INVERSION TABLES COMPARISONS / EVALUATIONS?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 14th 04, 03:44 AM
David Cohen

"David" wrote
"John M. Williams" wrote
"David" wrote:
wrote:
Greetings

I realize this is a weights group and hope this post may not be too
inappropriate. (I have seen posted on this group numerous references
to inversion tables.) This is not technically a cross-post, as I've
waited over the weekend for responses from the
alt.support.chronic-pain
group I originally posted to.

I'd like to buy an inversion table but am having difficulty finding
enough reviews to be able to make any sort
of informed decision about which one to get.

I did find a handful of reviews at epinions.com, and they were
helpful,
but 5
opinions on two different tables is hardly enough for me. Has anyone
seen any
other site online that has more user reviews?

There are two basic systems of inversion that you can do at home on a

piece
of equipment.
Ones where you clamp by your ankles - these are basically crap and are

not
effective.

No, David. We have been through this before. You just don't like
standard inversion tables. I challenged you to come up with something
in the literature which supported your claim, and you couldn't. All
you could say is that you talked to a PT who liked 90/90 inversion
better, and you thought it was better for feeble elderly people.

A couple of studies have shown 90/90 inversion to be effective. Many
more studies support the effectiveness and safe use of standard
inversion tables amongst normotensive people with spinal issues. So
your claim that they are "basically crap and are not effective" is, at
best, uninformed.

It seems that your personal prejudices in medical matters are really
shining through these days.

For effective traction there has to be enough downward force - the
standard
inversion table only allows inversion at a 45 deg angle - that is stated
in
the users manuals for these machines - the reason you are limited to 45
degrees is because of the how the clamp works around your ankles. If the
angle is greater then constriction of circulation occurs and the whole
process becomes dangerous and counter productive. The sort of machine that
we like here is called Bioflex
http://www.onlyfitness.com.au/fixmyback.htm

Actually the old and feeble would find this difficult - (I don;t know
where
you got that from that I made a reference to 'old and feeble')

The benefit of the Bioflex is that you hang by your upper legs - you can
get max traction and it basically only hits your spine - plus you can
exercise in a safe way with legs bent - for doing ab crunches and back
extensions which the other machines don;t allow.

Inverted crunches are completely safe. You are confusion the anatomy of
supine sit-ups with straight legs with free-hanging inversion.

Without exercise you are
generally wasting your time doing inversion therapy.

Everyone with lumbar-sacral or sacro-iliac compressions would disagree with
you.