Interview With Wake Forrest Strength Coach Ethan Reeves

Old July 9th 03, 11:14 PM
Steve Freides

Default Interview With Wake Forrest Strength Coach Ethan Reeves

http://tinyurl.com/gh2l

If this doesn't bring you directly to the interview with Coach Reeves,
just click on his name - it's right near the top. It was my privilege
to be a student alongside Coach Reeves and also Coach Mike Burgener (in
one of the pictures in the article) at the April, 2003 Russian
Kettlebell Challenge Instructor Certification.

An excerpt is below:

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

D.D.: You had talked about how KBs had enhanced the performance of the
people you train. Is that true?

E.R.: Yeah. We've been very fortunate. In football, in the last two years that
we've used the kettlebells, we've had two winning seasons in a row, and that's
not been done since the 1985-86 seasons here at Wake Forest. Our men's
basketball team, which religiously uses kettlebells, won the ACC regular season,
which had not been done since 1962. Our soccer team was ranked number one
in the country all year long. Our Field Hockey team won the N.C.A.A.
championships this season. Our women's basketball teams, track team, both
our men and women's tennis teams, women's cross country which won the
ACC and placed 9th in the N.C.A.A.-just about every team that we have, all of
our athletes uses the kettlebells.

D.D.: So nothing has changed except the addition of kettlebells to the training?

E.R.: Well, no, some sport coaches have changed, and the strength coaches
have changed. We added the kettlebells into our strength training philosophy
instead of using dumbbells for those lifts. All of these elements in conjunction
have made the difference. There's not any one thing that's made that
difference, but we feel that the kettlebells have had a lot to do with our success.

I'm just very impressed with kettlebells. I like them. It gives the kids great
variety, and our strength coaches great variety in designing programs for their
athletes. Kettlebells really help our athletes develop their athleticism, and we're
going to continue doing them. In fact, we're going to purchase some more this
coming year. We're going to buy eight pairs of the 26-pounders.