Bad Back Blues

Old December 20th 07, 06:13 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,alt.sport.weightlifting,sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain,alt.yoga
Omelet

Default Bad Back Blues

In article
,
Prisoner at War wrote:

It was David's -- not the right-wing rabbi, the other one -- and I
will look into it...as a last resort. After all, if I wanted to make
things easy on myself, I'd just substitute machines for free weights!

And why take silly risks for machismo if you already know you have a
bloody herniated disk? Pardon, but that's just foolish imho.

But, it's your body...

So does using leg machines instead of free weights.
I know it's not as "manly", but still...

Sigh, I was hoping to "devolve" to machines when I'm 50 or something,
not now, at 36...they're fun for variety's sake, but I'd hate to make
them a staple of my diet....

It's possible a sucky diet and taking foolish risks put you into this
situation in the first place.

Machines, at least temporarily, might help you heal rather than hurt
yourself more, and you can switch back to free weights later.

Don't be an idiot. A herniated disk is nothing to screw with.

But you already knew that. ;-)

Balanced trace minerals are better. I've read that copper
supplementation by itself screws up your Zinc absorption (or something
to that effect) and it's easy to get a toxic dose if you take it by
itself.

Ay yai yai! Well, I'll certainly bone up on that Vitamin Bible before
taking any (other than my drug store store-brand multi)...I've also
read that calcium interferes with zinc, and that caffeine interferes
with protein absorption...ridiculous how all these things are often
taken or packed together....

Gods... If you'd been taking drug store generic supplements, you deserve
what you get.

Sorry.

Do the research dude. It's all there at your fingertips. Libraries,
bookstores and the internet.

Just be sure to cross-reference on EVERYthing!
And watch the sources.

I've been doing nutritional research now for 15 years. I know what to do
for my own issues, but sometimes it takes self-discipline, and often
takes a bit of $$$ too.

Good supplements are not cheap.

More is the reason to research the hell out of it before adding it to
your regimen. ;-)

The weird thing about mineral supplementation is that everything I've
read suggests that single minerals are a bad idea. Combos work better
together. It's like taking a balanced Calcium/Magnesium/Phosphorous
supplement.

Yep, these things take a *chemical context* in order to work, or work
most effectively...that's why you can't just take leucine by itself,
you need it in the red-leaf lettuce (or wherever it's found
naturally), within the context of that food's natural chemical
context...these vitamins and minerals either need or work best with
the naturally-occurring *phytochemicals* that they're found with in
nature...hence, I'm really skeptical of protein powders -- even
creatine powders....

Everything works better with good food too.
NEVER discount a good diet.

And a good diet can taste good. Just don't be lazy.
Learn to cook.

It's why it seriously ****es me off every time I see ignorant physicians
prescribe pure calcium pills for women with Osteoporosis. :-(

Whoa, wait a minute, this ain't something covered in first-year
biochemistry classes for physicians???

You freaking wish that were true. ;-)
Docs that know me admit that they know squat about nutrition unless they
take the extra time to learn it themselves.

You want nutritional advice?

Talk to a veterinarian...

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.
Animals are treated better than humans on that scale.
It's because animals don't have the bank accounts. g

Any veterinarian knows 10 times more about nutrition than any human MD I
know, except for the ones that cared enough to learn more about it!

The medical world is run by the drug companies.

Money talks, bull**** walks...

A good sports Doc on the other hand...
I think they are the exception to that rule.

This is why I don't bother going to the doctor...every time I do, I
get a shrug and a "do some stretches, eat fruits & vegetables, and
stop running/lifting/biking and you'll be all right"...how the heck
anyone knows what to do...I hate this rocket science stuff....

Oh please... Learn to use Google!

And the right books. It's why I recommended Mindel.
He is just a start.

And your point? g
I'll be taking vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of my life
and loving it. It's like eating a good diet, and taking my thyroid
medication. It does not bother me...

Well...I suppose one can get used to anything, all right -- but it
doesn't seem like the first idea to pop up in one's mind when
imagining a strong, healthy life.

