TR: 4 Assynt Corbetts

Old July 9th 03, 12:30 PM
Rob Milne

Default TR: 4 Assynt Corbetts

While driving up the A9 on Saturday morning, I got a call from the person
I was meet at Shenavall that night. The plan was for me to go in Saturday
and do the 2 Corbetts, and then the two of us to do the 6 Munros on
Sunday. Change of weather forecast! 8-( Front coming in on Sunday, and it
is best to save the Fisherfield for good weather. Friend not coming north.

So head up north of Ullapool, buying the requisite map there.
Parked near Linneraineach and headed up Cul Beag. There isn't a parking
area where the path leaves the road, but the passing place is very wide
and long, so I got off the road as far as I could. Excellent stalker's
path, turned off at the high point and went up the north (left) side of
the small stream coming down to the col. Managed to find faint paths.
There was a walker on the right side of the stream who seemed to be having
a real struggle in the heather. From the col, there is a good path which
zigzags up to the summit. 1hr 10 min from the car 8-), but in the mist 8-(
A real shame I couldn't see anything, since it must be a great view!
Then to explore, I dropped down the east ridge to the first col. Getting
down from there to Lochan Dearg was 'interesting' and not for the
inexperienced. No wonder this route isn't in the SMC book. I took the
right hand gully and managed to wiggle down breaks in the crags. they are
very impressive from up close! The route goes, but is wet and steep in
places. The lower terraces were no problem
I crossed the outflow of Lochan Dearg and made a steep rising traverse to
Lochan Dearg a' Chuil Mhor. Obvious where to go up, but the reverse route
(as mentioned in the SMC book) might not be so obvious. If coming down
this way, stay as far east as possible to avoid the crags. I found
crossing the outflow of LDa'CM more natural and one can pick up a rising
traverse path under the mouth watering crags on the south side of Cul Mor.
Superb traverse around up into a grassy corrie and the col. Then into the
mist on Cul Mor' summit. I wanted a panorama so waited 20 minutes for it
to clear. it didn't, until another 20 minutes after I left 8-(
retraced route to LDa'CM and then went west to avoid the crags, down to
meet the path at Loch Sionascaig. From there easy walking back to the car.
A fab set of hills and not a bad combination from that end, although there
are easier ways to get down off Cul Mor and the crag band below LDa'CM has
to be carefully avoided.
Sunday 8:30 am, left the Bones Caves car park for Breabag and was on top 1
hr 20 min later. I had a fine scramble up the arcing slab in the main
cliff band. Only 50m high, but made my day! I didn't think the OS stud was
at the highest point - something for others to wonder about ....
I found the walking well to the right of the stream easier than near the
stream, but all is easy.
Got to the car at 11 am, just as the rain drops started.
Drove to the Quinag parking and had lunch while it rained lightly. Finally
headed up Glas Bheinn from there. A direct line up steep grassy slopes had
my on the ridge quickly. The steep slopes weren't as bad as I feared,
mostly short heather, so it was a fine and short ascent.
Nice NW ridge to the giant summit cairn. Someone had made an excellent
stone chair and table! 1 hour up and still had reasonable views.
Retraced my steps to the car and arrived at 2 pm, just in time to hear the
start of the Men's final and for the heavens to open up. Ridge now fully
in cloud and heavy rain. Good timing!
Four super hills in 2 pleasant days.
RobM