Are Women Different?

Old May 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
dwacon

Default Are Women Different?

Mentally and physically. Jury is out on spiritually...

--
The Love Machine
http://tinyurl.com/28uyc

Old May 4th 04, 09:18 AM
Larry Hodges

"Bruce" wrote in message
My wife has been working out with me for 6 months. In some exercises, she
has made steady progress, meaning strength gains. In others, she is
basically doing the same weight or only a bit more than she did when we
started. I try to push her harder, to encourage her to add more

resistance
but she really doesn't seem to be any stronger.

An example is dips. She uses the machine that simulates dips. She does
3x10 with 1 set at 30lbs and 2 sets at 40lbs. She has been on that for 3
months. But if I move her to 50lbs, she can't do 3 reps.

Suggestions? Advice?

Well, this is sure to cement my popularity in MFW. Elzi, Dally, QoCaJ,
don't hate me *too* much please.

I've come to the conclusion that most women are lazy ducking, running for
cover. I'm 47, single, and obviously broad shopping. I'm also in great
shape. 15% BF, feel great, eat right. Have most of my adult life. It's a
lifestyle to me. And I know lots of other guys in my age group that are in
good shape too. But almost all of the women I meet in my age group are,
well...fat and *way* out of shape. I don't know another way to put it.
Even the ones at the gym don't really work out. They'll sit on a machine or
bike and read a book or mag. Or just walk on the treadmill and chat with a
friend the entire time. I only know of two at my gym in the three years
I've gone there that take training seriously (we're talking my age here, not
the young ones). And I don't just mean lifting, but being passionate about
*any* form of fitness. A bunch always sign up at the end of winter to make
an attempt to get in some sort of shape for summer. But most drop out by
this time of the year.

I talked to a gal reading her book on a machine the other day. Here's how
it went. I wasn't hitting on her, just trying to help and understand.
Smiling, I say "How can you work out and read a book at the same time?". To
which she replied "I'm not hard core". Translation: My husband complains
about my ass being the size of a Kia, so if I come here to read, he'll leave
me alone. And if he does complain, I can say "hey, I'm going to the
gym...what more do you want?".

And then the ones not in the gym are worse. I live in Oregon...maybe it's
different in your part of the country. But I'd say out of 100 woman I see
while shopping, etc, 98 are *way* out of shape and heavy. And 75 of those
I'd consider obese.

Then us guys get branded as "shallow" by these women because we want a gal
that takes care of herself. I'm not a shallow guy. I don't date just for
the sex or nice body. I want brains and a nice personality and all that
crap too.

Elzi, I've seen your pics from a link off Hudson's site. You look great.
Obviously, you're not included in my complaint above. But am I wrong in
this assessment? Most guys my age are out of shape and over weight as well,
but not to the degree women are. Not even close.

To help counter the mess I've just made above, I love women. I respect
women. I'm not trying to insult them, but rather am pointing out what I've
observed over the years. Is there something that makes it hard for them to
get motivated about fitness? Obviously, most women have the desire to be
slim. Just consider all the infomercials targeting them. Ladies, correct
my assessment if I'm wrong here. Guys, am I right?

-Larry

Old May 4th 04, 12:29 PM
Hugh Beyer

"Larry Hodges" wrote in
:

[...]

It's all adaptive, you see. Men are the hunters in the hunter/gatherer tribe,
and have to stay in shape to hunt. Women are the gatherers; all they need is
a good, comfortable base to sit on, and the ability to move slowly from place
to place. They're just fulfilling their natural function.

LOL LOL

You can explain anything by blaming it on evolution. You know why women can
find things and men can't? Ever lose a mastodon? But being able to pick out
the one berry in a mass of dead leaves is a gatherer skill...

Hugh, always ready to help a fellow guy dig himself in deeper

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

Old May 4th 04, 03:01 PM
Bob MacWilliam

"Larry Hodges" wrote in message ...
"Bruce" wrote in message
My wife has been working out with me for 6 months. In some exercises, she
has made steady progress, meaning strength gains. In others, she is
basically doing the same weight or only a bit more than she did when we
started. I try to push her harder, to encourage her to add more

resistance
but she really doesn't seem to be any stronger.

An example is dips. She uses the machine that simulates dips. She does
3x10 with 1 set at 30lbs and 2 sets at 40lbs. She has been on that for 3
months. But if I move her to 50lbs, she can't do 3 reps.

Suggestions? Advice?

Well, this is sure to cement my popularity in MFW. Elzi, Dally, QoCaJ,
don't hate me *too* much please.

I've come to the conclusion that most women are lazy ducking, running for
cover.

snip

So are most men.

Elzi, I've seen your pics from a link off Hudson's site. You look great.
Obviously, you're not included in my complaint above. But am I wrong in
this assessment? Most guys my age are out of shape and over weight as well,
but not to the degree women are. Not even close.

Nope. Men are fatter than women according to the stats.