You'll learn. g
Taking pills is actually easier and a LOT less work than trying to get
everything you need out of your food.

Damn, old age really sucks.

shrugs I'm 45.

Deal with it. ;-)

Seems to be that way.
It's either follow the therapy or end up all crippled up in a rocking
chair on your front porch in terrible pain or on powerful pain killers.

Oh well...I guess I'll just think of it as an "alternative lifestyle,"
then, popping pills and doing yoga in the morning....

How is this different from going to the gym on a regular basis for the
rest of your life? :-)

Doesn't feel like a "man's life"...the thing is, I'm only 36, I didn't
figure on being so careful until, maybe, 50?

Sciatica sucks.
I'm glad mine does not act up as long as I keep up the mineral regimen,
and the proper stretching routine.

Thanks for sharing some tips -- I'm going to seriously investigate
this, 'cause this sucks so bad, I have trouble putting on socks every
day! Not only that, I have trouble taking them off at the end of the
day! Back is just stiff always now -- but very weak, for all its
stiffness!

Good health is very Wholistic, and Yogurt happens to be a "superfood".

Ach, they say that about everything these days. You have to wonder
why people can't just live on yogurt and water, then (or tofu and
water, or broccoli and water, or salmon and water...etc.).

Lighten up dude. ;-)
You'll enjoy life more.

What, you're telling that to me, who thinks spiggers are funny!

Huh?
I'm saying to read between the lines and stop taking life so bloody
seriously! You will never get out of it alive.

Neither will I. g

Humor is good medicine! It increases Endorphin levels.
So does weight lifting. It's why it gets you high when you lift heavy.

And for the record, I have nothing against yoga. In my 30's, I had the
torso strength to do a head stand. Due to circumstances that caused me
to be a slacker for a few years, I've lost the ability to do that.

A headstand depends on torso strength????

Uh, yah.

Think about it.

I did that back in middle school as a part of tae kwon do
exercises...don't remember strength ever being an issue -- ah, youth!
-- but balance was the key....

Lets see a couch potato with good balance to one. ;-)

It kinda sux and I'm trying to get it back.

Yoga is very cool...

Yes, this is definitely a New Year's Resolution for me!

NO!

Lifetime commitment.
"New Yearz Rezolutions" are for pussies.

But on a more serious side, Yogurt is indeed an excellent source of
natural balanced calcium, and so is cottage cheese. Yogurt is also good
sources of colon flora (if you get yogurt with live cultures) and
Lactalbumin. One of the more usable proteins.

I like yogurt, but a 6 or 8 oz. serving only has like, what, 9 grams
of protein -- for like 40 grams of carbs????

Uh, try the sugar free...
Plain works for me.

Read more labels dude!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old December 20th 07, 06:14 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Omelet

In article
,
Curt wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:56 am, Omelet wrote:
[...]

I think then that Curt's suggestion (I think it was him?) of using a
lifting belt makes even more sense in that case.

No. I was the one who suggested he pull his head out of his ass. That
might alleviate pressure on his "herniated disc in L-5 or something."
See? The fool doesn't even know what his ailment is.

I recommend he see a chiro and also set up a leg program that doesn't
stress his lower back.

He, of course, knows it all, so let 'im flounder with his pain.

--
Curt

Tough love eh? g

Good advice really...
He's trying to live in a dream world.

Old December 20th 07, 06:54 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights, alt.sport.weightlifting, sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain, alt.yoga
Prisoner at War

On Dec 20, 12:13 pm, Omelet wrote:

And why take silly risks for machismo if you already know you have a
bloody herniated disk? Pardon, but that's just foolish imho.

But, it's your body...

But that's the thing: I don't know what's "silly"...maybe I'm just
pushing myself too hard, or have vitamin deficiencies, whatever --
there's nothing inherently dangerous about a properly-performed squat
or deadlift, right? Even with a herniated disc, right -- as long as
you don't flex your spine, use your lower back in any way...etc.

