Exercise bands;

Old February 22nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
R P

Default Exercise bands;

Anyone here ever tried those exercise bands ? I bought a set to take
with me when I travel. Normally workout with free weight..but not
exactly "portable",.& although many motels / hotels have exercise
facilities,....most don't.

I have to say they give a much more effective workout than I would
have ever thought, more intended for reps-sets than heavier lifting but
still .......not bad !

Thought I might try a 2-3 month stretch of doing nothing but them just
to see what if any difference ?

Just interested in others, opinions,.comments,..perhaps
experiences............Ron

Old February 22nd 08, 05:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bartleby

On Feb 22, 11:15*am, (R P) wrote:
* * Anyone here ever tried those exercise bands ? I bought a set to take
with me when I travel. Normally workout with free weight..but not
exactly "portable",.& although many motels / hotels have exercise
facilities,....most don't.

* I have to say they give a much more effective workout than I would
have ever thought, more intended for reps-sets than heavier lifting but
still .......not bad !

* Thought I might try a 2-3 month stretch of doing nothing but them just
to see what if any difference ?

*Just interested in others, opinions,.comments,..perhaps
experiences............Ron

Some bands or tubes are thicker than others. There are products that
will give you a great and versatile workout,
even if you're strong. Check out www.lifeline-usa.com.

These things can't be compared to free weights; they involve variable
resistance so they're easier to move in the
early phases and harder the more they're stretched.
Old February 22nd 08, 06:50 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
R P

I could not access that site ?
But yes the bands I'm speaking of are 5 different diameters /
strengths.

I have been dong the exercises / movements in "circuit" type
fashion, of 5 sets of 12-15reps,.per body part.

Four days a week,..two upper,.two lower.

Using the two heavier bands for larger muscles,.chest,back,quads,&
so-on,..& conversely the medium & lighter bands for smaller muscle
groups,.shoulders,.arm,.etc.
And the "pump" I get amazes me,..maybe [my] body just needed a change ?
................Ron

Old February 22nd 08, 09:40 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bartleby

On Feb 22, 12:50*pm, (R P) wrote:
* * I could not access that site ?

I see. Try again later. Great stuff there.

For now, see -

http://www.mikemahler.com/prod_equip/tnt_cable.html
http://www.mikemahler.com/prod_equip..._pushup_2.html

*But yes the bands I'm speaking of are 5 different diameters /
strengths.

* * I have been dong the exercises / movements in "circuit" type
fashion, of 5 sets of 12-15reps,.per body part.

Are these the instructions that came with the bands you're using?
What bands are you using?

Old February 22nd 08, 10:30 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
R P

I've done both,..follow their instructions & create my own
routine.

Mimicking the squat,.toe-raise,.B/press, incline,decline,.&
flat,..fly,.ext,.curl,.etc.
The standard exercises.

Interesting note;....if for examp doing the incline b/press needing
heavier resistance,.slide my bench farther out [from point of anchor]
,..more tension. Then go directly to flyes,..same bands ,..slide he
bench back in,..less tension !

Ron~Milford,Oh
VROC#~13486
AMA#~196185{Life}
00Nomad
99Drifter

Old February 22nd 08, 10:55 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bartleby

On Feb 22, 4:30*pm, (R P) wrote:
* * * *I've done both,..follow their instructions & create my own
routine.

* Mimicking the squat,.toe-raise,.B/press, incline,decline,.&
flat,..fly,.ext,.curl,.etc.
*The standard exercises.

*Interesting note;....if for examp doing the incline b/press needing
heavier resistance,.slide my bench farther out [from point of anchor]
,..more tension. Then go directly to flyes,..same bands ,..slide he
bench back in,..less tension !

Ron~Milford,Oh
VROC#~13486
AMA#~196185{Life}
00Nomad
99Drifter

Sounds good. Mix bands up with other kinds of resistance training.
Old February 23rd 08, 08:31 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Steve Freides

"R P" wrote in message
Anyone here ever tried those exercise bands ? I bought a set to
take
with me when I travel. Normally workout with free weight..but not
exactly "portable",.& although many motels / hotels have exercise
facilities,....most don't.

