best running shoes?

Old August 20th 05, 02:48 PM
Robert Megee

Default best running shoes?

There probably is more than one brand that are considered among the
best running shoes and I don't really want to start a war. I'm happy
with my Brooks but figure that they are a 4 or 5 month shoe so would
like to know what brand and model to consider for an upgrade.
What information is required to get the "right" shoe? Such as my
gait.

thanks,

Robert
Old August 20th 05, 03:04 PM

What information is required to get the "right" shoe?

you tell the salesperson at the runner's shop, "I don't want the Left
shoe, I want the opposite of the Left shoe". I'm confident this will
then get your the "right" shoe. Try it & good luck!

Old August 20th 05, 04:32 PM
The Bill Rodgers

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 07:48:40 -0500, Robert Megee
wrote:

There probably is more than one brand that are considered among the
best running shoes and I don't really want to start a war. I'm happy
with my Brooks but figure that they are a 4 or 5 month shoe so would
like to know what brand and model to consider for an upgrade.
What information is required to get the "right" shoe? Such as my
gait.

If you are looking for a long-life shoe, go with asics. They used to
give me well over 1,000 miles, although later models tend to last less
time.

TBR

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
"Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."
Old August 20th 05, 04:40 PM
Charlie Pendejo

Robert Megee wrote:
There probably is more than one brand that are considered among the
best running shoes and I don't really want to start a war. I'm happy
with my Brooks but figure that they are a 4 or 5 month shoe so would
like to know what brand and model to consider for an upgrade.

For whatever silly reason, wreck.jogging fetishizes shoes brands; but
what really matters is the specific *model* of shoe. If you're happy
with your Brooks Beast, then the Brooks T4 would probably be a
contender for worst possible shoe for you. Brooks Adrenaline, Racer
ST, Glycerin, Radius, Addiction - all different shoes, with different
weights, for different runners.

It's more productive to compare shoes of a similar *type* rather than
brand - e.g. if you need a heavy-duty motion control shoe, consider
Brooks Beast and Asics whatever (Foundation? Kayano?) and whatever New
Balance models etc. For a substantial (8-9 oz) racing flat consider
Brooks Racer ST or Asics Gel-Magic or Tiger Paw or New Balance 900.
Within a category, these shoes from competing brands have a lot more in
common with each other than two random shoes from one brand.

As for upgrade: define "upgrade". If the shoes you're in are working
for you - feel good, allow you to run the mileage you want without
injury - then I'm not sure what an upgrade's supposed to be, nor indeed
why you'd want to change anything.

You can buy too little shoe by not spending enough, but once you've
found the right shoe you're not going to get something even better by
throwing money at it... if say Asics 1100 were a great shoe for you,
the pricier "top of the line" Kayano would likely be a poorer choice.

Me, I like to have a number of shoes in rotation at any one time, of
somewhat different types for different purposes. e.g. regular trainers
(Nike Air Span Triax) for long runs on pavement; beefy flats (Brooks
Racer ST, Asics Gel Magic) for some faster running and/or shorter
running on pavement or longer on dirt; very light flats (couple diff
Nikes) for racing and also for short slow recovery runs; etc. Some
runners think mixing up the shoes like this is good for strengthening
feet and legs and maybe even avoiding repetitive stress injury. Others
have better luck finding a shoe which works for them and sticking with
it.

Old August 20th 05, 04:44 PM
Robert Megee

If you are looking for a long-life shoe, go with asics. They used to
give me well over 1,000 miles, although later models tend to last less
time.

Thank Bill, I'll check them out.

Robert
Old August 20th 05, 05:23 PM
The Bill Rodgers

On 20 Aug 2005 07:40:43 -0700, "Charlie Pendejo"
wrote:

if you need a heavy-duty motion control shoe, consider
Brooks Beast and Asics whatever (Foundation? Kayano?) and whatever New
Balance models etc.

Asics is the best MC shoe on the market today. Get the 2000 series.

Old August 20th 05, 05:56 PM
Robert Megee

wrote:

Robert Megee wrote:
[...]

I was afraid it was a complex issue. Sounds like the best thing I can
do is find a salesperson that I can work with. I worry a bit about
that but all these variables are new to me. When I tried the Brooks
"Universal Platform" shoes I noticed that they seemed much better than
the other brands I tried. So along with the help of a salesperson,
I'll probably look for shoes that feel good too.

Robert
Old August 20th 05, 06:03 PM
Robert Megee

wrote:

if you need a heavy-duty motion control shoe, consider
Brooks Beast and Asics whatever (Foundation? Kayano?) and whatever New
Balance models etc.

Asics is the best MC shoe on the market today. Get the 2000 series.

Thanks again Bill for the info.

TBR

"Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

My undergraduate school was a small college in Arkansas. Not much
money for research so we concentrated on theory. When I went to
graduate school I was in classes with MIT grads. Needless to say I
was the only one that made it through my quals the first time.
The guys from mit had jumped into their area of specialiaty as
undergrads and therefore had a narrow background.

Robert

Old August 20th 05, 06:16 PM
The Bill Rodgers

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:56:12 -0500, Robert Megee
wrote:

I was afraid it was a complex issue. Sounds like the best thing I can
do is find a salesperson that I can work with. I worry a bit about
that but all these variables are new to me. When I tried the Brooks
"Universal Platform" shoes I noticed that they seemed much better than
the other brands I tried. So along with the help of a salesperson,
I'll probably look for shoes that feel good too.

If they point you tords nikes, point yourself out the door. Nike makes
one or two good shoes, but all are at least a third over the price of
comparable shoes in more reputable brands. Nikes are designer shoes.
not running shoes.