I just ***REALLY*** can't stomach the thought of not being able to do
what I want to do...this is ridiculous, I'm only 36 and I can't squat,
jog, or put on my socks?!?!?!

It's possible a sucky diet and taking foolish risks put you into this
situation in the first place.

I suppose. I just don't know anymore. Apparently, I never did! I
just don't know. All I know is that I work out because I have a
natural restlessness which is greatly relieved by a hard workout, and
I am loathe to give that up (and I'm ***IN LOVE WITH*** squats and
deadlifts b/c of how they get me going!! Like something outta da Kama
Sutra, man...it's not an exercise, it's an experience!!)....

Machines, at least temporarily, might help you heal rather than hurt
yourself more, and you can switch back to free weights later.

I'm going to try just one more thing...maybe not work at my 1RM on the
squat and deadlift, but only like 85% of it or something...see if that
helps...though again, that really sucks, since what's so ***FUN***
about those exercises is partly due to doing them at my [email protected]!!!

Don't be an idiot. A herniated disk is nothing to screw with.

But you already knew that. ;-)

Yes, yes, machines are my next step....

Gods... If you'd been taking drug store generic supplements, you deserve
what you get.

Sorry.

Eh??

Do the research dude. It's all there at your fingertips. Libraries,
bookstores and the internet.

Just be sure to cross-reference on EVERYthing!
And watch the sources.

I've been doing nutritional research now for 15 years. I know what to do
for my own issues, but sometimes it takes self-discipline, and often
takes a bit of $$$ too.

Good supplements are not cheap.

More is the reason to research the hell out of it before adding it to
your regimen. ;-)

SIGH...DAMN...THEY ALL LIED TO ME!!!!!!

Everything works better with good food too.
NEVER discount a good diet.

And a good diet can taste good. Just don't be lazy.
Learn to cook.

It's not laziness, it's a simple lack of interest! I spend much much
much mooooorrrrreeeeee TIME shopping for food and preparing it -- not
to mention cleaning up -- than I do cooking or, for that matter,
enjoying it!! Just not "cost-effective"...it's almost like trying to
give myself a haircut...hard to do, and then I wind up less-than-
satisfied anyway, for all the time and effort....

You freaking wish that were true. ;-)
Docs that know me admit that they know squat about nutrition unless they
take the extra time to learn it themselves.

You want nutritional advice?

Talk to a veterinarian...

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.
Animals are treated better than humans on that scale.
It's because animals don't have the bank accounts. g

Any veterinarian knows 10 times more about nutrition than any human MD I
know, except for the ones that cared enough to learn more about it!

The medical world is run by the drug companies.

Money talks, bull**** walks...

A good sports Doc on the other hand...
I think they are the exception to that rule.

Sigh...yes, I'm beginning to see all this now, for myself...it's
actually depressing, you know, to find lies and ignorance at every
turn -- from precisely those who should be knowledgeable and
concerned!! God damn it, is nothing sacred anymore?? The Nazis were
obsessed with race, the Commies were obsessed with class, and our
capitalist society is obsessed with money...I wonder if there'll ever
come a time when someone does something because, like, s/he actually
gave a real damn???

Oh please... Learn to use Google!

Seriously, google is weird, like how the computer acts up but then
behaves when a techie is called in....

And the right books. It's why I recommended Mindel.
He is just a start.

Yes, I ordered it from amazon the other day. I will be much obliged;
thanks...I'm dedicating my 315-lb. squat to you, man!! I think that
will be by no later than this time next year....

You'll learn. g
Taking pills is actually easier and a LOT less work than trying to get
everything you need out of your food.

If only it worked that way! But I'm desperate, I'm willing to try
anything now...me with a bad back is like Einstein losing his marbles
-- an incredible development, unbelievable, my back was always so
strong!

shrugs I'm 45.