I have to say they give a much more effective workout than I would
have ever thought, more intended for reps-sets than heavier lifting
but
still .......not bad !

Thought I might try a 2-3 month stretch of doing nothing but them
just
to see what if any difference ?

Just interested in others, opinions,.comments,..perhaps
experiences............Ron

I did a one-week stretch, while traveling, where I performed movements
that mimicked some of my usual lifts, but with bands only. By the end
of a week, I had gotten much better a them - no surprise there. But I
was surprised to find that my performance with plain, old iron had gone
down quite a bit.

IMO, working out with bands only neglects a bunch of things you don't
want to necessarily neglect. The Westside approach uses bands _with_
weights for _some_ of their training, and that is a very good thing,
IMO.

If you're looking at "on-the-road" kinds of exercise, then I would go
with bodyweight only, and use leverage to vary the resistance. This is
a time-honored approach that has served many (including gymnasts) well.
You can, e.g., maintain a decent enough level of strength in your legs
doing one-legged squats - they're a fine exercise with only bodyweight,
and if your hotel has a few dumbbells, you can make them into a
weight-bearing exercise as well because you don't need much weight to
make them challenging. The same thing goes for one-armed pushups.
Pullups are another exercise you can do on the road - find a tree
branch, use the ledge above many doorways, etc. Wall-supported
handstand pushups are another.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old February 23rd 08, 10:44 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
R P

Steve,..so you think they [the bands] diminished your free weight
strength some-what,...after using them?

Interesting. Not disputing your word here but. I'm going to stick with
my plan of the bands only, for two months, then return to f/weight just
to see what happens?

My f/weight chest routine for example
was;....150X10,..200X5-6X3sets,..220X2-3X2sets,..then finish out with
2-3 sets of a fly movement,..varying angles equip,.etc.

I've developed some arthritis & the bands seem easier on my joints
?....& they are a cheap new toy to play with.....g..Ron

Old February 24th 08, 01:36 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bartleby

On Feb 23, 4:44*pm, (R P) wrote:
* * *Steve,..so you think they [the bands] diminished your free weight
strength some-what,...after using them?

* Interesting. Not disputing your word here but. I'm going to stick with
my plan of the bands only, for two months, then return to f/weight just
to see what happens?

* My f/weight chest routine for example
was;....150X10,..200X5-6X3sets,..220X2-3X2sets,..then finish out with
2-3 sets of a fly movement,..varying angles equip,.etc.

* I've developed some arthritis & the bands seem easier on my joints
?....& they are a cheap new toy to play with.....g..Ron

People react differently. My DB shoulder press numbers (modest though
they are) are very satisfactory when I return to these after a period
of only using Lifeline's TNT bands. I've only recently started bench
pressing so I can't say yet whether Lifeline's Power Pushup 2 helps
with my bench numbers. I haven't used bands to mimic squats or
deadlifts. I also lift iron or use bands on a very irregular
schedule; I frequently go for weeks at a time without doing any
resistance training

Based on my experience, I'd agree with the claim that bands help one
to "blast past" a sticking point when moving iron. You learn how to
generate momentum with "heavy" bands as the resistance becomes
progressively greater the farther they are stretched. (Also, a taller
person will naturally do more work with bands; I think Lifeline's
resistance levels are based on use by someone who is 6') In any
event, I doubt bands alone would be very helpful to someone who is
struggling with the initial phases of an iron lift. Of course, It
would be insane to try to train any iron movement by using bands
exclusively.

Old February 25th 08, 05:35 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bartleby

On Feb 22, 12:50 pm, (R P) wrote:
I could not access that site ?

Finally

http://www.lifelineusa.com/

Rubber Bands [email protected] Weights 8 February 15th 05 04:04 AM
Resistance bands FUNCERCISE General 0 January 17th 05 07:40 PM
exercise bands? Jaedi Li General 0 August 8th 04 06:26 PM
Resistance Bands Donna Weights 8 February 23rd 04 06:40 AM
Resistance Bands??? ScooterMonkey Weights 3 September 5th 03 06:15 PM