To help counter the mess I've just made above, I love women. I respect
women. I'm not trying to insult them, but rather am pointing out what I've
observed over the years. Is there something that makes it hard for them to
get motivated about fitness? Obviously, most women have the desire to be
slim. Just consider all the infomercials targeting them. Ladies, correct
my assessment if I'm wrong here. Guys, am I right?

-Larry

I think it's true that men just care less about being fat and mayber
there's more pressure for women to be thin and the fat loss industry
targets women more, but the numbers say men are fatter.

Bob

Old May 4th 04, 03:28 PM
carla

"Larry Hodges" wrote in message ...

Well, this is sure to cement my popularity in MFW. Elzi, Dally, QoCaJ,
don't hate me *too* much please.

I've come to the conclusion that most women are lazy ducking, running for
cover.

[snip]
To help counter the mess I've just made above, I love women. I respect
women. I'm not trying to insult them, but rather am pointing out what I've
observed over the years. Is there something that makes it hard for them to
get motivated about fitness? Obviously, most women have the desire to be
slim. Just consider all the infomercials targeting them. Ladies, correct
my assessment if I'm wrong here.

[snip]

Two comments, from a fat, out-of-shape 32 year old woman who is trying
to improve.

(1) I think you are being a bit unfair by singling out women as lazy
and uncommitted to their training. There are plenty of men who don't
go to the gym at all, and are as fat and out of shape as the women you
have targeted with your comments. There are also plenty of men who do
go to the gym but don't work out as hard as necessary to really
improve.

(2) To the extent that your observations do hold for more women than
men, I think there is for many women (particularly of a certain age) a
lifetime of conditioning away from hard physical activity. They
didn't play sports as teenagers and they never learned *how* to work
out hard; they never had the conditioning or the coaching. If you
don't know what it feels like to have an elevated heart rate - if no
one ever tells you that if you are working out properly you shouldn't
be able to concentrate on reading while it is going on -you won't know
that what you are doing isn't very effective. If you've never done it
before you don't know just what you are capable of doing - you think
you can't push any harder because you are out of shape.

Another issue is that in an effort to get lazy fat people off of their
butts and out of their SUVs, a lot of popular outlets for information
say things like "something is better than nothing" and "even parking
on the far side of the lot will add some benefits." I frequently
wonder if this kind of "one step at a time" encouragement can actually
backfire stupdendously, by encouraging people to believe that they are
actually getting exercise by walking two hundred feet across a flat
parking lot at 2.0 mph.

--
carla
http://geekofalltrades.typepad.com/geek

Old May 4th 04, 03:38 PM
Lyle McDonald

carla wrote:

(1) I think you are being a bit unfair by singling out women as lazy
and uncommitted to their training. There are plenty of men who don't
go to the gym at all, and are as fat and out of shape as the women you
have targeted with your comments. There are also plenty of men who do
go to the gym but don't work out as hard as necessary to really
improve.

When a man gets fat, it's a sign of affluence. Also, with a tool this
big, gotta build a shed over it.

When a female gets fat, it harms her mating value because fatness harms
fertility.

Hence the double standard: women are judged more for this. In a purely
evolutionary sense, they are harmed more by it. A man who is fat has
the resources to obtain plenty of food, that' good. A woman who is fat
has lower chance to successfully carry to term, which is bad.

(2) To the extent that your observations do hold for more women than
men, I think there is for many women (particularly of a certain age) a
lifetime of conditioning away from hard physical activity. They
didn't play sports as teenagers and they never learned *how* to work
out hard; they never had the conditioning or the coaching.

All true.

Another issue is that in an effort to get lazy fat people off of their
butts and out of their SUVs, a lot of popular outlets for information
say things like "something is better than nothing" and "even parking
on the far side of the lot will add some benefits." I frequently
wonder if this kind of "one step at a time" encouragement can actually
backfire stupdendously, by encouraging people to believe that they are
actually getting exercise by walking two hundred feet across a flat
parking lot at 2.0 mph.

It's a tough call.
On the one hand, if you dump people into too much too soon, they usually
drop out. They get too sore, or injured or are just miserable.

On the other, if they start out slowly and never get the message that
they have to eventually increase something, they won't get anywhere.

I think with beginners, you're far better off starting with too little
than too much. But you have to have progression (in intensity, volume,
frequency, something) built into the program and understood as well.
People seem to hear "You should start slow" as "You should always go
slow" and wonder why they don't get anywhere.

FWIW, there's a general gender interaction with this too: men typically
try to do too much too soon (hey, I benched 185 when I wa in high school
and even though I haven't lifted weights in 15 years, I'll start there)
and women don't want to to too much ever (unless they are coaxed gradually).

It's a fine line to walk.

Lyle

Training with Graves disease Mick Russell Weights 33 January 29th 04 02:02 PM
Women Fitness Namita General 29 November 20th 03 10:43 PM
Why do fat women turn men off? The Danimal Weights 48 October 25th 03 05:16 PM
Men and Women need testosterone as they age TonyZ2001 Weights 4 September 30th 03 09:56 PM
ZOG Focuses on White Women gary Weights 7 August 23rd 03 04:23 PM