Deal with it. ;-)

I am...thanks for the hand-holding...can't believe I'm going to be one
of these people holding up the morning commute every day...I was
shocked to see Bush introducing Romney earlier this month at his I-am-
a-Mormon speech...did you see him? I mean, Bush, Sr. -- the guy was
hobbling to the podium!! This is the same guy who, what, parachuted
or skydived for his 80th birthday, a filthy-rich WASP who's got the
best medical care in the world, and he was walking in a very shaky
manner!!!

Huh?
I'm saying to read between the lines and stop taking life so bloody
seriously! You will never get out of it alive.

Neither will I. g

Now you'll have me die laughing....

Humor is good medicine!

Oh, certainly! I love ****ing off MFW readers, it's hilarious, like
zapping a maze of lab rats!

It increases Endorphin levels.
So does weight lifting. It's why it gets you high when you lift heavy.

And that's why I really want to do my squats and deadlifts at my 1RM!
It's amazing, my whole body goes into overdrive, it's really almost
like sex, no joke, a total mind-body experience....

Uh, yah.

Think about it.

Sure you need your torso to be straight, but I've always thought of a
head-stand as a matter of balance, not strength...I'd venture to say
it's 99% balance, and only minimally about strength. I haven't done
one in like twenty years, but I seem to recall it was more about
balance and getting used to the weight on the head!

Lets see a couch potato with good balance to one. ;-)

Don't know what you mean by "couch potato," exactly, but I think a
rotund fellow like Samo Hung could!

NO!

Lifetime commitment.
"New Yearz Rezolutions" are for pussies.

I resolve to commit to life-long yoga!

Uh, try the sugar free...
Plain works for me.

Read more labels dude!

Surely someone's written a manual on aging issues? Like how to grow
old, what to eat, etc.

I know it sounds funny, but it's actually depressing to have your
world "close in" on you like this...God damn, when your own body is
rebelling...what the heck is the point after that?? It's like being
dictator of some banana republic...useless, really....

Old December 20th 07, 07:12 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,alt.sport.weightlifting,sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain,alt.yoga

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
[...]

Main thing to consider is you are taking advise from a cook. Om is a nice
guy, I would trust my sister Sameera with him. He is a decent guy. But if
you want real advice, you should ask someone like me - smart, urbane, some
would say handsome, well versed in the ways of the world. I can help you but
I would need to get up to speed with your problem - can you tell me in your
own words, 25 words or less - give me a summary of the issue(s) and I will
put you right. I am not a doctor but I do know quite a bit about the share
market. So I will share my knowledge with you.
OK?

Old December 20th 07, 08:26 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights,alt.sport.weightlifting,sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain,alt.yoga
Omelet

In article
,
Prisoner at War wrote:

On Dec 20, 12:13 pm, Omelet wrote:

And why take silly risks for machismo if you already know you have a
bloody herniated disk? Pardon, but that's just foolish imho.

But, it's your body...

But that's the thing: I don't know what's "silly"...maybe I'm just
pushing myself too hard, or have vitamin deficiencies, whatever --
there's nothing inherently dangerous about a properly-performed squat
or deadlift, right? Even with a herniated disc, right -- as long as
you don't flex your spine, use your lower back in any way...etc.

I just ***REALLY*** can't stomach the thought of not being able to do
what I want to do...this is ridiculous, I'm only 36 and I can't squat,
jog, or put on my socks?!?!?!

Think about paraplegics in wheelchairs...

Sometime setbacks are temporary.
Push it and it can become permanent.

You have to work thru injuries, not push them to the "breaking" point.

You must have done sometime wrong at your age to have a herniated disk
in the first place.

It's possible a sucky diet and taking foolish risks put you into this
situation in the first place.

I suppose. I just don't know anymore. Apparently, I never did! I
just don't know. All I know is that I work out because I have a
natural restlessness which is greatly relieved by a hard workout, and
I am loathe to give that up (and I'm ***IN LOVE WITH*** squats and
deadlifts b/c of how they get me going!! Like something outta da Kama
Sutra, man...it's not an exercise, it's an experience!!)....

I think we all understand. ;-) It's a serious high.
Get high on bench presses and pulldowns until your back heals.

