest. This is sounding really vain, I
can feel my head getting bigger. :-)

Take your hand out of your pants, smart guy.

Proton Soup

Old March 23rd 04, 06:28 AM
Dally

Rambo Four Sythia wrote:

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/39wpp

Lyle

I think women have a lot harder time finding sex than is commonly
believed. I think they put as much effort into it as men, in fact.

LMGAO

Let me get an orange?

I figured she meant "laughing my girly ass off."

But I read Lyle's input. I was struck by two things. First of all, the
guy has no progeny, which seems to suggest to me that he doesn't quite
know what it takes to reproduce. Second of all, he thinks the movie
"Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" was a documentary.

Dally

Old March 23rd 04, 06:39 AM
Dally

wrote:

This is an interesting topic for me as I am a 6' 2" 350 pound computer nerd
that on occasion can put up 405 on the bench. Not nessessarly a genius but
a self taught network engineer and computer programmer. I grew up wanting
to be the biggest, strongest, and smartest. This is sounding really vain, I
can feel my head getting bigger. :-)

Take your hand out of your pants, smart guy.

I assume that he's wearing a kilt.

Dally

Biomechanics of Muscle Nutrition Rob Bechard Aerobic 0 March 9th 04 01:43 AM
Nerd Report: new old muscle elzinator Weights 23 December 10th 03 05:27 AM
Stretching before Workout PageWithStuff.com Weights 19 December 10th 03 04:39 AM
DC Training (long) T-REx Weights 24 November 15th 03 03:19 AM
Why do the BBing Mags keep lying about weights? Robert Schuh Weights 41 November 9th 03 10:43 PM