Duathlon training help

Old May 13th 04, 04:23 PM
Matt Peeler

Default Duathlon training help

Last year I trained for a half ironman with I complete in September of
last year in about 6hrs. I felt like afterwards I spent so much time
making sure of the endurace part of it, I didnt really do enough speed
training. This year I have even less time to train than last year in
regards to length of training sessions in regards to 3-4 hours cycling
on weekends. So this year I am going to train for a duathlon
10k-40k-5k in August. I may be able to manage a 2hr bike ride when I
go with bike club on Tuesdays by riding before we leave and after.
What I am looking for is the best way in regards to long
runs,intervals,hard runs as well as speed training on the bike, what
is the best arrangement to do this. Right now I can run at night at
the college. A friend gave me a book on duathlon training but it didnt
really give a suggested or proven workout schema that may be more
effective. This is sort of an example of what is happening now.
Monday night 6-8 easy run
Tuesday 1.5 group ride-I am thinking about riding 15min before
and 15after to make it a 2hr ride for me.
Wednesday 3-4 run I usually feel tired on these days
Thursday 15-20 mi ride or should I do intervals here?
Friday Running intervals on track
Saturday Ride or run for hour but not sure
Sunday I was thinking about doing a short brick

My problem is figuring out the best method for getting all of the
elements together between bike and run and what types of each within
the week itself to maximize benefit. Like how to line up the long runs
in comparison to cycling intervals or hard rides and vice versa.

Any suggestions would be helpful or any book suggestions would be
helpful as well.

Thanks

Matt P.
Old May 14th 04, 08:49 PM
greg

Matt:

I emailed you a sample duathlon training week that should work within
your guidelines. I sent it to the address next to your name. If you
don't get it email or post back here.

Thanks
Greg