You will also be amazed at what heavy leg presses can do while still
protecting your back.

Machines, at least temporarily, might help you heal rather than hurt
yourself more, and you can switch back to free weights later.

I'm going to try just one more thing...maybe not work at my 1RM on the
squat and deadlift, but only like 85% of it or something...see if that
helps...though again, that really sucks, since what's so ***FUN***
about those exercises is partly due to doing them at my [email protected]!!!

It's your body and your decision.
Just don't come crying back to us if you hurt yourself by pushing it TOO
SOON!

Don't be an idiot. A herniated disk is nothing to screw with.

But you already knew that. ;-)

Yes, yes, machines are my next step....

For now. ;-)

Gods... If you'd been taking drug store generic supplements, you deserve
what you get.

Sorry.

Eh??

Generic vitamins are ****.
Do the research.

Better than nothing, but NOT for weight lifters!

You are not the average couch spud.

Do the research dude. It's all there at your fingertips. Libraries,
bookstores and the internet.

Just be sure to cross-reference on EVERYthing!
And watch the sources.

I've been doing nutritional research now for 15 years. I know what to do
for my own issues, but sometimes it takes self-discipline, and often
takes a bit of $$$ too.

Good supplements are not cheap.

More is the reason to research the hell out of it before adding it to
your regimen. ;-)

SIGH...DAMN...THEY ALL LIED TO ME!!!!!!

Yes.
Now you are understanding...

Everything works better with good food too.
NEVER discount a good diet.

And a good diet can taste good. Just don't be lazy.
Learn to cook.

It's not laziness, it's a simple lack of interest! I spend much much
much mooooorrrrreeeeee TIME shopping for food and preparing it -- not
to mention cleaning up -- than I do cooking or, for that matter,
enjoying it!! Just not "cost-effective"...it's almost like trying to
give myself a haircut...hard to do, and then I wind up less-than-
satisfied anyway, for all the time and effort....

Batch cooking on weekends.

Pressure cookers.
Roasting, baking, freezing portions.

It's all there.

Planning.

You can batch cook on weekends and make a weeks worth of your own decent
frozen meals.

Fill it in with decent MRP's.

I only seriously cook 2 or 3 times per week now as needed.
I just cooked a monster batch of red and brown rice yesterday in beef
stock with carrots, onions, garlic, peas, some shredded beef and thinly
sliced pork. I cook rice in stock to give it flavor.

I added some fresh scrambled eggs to it for lunch. We (two of us) will
be eating off of that for 3 days.

BTW, eggs are easy and a good way to use up leftovers.

Omelets.

[...]

I know.

God damn it, is nothing sacred anymore??

No. He who has the gold makes the rules.
Health care and drugs generate BILLIONS.
Why make people well with wellness practices when you can addict them to
drugs for the rest of their lives?

Granted, I'll be taking thyroid meds for the rest of my life, but that's
genetic. I wish there was a cure... but I have yet to find a cure for
hypothyroidism. :-(

The Nazis were
obsessed with race, the Commies were obsessed with class, and our
capitalist society is obsessed with money...

And access to oil.

I wonder if there'll ever
come a time when someone does something because, like, s/he actually
gave a real damn???

There are a few. :-)
I've been fortunate to be aquianted with 3 MD's that actually give a
****. Hm, make that 4... but only 3 really know their sh** including my
current endocrinologist that actually consults with the other 2 MD's I
know that are awesome with their nutritional knowledge. ;-)

She knows her limitations and does not pretend to be god...
She also listens to me, then checks up on what I suggest before making
further recommendations.

Oh please... Learn to use Google!

Seriously, google is weird, like how the computer acts up but then
behaves when a techie is called in....

Yeah, I understand. Searching Google takes some experience and skill,
but so does life. Key words dude. Key words. Refine searches using "."

And the right books. It's why I recommended Mindel.
He is just a start.

Yes, I ordered it from amazon the other day. I will be much obliged;
thanks...I'm dedicating my 315-lb. squat to you, man!! I think that
will be by no later than this time next year....

