Stepmill hurts Knee...

Old July 7th 03, 06:13 AM
daisho

Default Stepmill hurts Knee...

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Use the Stairmaster Stepmill 45 minutes each morning... left knee is

getting
painful... any ideas for enjoying the workout without the pain?

Hi Dwayne,

Far from being an expert, but I have got an opinion to which only you can be
the judge. I'm a fairly experienced cyclist. I've been riding fairly long
distances for over 5 years, and been riding on and off for over 30, so when
it comes to bikes I kinda know what I'm talking about. When I'm at the Gym
I see some guy's going hell for lather on an exercise bike. They PUSH
themselves beyond what is reaslistic levels of exercise, and when they do
that (if they ARE going beyond their limits) they are going to eventually
injure themselves.

I'm wondering if what you're doing is 'pushing yourself too hard' and thus
injuring yourself. I'm not familiar with the stepper you're talking about,
but perhaps drop back a level of difficulty OR change the length of the
stride. Change is as good as a holiday - that sort of thing. Do half the
exercise with long strides (deep steps) and the other half small, or 1/4
long, 1/4 short, 1/4 long, 1/4 short - that sort of thing.

Hope this helps

Ian

Old July 7th 03, 05:05 PM
Denise Howard

In article , daisho
wrote:

I'm not familiar with the stepper you're talking about,
but perhaps drop back a level of difficulty OR change the length of the
stride. Change is as good as a holiday - that sort of thing. Do half the
exercise with long strides (deep steps) and the other half small, or 1/4
long, 1/4 short, 1/4 long, 1/4 short - that sort of thing.

A "step mill" is made like an escalator, so all steps are exactly the
same height. That's part of what makes it so much more challenging
than a pedal-type stairclimber. So it's not possible to vary one's
stride on a step mill.

--
Denise denise dot howard at attbi dot com
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor