Push up / Sit up Question

Old July 15th 08, 05:27 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Steve Freides

Default Push up / Sit up Question

" wrote in message
Are these best done daily or two/three times a week, like weights?

There is no one best schedule for bodyweight exercises or weights.
There are many possibilities, some of which will work better for some
goals than others. State a goal as a starting point and perhaps we can
comment further.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old July 16th 08, 02:18 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc
Steve Freides

" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:27 am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
" wrote in message

Are these best done daily or two/three times a week, like weights?

There is no one best schedule for bodyweight exercises or weights.
There are many possibilities, some of which will work better for some
goals than others. State a goal as a starting point and perhaps we can
comment further.

-S-http://www.kbnj.com

Coming off a shoulder injury, have weakness, looking to build it up
again so I can serve a tennis ball decently. Not looking to show off
guns or shoulders. Just want to add strength and flexibility.

*----------------------

For strength and for rehab, frequent training is a valid approach, e.g.,
when I suffered a severe back injury, the therapy including performing
certain exercises once per hour, all day long. You can also read about
"grease the groove" training wherein your goal is to perform a
particular movement for as many times as you can throughout a day,
always keeping the effort moderate, typically for a bodyweight exercise
in the range of 50% of the maximum number of reps you could do.

The harder you push, the more recovery you will need. Those looking to
add muscle often train a particular movement or group of muscles between
once and three times per week, pushing hard, and counting on the
combination of a hard effort plus recovery time (and sufficient
nutrition and sleep) to increase their muscle size.

An excellent book on bodyweight exercise technique is "Naked Warrior" by
Pavel Tsatsouline. He focused on only two exercise, the one-legged
squat and the one-armed pushup, for increasing strength, and discusses
frequent training in great detail. While you may not be interested in
learning to do a one-armed pushup, good technique for pushups is
basically the same whether one arm or two, so I highly recommend this
book. He particularly focuses on techniques to "pack" the shoulder for
maximum safety as well as maximum performance. A link to the book is
he http://www.kbnj.com/nw.htm - using the techniques in this book, I
learned to do both these exercises while past the age of 50.

Hope that's of some help to you - in your place, I'd start doing pushups
a few times per week but work up to 5-6 days per week at least.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old August 3rd 09, 07:00 AM
michaelclark michaelclark is offline
Junior Member

Hi Steve Freides...

As push ups and sit ups are free hand exercises, you can go for six days a week. Its depends upon workout schedule.
__________________
nintendo ds r4
Old February 8th 10, 04:46 PM
Vega Vega is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelclark View Post
Hi Steve Freides...

As push ups and sit ups are free hand exercises, you can go for six days a week. Its depends upon workout schedule.
The amount of push ups and sit ups you should or can do and how often is determinant on how quickly your body can recover and repair itself. The amount of push ups and sit ups and how often can also be increased slowly based on your overall fitness and health. The important thing is to not push your body too hard in the beginning. In any exercise regime, you need to start off slowly and as you feel healthier, you can keep increasing the amount and time you exercise. A marathon runner doesn't start off running 26-miles a day, they warm up and slowly make there way to being able to run 26-miles in one run.
Old July 7th 10, 11:15 PM
BellaVega BellaVega is offline
Junior Member

You can combine your sit ups and push ups into your workout routines. If you do that, then you want to only do them when you work your upper body and take the days off when you work your lower body or other body parts. But I have done sit ups and push ups on a daily basis. I just didn't do them until I was hurting.
__________________
Bella Vega, Super Silver Health Advisor
Old July 21st 11, 05:37 PM
joshua wilson joshua wilson is offline
Junior Member

Location: New York City

Doing sit up and push up are always good.. lifting your own body weight have no harms.. i prefer doing it because i can do it anywhere any time.. and i don't need equipment to do it so even if i m out of town i can do it in hotel and in park....
Old July 23rd 11, 02:41 AM
John Kent John Kent is offline
Banned

Location: Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVega View Post
You can combine your sit ups and push ups into your workout routines. If you do that, then you want to only do them when you work your upper body and take the days off when you work your lower body or other body parts. But I have done sit ups and push ups on a daily basis. I just didn't do them until I was hurting.
I use a similar method. I do a moderate amount of pushups as a warmup of sorts before I begin and then use situps as my cooling down period. Basically, I will do some reps of pushups just to get me going. Then move into whatever workout I am doing that day. Then do a moderate amount of situps to finish it off. It seems to work fairly well. I just make sure that these aren't something that I wear myself out with. Moderation is key I guess.
Old November 19th 11, 11:58 PM
WousiaMaill WousiaMaill is offline
Banned

Location: USA

Especially in psychological impotence, there is a strong response to treatment with placebo
Old November 19th 11, 11:59 PM
WousiaMaill WousiaMaill is offline
Banned

Location: USA

Severe hepatic impairment (decreased liver function)

push up ultra Weights 7 November 22nd 07 07:56 AM
A question about military push-ups Good people of YCDTOTV Aerobic 11 January 28th 05 07:44 PM
A question about military push-ups Good people of YCDTOTV General 11 January 28th 05 07:44 PM
Help! I can't do push-ups or sit-ups!!! Bruno Beam Weights 5 December 12th 04 06:31 PM
Hindu push-ups and Dive bomber push-ups Simon General 4 January 20th 04 03:03 PM