Rules for open water swimming...

Old August 20th 03, 11:21 AM
Martin W. Smith

Default Rules for open water swimming...

Federico Engler wrote:
I visited the FINA web pages to get information about the rules, but I don't
really find the information I am looking for. It says that freestyle is to
be used,
but what I am wondering about is if you are allowed to switch stroke in the
middle of the race.

You can swim any stroke you want and switch whenever you want.

martin

--
Martin Smith email:
Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
Old August 20th 03, 08:12 PM
Jason O'Rourke

Federico Engler wrote:
I visited the FINA web pages to get information about the rules, but I don't
really find the information I am looking for. It says that freestyle is to
be used,
but what I am wondering about is if you are allowed to switch stroke in the
middle of the race. Crawl wears me out after a while during my training
sessions so I tend to switch to backstroke for a short period of time which
allows me to "rest" before I switch back. Is something like this allowed
during
an open water competion as well?

Generally it's anything goes, and that makes sense. It's a safety issue
to restrict swimmers from using a resting stroke. Breaststroke is useful
because it also lets you stay on heading.

That said, you shouldn't seed yourself in towards the front at the start
if you plan to change off. It's a bit inconsiderate, and they may just
swim right over you as well.

If it's somewhere scenic, don't forget to take in the view.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com