Cheers. :-)
I've done a lot of research and he seems to be very reliable, but I'm
cautious and cross-reference even him before shelling out more $$$ for
any supplements. g

You'll learn. g
Taking pills is actually easier and a LOT less work than trying to get
everything you need out of your food.

If only it worked that way! But I'm desperate, I'm willing to try
anything now...me with a bad back is like Einstein losing his marbles
-- an incredible development, unbelievable, my back was always so
strong!

shrugs I'm 45.

Deal with it. ;-)

I am...thanks for the hand-holding...

No worries. ;-)

can't believe I'm going to be one
of these people holding up the morning commute every day...I was
shocked to see Bush introducing Romney earlier this month at his I-am-
a-Mormon speech...did you see him? I mean, Bush, Sr. -- the guy was
hobbling to the podium!! This is the same guy who, what, parachuted
or skydived for his 80th birthday, a filthy-rich WASP who's got the
best medical care in the world, and he was walking in a very shaky
manner!!!

I'd rather not die in a wheelchair if I can avoid it.

Huh?
I'm saying to read between the lines and stop taking life so bloody
seriously! You will never get out of it alive.

Neither will I. g

Now you'll have me die laughing....

lol
There are worse ways to die...

Humor is good medicine!

Oh, certainly! I love ****ing off MFW readers, it's hilarious, like
zapping a maze of lab rats!

Some have no patience, or have been made too cynical by the trolls.
I generally try at least and have been criticized for it.

I really do care and if I can help even one person without doing any
harm... but my goal is to help people to learn to help themselves like I
have had to do for the most part.

The trick is learning WHERE to look!

Just pass it on...

It increases Endorphin levels.
So does weight lifting. It's why it gets you high when you lift heavy.

And that's why I really want to do my squats and deadlifts at my 1RM!
It's amazing, my whole body goes into overdrive, it's really almost
like sex, no joke, a total mind-body experience....

I know.

My greatest love is heavy deadlifting. The high lasts me for hours. ;-)

Uh, yah.

Think about it.

Sure you need your torso to be straight, but I've always thought of a
head-stand as a matter of balance, not strength...I'd venture to say
it's 99% balance, and only minimally about strength. I haven't done
one in like twenty years, but I seem to recall it was more about
balance and getting used to the weight on the head!

I'd say head stands are 50/50.
Half torso strength, 1/2 balance.

And part of it is mental too.

Lets see a couch potato with good balance to one. ;-)

Don't know what you mean by "couch potato," exactly, but I think a
rotund fellow like Samo Hung could!

NO!

Lifetime commitment.
"New Yearz Rezolutions" are for pussies.

I resolve to commit to life-long yoga!

lol

Uh, try the sugar free...
Plain works for me.

Read more labels dude!

Surely someone's written a manual on aging issues? Like how to grow
old, what to eat, etc.

I know it sounds funny, but it's actually depressing to have your
world "close in" on you like this...God damn, when your own body is
rebelling...what the heck is the point after that?? It's like being
dictator of some banana republic...useless, really....

Nah. Your body belongs to you.
You can dictate terms to a certain extent, but it's a partner and
sometimes there are compromises.

In your case, they can be temporary if you don't push it too far.

Good luck dude! ;-)

I mean that.

Old December 20th 07, 10:39 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights, alt.sport.weightlifting, sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain, alt.yoga
Prisoner at War

On Dec 20, 2:26 pm, Omelet wrote:

Think about paraplegics in wheelchairs...

Sometime setbacks are temporary.
Push it and it can become permanent.

You have to work thru injuries, not push them to the "breaking" point.

You must have done sometime wrong at your age to have a herniated disk
in the first place.

Yeah, but that was the Army. This is working-out, I'm doing 97%
correct form like 95% of the time!

I think we all understand. ;-) It's a serious high.
Get high on bench presses and pulldowns until your back heals.

You will also be amazed at what heavy leg presses can do while still
protecting your back.

