Are Women Different?

Old May 2nd 04, 08:34 PM
Bruce

Default Are Women Different?

My wife has been working out with me for 6 months. In some exercises, she
has made steady progress, meaning strength gains. In others, she is
basically doing the same weight or only a bit more than she did when we
started. I try to push her harder, to encourage her to add more resistance
but she really doesn't seem to be any stronger.

An example is dips. She uses the machine that simulates dips. She does
3x10 with 1 set at 30lbs and 2 sets at 40lbs. She has been on that for 3
months. But if I move her to 50lbs, she can't do 3 reps.

Suggestions? Advice?
Old May 2nd 04, 09:19 PM
frank-in-toronto

On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:34:16 GMT, (Bruce) wrote:

My wife has been working out with me for 6 months. In some exercises, she
has made steady progress, meaning strength gains. In others, she is
basically doing the same weight or only a bit more than she did when we
started. I try to push her harder, to encourage her to add more resistance
but she really doesn't seem to be any stronger.

An example is dips. She uses the machine that simulates dips. She does
3x10 with 1 set at 30lbs and 2 sets at 40lbs. She has been on that for 3
months. But if I move her to 50lbs, she can't do 3 reps.

sure. the jump is too big. looks like her strength limit
is somewhere in between 40 and 50. your machine
might have a way to only add 5 pounds. or, if not,
get her a small dumbell that she could hold
somehow (like on her belt or if she's kneeling
on a pad, on that). then adjust the weight
you're selecting. so, make her weight increment
less.

maybe your protocol stinks. look around and get something else.
try periodization. waves or something like that. i'm trying
a 5 week program that mr keith hobman posted. in the end,
after 5 weeks, there is a guaranteed strength raise. can't go
wrong. a woman i work out with is trying it too. works fine.

the numbers are per cents of your proposed max. there are more
details which I don't have handy, but this is the general idea.

week 1 85 85
week 2 85 85
week 3 105/3 reps 95
week 4 95 75
week 5 100

it's difficult to translate to smaller weights because the diff
between 95 and 85, for instance, may not match up with
the weights available. but close enough is better than
nothing.

another point is that some people give up when really
they could do a lot more. another purpose this routine
serves is to give confidence. you tell her this routine
came from the powerlifting community. that it works.
right away she'll be successful
....thehick

Old May 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Adam Fahy

Bruce wrote:
My wife has been working out with me for 6 months. In some exercises, she
has made steady progress, meaning strength gains. In others, she is
basically doing the same weight or only a bit more than she did when we
started. I try to push her harder, to encourage her to add more resistance
but she really doesn't seem to be any stronger.

An example is dips. She uses the machine that simulates dips. She does
3x10 with 1 set at 30lbs and 2 sets at 40lbs. She has been on that for 3
months. But if I move her to 50lbs, she can't do 3 reps.

So she should use something far less, like 42.5 pounds.

-Adam

Old May 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
Keith Hobman

Yes. Thank God.

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling

Old May 3rd 04, 07:05 PM
gideon

"Keith Hobman" wrote in message
Yes. Thank God.

kindergarten cop

boys have penises and girls have vaginas

/kindergarten cop

hth

whit

Old May 3rd 04, 11:29 PM
dwacon

Mentally and physically. Jury is out on spiritually...

--
The Love Machine
http://tinyurl.com/28uyc

Training with Graves disease Mick Russell Weights 33 January 29th 04 03:02 PM
Women Fitness Namita General 29 November 20th 03 11:43 PM
Why do fat women turn men off? The Danimal Weights 48 October 25th 03 06:16 PM
Men and Women need testosterone as they age TonyZ2001 Weights 4 September 30th 03 10:56 PM
ZOG Focuses on White Women gary Weights 7 August 23rd 03 05:23 PM