Assynt Foundation

Old April 18th 05, 12:10 PM
Peter Clinch

Dave P wrote:

They're the facts. Dispute them if you think they are wrong.

It is not a *fact* that what these people are asking is "pathetic".
That is your opinion, and certainly not one I share.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old April 18th 05, 12:20 PM
Dave P

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Dave P wrote:

They're the facts. Dispute them if you think they are wrong.

It is not a *fact* that what these people are asking is "pathetic". That
is your opinion, and certainly not one I share.

Pete.

Aye you're right. That's not a fact it is an oppinion. The facts I refer to
are these.

A group of 450 families being given £2.1 million pounds towards the
£3million needed to
buy their homes need to raise £2000 each and they're asking for help.

Dave

Old April 18th 05, 12:34 PM
Colin MacDonald

Dave P wrote:
You haven't actually read the site, have you?

Colin

Don't be a fool! Of course I've read the site.

So you'll be able to quote the section where the site says:

- the people involved need bailed out;
- the people involved say that life is unfair;
- the people involved say there's not enough work;
- the people involved say that the world owes them a living.

A group of 450 families being given £2.1 million pounds towards
buying their homes need to raise £2000 each and they're asking for help.

Well, it's slightly more than 'their homes', being 44,000 acres.

I'll admit to a degree of prejudice here; my family background gives me
plenty reason to wish misfortune on the current landowners, so I am in
favour of the buyout.

To a (very) limited degree, though, I actually share your views. The
aim of the land purchase is to stimulate economic growth in the area,
which is laudable enough, but I'd have thought a more appropriate route
to raise funds would be to invite investment into a co-operative rather
than to just ask for donations. I guess there's a degree of desperation
involved, since the deadline is the end of May.

Even so, you seem to be painting a picture of a group of moaners that
can't be bothered to put their hands in their pockets and stump up the
extra cash. You don't have any idea, though, how much of their own
money has already been put into the buyout. I doubt it's a case of
finding £2000, but rather of finding _another_ £2000 on top of what they
have already committed.

In essence, the people involved are trying to raise the capital, which
will include their own funds, to invest in the property that will enable
them to stimulate local growth, a venture that won't yield significant
reward in the short term and one that will require a great deal of work
to bring to fruition. In order to achieve this within the timescale
they are looking to increase funds by whatever means they can. You may
disagree with their aims, but to describe this as pathetic is both
short-sighted and absurd.

Colin
Old April 18th 05, 12:48 PM
Peter Clinch

Dave P wrote:

Aye you're right. That's not a fact it is an oppinion. The facts I refe=

r to=20
are these.
=20
A group of 450 families being given =A32.1 million pounds towards the=20
=A33million needed to
buy their homes need to raise =A32000 each and they're asking for help.=

But since it's money they're very unlikely to have, and without it they=20
don't get to see the 2.1 million, and in any case they don't get to lay=20
their hands on actual cash, what the above statement fails to reveal at=20
all is anything pathetic.

As I pointed out, the point is a degree of independence and freedom, not =

lining their pockets. See http://www.assyntcrofters.co.uk/ and=20
http://www.knoydart-foundation.com/ for parallel cases in parallel=20
places. You also should probably look into community partnerships=20
worked with the John Muir Trust in various places. JMT are one of the=20
most respected bodies in the UK for management and conservation of wild=20
land, and AFAICT they view active participation with local communities=20
to be a vital aspect of their work (http://www.jmt.org/partners.html).

Please note the emphasis placed on management and conservation, which=20
/is/ of benefit to the visitor, aside from the more fundamental point of =

greater social justice in who owns large tracts of Scotland.

Pete.
--=20

Old April 18th 05, 02:50 PM
Dave P

"Colin MacDonald" wrote in message
. uk...
Dave P wrote:
You haven't actually read the site, have you?

Colin

Don't be a fool! Of course I've read the site.

So you'll be able to quote the section where the site says:

- the people involved need bailed out;
- the people involved say that life is unfair;
- the people involved say there's not enough work;
- the people involved say that the world owes them a living.

A group of 450 families being given £2.1 million pounds towards buying
[...]

Thanks Colin for that. Its a well reasoned peice of writing and I take your
points on board.

Dave

Old April 18th 05, 06:40 PM
theo

"Faolan" schreef in bericht
For the people that may be interested:

http://www.assyntfoundation.co.uk/

Was forwarded to me today, do you want to aid preservation of part of
the Scottish highlands?

Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be useful to flag it up.

I wish I had the money to buy it but I (still) don't. Would be another
"dutch landowner" bot not a GOML :-)

--
Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

Old April 18th 05, 07:39 PM
David Nesbitt

In article ,
druidh wrote:
Faolan wrote:
For the people that may be interested:
http://www.assyntfoundation.co.uk/
Was forwarded to me today, do you want to aid preservation of part
of the Scottish highlands?
Nothing to do with me, just thought it would be useful to flag it
up.

Careful with that use of the word "preservation". Too many of these
community land deals are aimed at providing land for wind-farms in
return for a quick buck. While I'm not denying the rights of the
residents to make what they can of their lot, I certainly begrudge
subsiding their rapaciousness from the public purse.

Funny that you should mention it. The Scotsman includes the following in
an article last September:-

"In the back room of his butcher’s shop, Alastair MacAskill paints a
bright picture of Lochinver’s future. As a local, he has little of the
sentimentality visitors attach to the area’s scenic beauty; he would
like to build 500 homes on the land, introduce a form of renewable
energy such as wind farms and see the shooting estate expanded into a
centre for businessmen to learn corporate team-building."

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...&id=1072452004

According to the article, Alastair MacAskill is the driving force behind
the formation of the Assynt Foundation which doesn't appear to represent
the views of all of the inhabitants of Lochinver.

Another article in The Scotsman last March indicates that the Assynt
Foundation is now in competition with the Coigach community which also
wants to buy part of the land.

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...4&id=225942005

--
David Nesbitt

N.B. Email sent to "nospam" will be rejected. Please use Reply-To address.
Old April 18th 05, 11:01 PM
Richard Webb

Talk about Dutch landowners... The man himself (Letterewe) is accused
in the current edition of New Scientist of being involved in
clearances in Africa.

Richard Webb