Yes yes, I'll have to get in line with the rest of the gym now...it
was really cool how I could always (99% of the time) just walk in the
gym, do my 10-min. cardio warm-up, and go straight to the power cage!

It's your body and your decision.
Just don't come crying back to us if you hurt yourself by pushing it TOO
SOON!

Seriously, if that happens, I'll definitely post a warning to all...or
have one posted for me....

For now. ;-)

Yes, I have to treat this like my stupid left elbow, no such-and-such
for the time being, all such-and-such suspended until further
notice...damn, didn't that guy Andy Petite or whatever-his-name-is of
the Yankees admit to HGH for healing his elbow?? Maybe I should look
into this ****, too...!

Generic vitamins are ****.
Do the research.

Better than nothing, but NOT for weight lifters!

You are not the average couch spud.

Will do, will do for sure. I hope these things aren't made in
China...I think a lot of them are. That what you mean?? When looking
for protein and creatine, I really tried to make sure they were Made
in the U.S.A., but who knows with labels anymore...just like how an
American-made car could have lotsa foreign components, who knows what
the hell is going on in the supplements and dietary health
business....

Yes.
Now you are understanding...

I actually picked up some thin B&W but rather expensive "health
newsletter" recently, the kind that warns against microwaving in
plastic take-out containers, etc. Lots of warnings and weird advice
-- how the heck do you know...sigh....

Batch cooking on weekends.

That would be my whole weekend! I ain't kidding, either -- it takes
me over half the day to do laundry, and that's simply loading machines
and popping in quarters!

Pressure cookers.
Roasting, baking, freezing portions.

It's all there.

Planning.

You can batch cook on weekends and make a weeks worth of your own decent
frozen meals.

Main thing is, my cooking ain't worth all that time and effort!

Fill it in with decent MRP's.

Actually, I'm thinking of getting MREs -- Meals Rejected by Ethiopians
-- that's how bland my cooking is....

I only seriously cook 2 or 3 times per week now as needed.
I just cooked a monster batch of red and brown rice yesterday in beef
stock with carrots, onions, garlic, peas, some shredded beef and thinly
sliced pork. I cook rice in stock to give it flavor.

I added some fresh scrambled eggs to it for lunch. We (two of us) will
be eating off of that for 3 days.

You should start a lil' business...I'd love to pay someone in NYC to
cook me up healthy meals....

BTW, eggs are easy and a good way to use up leftovers.

Omelets.

I see you've got good yolks!

I know.

No. He who has the gold makes the rules.
Health care and drugs generate BILLIONS.
Why make people well with wellness practices when you can addict them to
drugs for the rest of their lives?

Indeed, some things are too important to be left totally to "the
market"....

Granted, I'll be taking thyroid meds for the rest of my life, but that's
genetic. I wish there was a cure... but I have yet to find a cure for
hypothyroidism. :-(

Oh, wow, I just looked this up, that's some serious stuff...my
condolences. I see why you need to be almost an expert on all this
detested rocket science!

And access to oil.

Well, that's everybody, unfortunately.

There are a few. :-)
I've been fortunate to be aquianted with 3 MD's that actually give a
****. Hm, make that 4... but only 3 really know their sh** including my
current endocrinologist that actually consults with the other 2 MD's I
know that are awesome with their nutritional knowledge. ;-)

She knows her limitations and does not pretend to be god...
She also listens to me, then checks up on what I suggest before making
further recommendations.

Hey, maybe you should introduce them to the joys of usenet and MFW....

Yeah, I understand. Searching Google takes some experience and skill,
but so does life. Key words dude. Key words. Refine searches using "."

No, I already know that, my problem is I still don't get anything
useful! Like, for example, trying looking up a certain NYT article on
how the U.S. Army is rethinking its P.T. program from being endurance-
based to being strength-based...no matter what keywords I use, I can't
find it!!

Cheers. :-)
I've done a lot of research and he seems to be very reliable, but I'm
cautious and cross-reference even him before shelling out more $$$ for
any supplements. g

I'm very cautious too -- because I know how desperate I am! Thanks
again for the assist...looks like more holiday reading....

