Upright row mechanics

Old February 23rd 08, 12:19 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

Default Upright row mechanics

Right,

Upright rows, yeah? I've noticed that an upright row, if you do it with
the maximum possible range of motion (which you shouldn't), seems to fall
into two phases. The first phase is from the bottom to maybe two thirds of
the way up, and involves your shoulders staying fixed in space, but
flexing, along with your elbows. The second phase is from there to the
top, and involves your shoulders and elbows flexing less, but your
shoulders actually moving up, a bit like you were doing a shrug. The
combination kind of reminds me of rowing, where you firstly drive with
your legs, and only then put your back into it, if you see what i mean.

Does anyone else find that? Is that a known fact or anything?

Am i right in thinking this means that the lower phase involves delts but
not traps, and the latter phase involves mostly traps?

It's well known that if you do upright rows with a full ROM, you get
subacromial impingement, and your arms fall off or something. The usual
advice is to lift no higher than the nipples. Does that correspond to the
lower phase i've identified?

Incidentally, ExRx has a different idea about how to avoid subacromial
apocalypse:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/S...ml#anchor64967

tom

--
I think it would be a good idea -- Mohandas Gandhi, on Western
civilisation
Old February 23rd 08, 02:09 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"Tom Anderson"
It's well known that if you do upright rows with a full ROM, you get
subacromial impingement, and your arms fall off or something. The usual
advice is to lift no higher than the nipples. Does that correspond to the
lower phase i've identified?

Tom, I sit up and pull back to my nipples. Med weight and very hi rep's like
40, 30,15 & what ever the last set.

I was doing them wrong for years, bending over and I just learned the right
way a month ago.
Now I try to do each one perfect.

Burr

Old February 24th 08, 09:47 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Andrzej Rosa

Dnia 2008-02-22 Tom Anderson napisał(a):
Right,

Upright rows, yeah? I've noticed that an upright row, if you do it with
the maximum possible range of motion (which you shouldn't),

Done explosively, powerclean like style, they should be safe. Tank
Abbott boasted somewhere that he did above 300 lbs this way, and I seem
to recall a video of him doing it. It didn't look biomechanically bad.

seems to fall
into two phases. The first phase is from the bottom to maybe two thirds of
the way up, and involves your shoulders staying fixed in space, but
flexing, along with your elbows. The second phase is from there to the
top, and involves your shoulders and elbows flexing less, but your
shoulders actually moving up, a bit like you were doing a shrug. The
combination kind of reminds me of rowing, where you firstly drive with
your legs, and only then put your back into it, if you see what i mean.

I think I do.

Does anyone else find that? Is that a known fact or anything?

Am i right in thinking this means that the lower phase involves delts but
not traps, and the latter phase involves mostly traps?

Seems possible, but it would depend how you do them. It's possible to
initiate this move with a shrug, so then traps would work from the
beginning.

It's well known that if you do upright rows with a full ROM, you get
subacromial impingement, and your arms fall off or something. The usual
advice is to lift no higher than the nipples. Does that correspond to the
lower phase i've identified?

Incidentally, ExRx has a different idea about how to avoid subacromial
apocalypse:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/S...ml#anchor64967

Actually it's the same idea. If you use wider grip you will not be able
to do full range of motion with any weight. Old timer bodybuilders were
often from weightlifting background and they probably did this move more
like high pull than anything else. Now, high pulls are one great
move... Way better than upright rows, IMHO.

Anyway, why don't you do Clean&Press instead of uprights and presses
separately? They work fine with dumbbells too, if you prefer isolating
your "stabilizers". ;-)

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old February 25th 08, 02:28 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Burr wrote:

"Tom Anderson"
It's well known that if you do upright rows with a full ROM, you get
subacromial impingement, and your arms fall off or something. The usual
advice is to lift no higher than the nipples. Does that correspond to the
lower phase i've identified?

Tom, I sit up and pull back to my nipples.

You do them seated? I'm struggling to imagine how that works; do you start
with your dumbbells in your hands to each side of your thighs? Or are you
resting a barbell on your legs and lifting from there?

I was doing them wrong for years, bending over and I just learned the
right way a month ago. Now I try to do each one perfect.

Commendable! They're one of those exercises that you can do a little bit
wrong in so many ways.

tom

--
Where yesterday's future is here today
Old February 25th 08, 02:31 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

Dnia 2008-02-22 Tom Anderson napisa?(a):

Incidentally, ExRx has a different idea about how to avoid subacromial
apocalypse:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/S...ml#anchor64967

Actually it's the same idea. If you use wider grip you will not be able
to do full range of motion with any weight.

Ah, clever.

Old timer bodybuilders were often from weightlifting background and they
probably did this move more like high pull than anything else. Now,
high pulls are one great move... Way better than upright rows, IMHO.

It does look like a good exercise. But Olympic lifts mostly do.

Anyway, why don't you do Clean&Press instead of uprights and presses
separately? They work fine with dumbbells too, if you prefer isolating
your "stabilizers". ;-)

Olympic lifts are too scary!

Also, on my gym, not enough space to do them safely and politely. And we
only have fixed barbells, and none bigger than 50 kg. Lame, i know.

tom

--
Where yesterday's future is here today
Old February 25th 08, 02:58 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Burr wrote:

Tom, I'm wrong, I got confused with seated cable rows!!!

"Tom Anderson"

Old February 25th 08, 04:22 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Andrzej Rosa

Dnia 2008-02-25 Tom Anderson napisał(a):
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Andrzej Rosa wrote:

Old timer bodybuilders were often from weightlifting background and they
probably did this move more like high pull than anything else. Now,
high pulls are one great move... Way better than upright rows, IMHO.

It does look like a good exercise. But Olympic lifts mostly do.

Anyway, why don't you do Clean&Press instead of uprights and presses
separately? They work fine with dumbbells too, if you prefer isolating
your "stabilizers". ;-)

Olympic lifts are too scary!

There is nothing especially scary about starting a move from the hang
instead of from rack position. You do the same thing as you already do,
just in an "all at once" kind of way.

Add a leg drive to the press, and you are doing push-press. Good stuff
too. I mean that if you look at a proper Oly lift, it does look scary,
but adding a bit at a time doesn't look all that complicated. We may
use a progression of difficulty also in this case.

Also, on my gym, not enough space to do them safely and politely. And we
only have fixed barbells, and none bigger than 50 kg. Lame, i know.

Works with dumbbells. You start with a power curl instead of barbell
clean, obviously, but it still works fine. If you can press something,
you should be able to rack it too. It can be done in really limited
space, but I'm not saying that it always makes much sense.

Anyway, in case you'd want to give it a shot, try one-armed version.
Good part is, that 50 kg is often enough even for strongmen. ;-)

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
Old February 25th 08, 04:56 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Burr wrote:

Tom, I'm wrong, I got confused with seated cable rows!!!

Ah! Now everything makes sense.

tom

--
Where yesterday's future is here today

Even More Mechanics Daniel Running 6 March 1st 05 12:16 AM
More Mechanics pmb Running 8 February 25th 05 10:10 PM
The Mechanics of Bonking Ib Running 77 November 28th 04 02:14 PM
Mechanics of Twittering Twittering One Running 1 November 14th 04 03:57 AM
Woodway treadmills and stride mechanics Phil Earnhardt Aerobic 0 December 31st 03 04:05 PM