Sleep

Old May 27th 04, 07:13 PM
Tony

Default Sleep

Proton Soup wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:24:08 -0600, "Mike Sigman"
wrote:

"Pierre Honeyman" wrote in message
. com...
I'm a ****ty sleeper and I always have been. I tend towards getting
4-5 hours/night during the week, and 10 or so on one weekend day. My
problems a
- getting to sleep;
- staying asleep.

Every now and then I get near total insomnia for a week or so.

Since I'm obviously too cheap/lazy to go to a sleep clinic, I thought
I'd ask if anyone on the group has had similar sleeping problems, and
if they've managed to get them sorted out, and how.

Try taking a Benadryl. A lot of people do that, apparently.

I am finding that this does help me. In part, I think it helps me
breathe easier at night. And I don't get a hangover type effect that
sominex (sorry can't recall the chemical name now) gives me. I've
probably got some airway obstruction going on, I know my sinuses suck.
I'm also one of those people that experiences drowsiness from
benadryl, but apparently this isn't universal.

Benadryl and Sominex are the same: Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Most of
the older antihistamines also double as sleeping pills, due to the strong
drowsiness. It has the added advantage of making it easier to breathe.

You probably have problems with Sominex due to the "inactive" ingredients,
rather than the primary active one.

Old May 27th 04, 07:32 PM
Kirk Lawson

Tony wrote:

Benadryl and Sominex are the same: Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Most of
the older antihistamines also double as sleeping pills, due to the strong
drowsiness. It has the added advantage of making it easier to breathe.

Chlorpheniramine always worked for me.

Peace favor your sword (IH)
--
"In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or
knowledge of their use."
Old May 27th 04, 07:50 PM
Chas

"Pierre Honeyman" wrote
Since I'm obviously too cheap/lazy to go to a sleep clinic, I thought
I'd ask if anyone on the group has had similar sleeping problems, and
if they've managed to get them sorted out, and how.

Use it as a practice tool.
One of the practices almost totally ignored in the West is the idea of
structuring sleep in about three hour segments that are interrupted by
sessions of breathing/chanting, chi kung type things. Muslims chant
quotes/prayers, and this is the time that one calls the djinn.
What it does is keep you practice centered. You only do it about ten
minutes, and go back to sleep. After a while, you go in and out of sleep
easily, and take good benefit from it.

Chas

Old May 27th 04, 07:54 PM
bolt thrower

: I had a bud in college who had chroinic insomnia. He'd have a friend
: slap a blood choke on him and sleep for a couple of hours.

What is a blood choke?
Old May 27th 04, 07:57 PM
B Walker

Karim Rashad wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:10:31 -0700, Pierre Honeyman wrote:

I'm a ****ty sleeper and I always have been. I tend towards getting 4-5
hours/night during the week, and 10 or so on one weekend day. My
problems a
- getting to sleep;
- staying asleep.

snip

Mike's suggestion of an anti-histamine is a pretty good one, I reckon, but
that could easily be psychologically habit-forming too. A hot bath and
some camomile tea just before bed works best for me, I've found.

If you can find Lemon Balm, make a really strong tea outta that.. and
you'll get sleep....

--
DoD# 2223, OFCC #3122
Meum scapha volitare plenum anguillae

Old May 27th 04, 08:09 PM
Badger North

On Thu, 27 May 2004 18:54:35 +0000 (UTC), bolt thrower
wrote:

: I had a bud in college who had chroinic insomnia. He'd have a friend
: slap a blood choke on him and sleep for a couple of hours.

What is a blood choke?

A choke that focuses on cutting off the blood flow to the brain, as
opposed to cutting off the air supply to the lungs.

Badger Jones
www.youngforest.ca
Old May 27th 04, 08:18 PM
spodosaurus

bolt thrower wrote:
: I had a bud in college who had chroinic insomnia. He'd have a friend
: slap a blood choke on him and sleep for a couple of hours.

What is a blood choke?

sleeper hold?

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
Old May 27th 04, 08:38 PM
Dan Winsor

Kirk Lawson wrote:
bolt thrower wrote:

What is a blood choke?

A choke that compresses the arteries feeding oxygenated blood to the
brain. After a brief period, unconsciousness is the typical reaction.
No noted lingering harm even after repeated application, provided it's
not a prolonged oxygen starvation.

And you're wearing appropriate headgear.

--
Dan Winsor

Soy un poco loco en el coco.

sleep and weights Markavelii Weights 28 March 8th 04 02:34 AM
Aerobics & Sleep? Terry Aerobic 1 February 29th 04 12:05 AM
Not enough sleep [email protected] Weights 19 February 19th 04 06:31 PM