Some have no patience, or have been made too cynical by the trolls.

Nah, they're just not used to reading usenet without a guardian
accompanying them.

I generally try at least and have been criticized for it.

?

I really do care and if I can help even one person without doing any
harm... but my goal is to help people to learn to help themselves like I
have had to do for the most part.

The trick is learning WHERE to look!

Well, yeah, that's the key to everything in life...unfortunately,
those who know ain't saying -- and something like this subject, I
don't think anyone really knows a whole lot....

Just pass it on...

Honestly, many thanks for the back-care tips. I do often take the
body-as-engine analogy too far.

I know.

My greatest love is heavy deadlifting. The high lasts me for hours. ;-)

Aw, man, so no heavy deadlifting for you now...I plan on avoiding that
fate....

I'd say head stands are 50/50.
Half torso strength, 1/2 balance.

And part of it is mental too.

Yeah, it's really tough when you have a lot on your mind!

lol

Nah. Your body belongs to you.
You can dictate terms to a certain extent, but it's a partner and
sometimes there are compromises.

In your case, they can be temporary if you don't push it too far.

Good luck dude! ;-)

I mean that.

Thanks again -- as the famous masked man of MFW says, "enjoy your
weekend, ol' chap -- you know I will!"

Old December 26th 07, 06:24 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights, alt.sport.weightlifting, sci.med.nutrition,alt.support.chronic-pain, alt.yoga
Prisoner at War

On Dec 20, 1:12 pm, "David" wrote:

Main thing to consider is you are taking advise from a cook. Om is a nice
guy, I would trust my sister Sameera with him. He is a decent guy. But if
you want real advice, you should ask someone like me - smart, urbane, some
would say handsome, well versed in the ways of the world. I can help you but
I would need to get up to speed with your problem - can you tell me in your
own words, 25 words or less - give me a summary of the issue(s) and I will
put you right. I am not a doctor but I do know quite a bit about the share
market. So I will share my knowledge with you.
OK?

--

My problem?

I don't believe in the mission.

Any mission.

I seem to have somehow fallen back into that prepubescent angst of if-
the-universe-is-going-to-end-anyway-what's-the-point-of-homework???

Old February 25th 08, 01:27 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights,alt.sport.weightlifting,uk.rec.bodybuilding,alt.support.chronic-pain,alt.yoga
Homer Simpson[_2_]

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message

Due to my bad back, my squat sessions are abandoned before my legs are
truly toasted. I can go for another five or so reps, for another
three or so sets, but it's on account of my quickly-weakening lumbar
that I am forced to stop well before total muscle failure in the legs.

Same thing with the deadlift, though to a lesser extent...I feel my
lower back weakening, almost trembling, almost buckling, unable to
sustain the proper form...I wonder if that's to be expected...does
your legs give out first on these exercises, or your back? Maybe I'm
just paranoid on account of my herniated disc....

My 1RM is 275-lbs., though I usually work with 225 or 245, 255. My
goal is 335, though I'm already at 315 on the bench press...aren't
one's squats and deadlifts supposed to be heavier than one's bench??
I'm just the opposite for some reason -- again, I'm totally paranoid
about my back....

Yes your squat and deadlift should be higher than your bench all things
being equal. However for you not all things are equal. I fully understand
being paranoid about your back. You don't want to be debilitated the rest of
your life and that is smart. I personally think you should just do what you
can in those lifts but don't push it or be to overly concerned with where
they are going.

For those with the Winter blues ... AlanF Walking in the UK 9 December 17th 07 09:52 PM
New shoes blues Eigenvector Running 6 May 21st 07 09:48 PM
running blues HHSTaylor Running 5 June 30th 04 06:04 PM
Distance Run Blues R.Robinson Running 15 April 21st 04 04:22 PM
Off Topic: The Blues Lee Michaels Weights 8 October 1st 03 04:22 PM