Polar USB IR installation help

Old February 24th 04, 12:50 PM
Scott Lindner

Default Polar USB IR installation help

Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you would
save with your interface adapter.
I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter would
correctly translate the data being transferred.

I found an adapter for $3. USB is serial. That's what the 'S' stands for.
There only two things that really make it different: it's addressable so you
can have multiple devices on the same adapter, and it's hot swappable which
means there's some additional smarts to know when a device is detected and
to negotiate. Have you seen on some keyboards that they give you a small
PS/2 connector to USB adapter? That does the same thing.

The real important thing is if I can find a driver that would work. Either
Windows has one or it won't work at all. Which is making me think that I'll
give it a quick whirl and if that fails I'm buying a serial Polar device
like you suggested.

Scott

Old February 24th 04, 04:14 PM
mark

I would be interested to hear how your little experiment comes out. I can't
imagine that the IR data is in a different format for either USB or serial?
Could you? And since the PPP software loads the same, IIRC, no matter which
interface you have; that would seem to indicate that your solution will
work.
Good luck, and let me know how it comes out.

--
mark
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.