treadmill speedwork

Old February 16th 04, 05:08 PM
Treemoss2

Default treadmill speedwork

The last couple of weeks I have been doing intervals on a treadmill. I think
they are helping. I don't think they translate directly into running speed on
the road, MPH tread vs MPH road, but they give me the body feeling of speed and
faster leg turnover.
The feedback in speed/time/distance parameters on the treadmill seems better
than intervals on the road. If only because you can easily see what those are
while you are running.
Anyone else have any feedback on treadmill running to increase speed?

I have only been running the program that has equal slow/speed times.
Old February 16th 04, 05:30 PM
Jeff Richert

Due to the colder winter conditions in Calgary - I have had to use the
treadmill for speed and hill work sometimes - and I honestly can say that I
don't like it - it definitely does not give you the same feel as running on
the road and you do not get the same "pounding" effect that you would get on
the road.

However, having said that, I think that it could be effective for the "feel"
of a faster leg turnover - I definitely agree with you there.

My only suggestion would be to set the incline at 1%-2% to give you a more
"road like" effect. When you are running on the treadmill - you don't have
to propel yourself forward like you do on the road - that is why you can run
"faster" on the treadmill than on the road - but by adjusting the incline -
you are having to work a little bit more.

Don't know if that helps - that is only my 2 cents worth - and I am by no
way an expert - just letting you know my experiences.

Cheers!

JR

--
________________________________
Jeff Richert

"It's a line you have to cross to understand."

Old February 16th 04, 05:45 PM
Treemoss2

My only suggestion would be to set the incline at 1%-2% to give you a more
"road like" effect.

I have heard that before. I will try that. I will progress to that. Because I
know that when I go to an incline I'll want to do the same workouts I am
"flat".

Second thoughts on this are that when I run outside I am trying an 'interval'
situation. Wherby I run at the feeling fast pace, but back it down to slow with
no set time/distance involved other than 'to that tree'. Then I look at my
overall time when done. Don't have enough runs yet to determine anything.
I also find treadmill running rather less than roadrunning, but then again I am
only doing these intervals which rarely are longer than 15 minutes total - 6 -
8 repets depending on length.

Old February 16th 04, 07:30 PM
Andy Coggan

"Jeff Richert" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
When you are running on the treadmill - you don't have
to propel yourself forward like you do on the road - that is why you can

run
"faster" on the treadmill than on the road

Sigh.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Andy Coggan

Old February 16th 04, 10:31 PM
Treemoss2

Good synopsis of an article there. So it appears that flat running (treadmill
vs road) has the same O2 demands, BUT that on an incline O2 demands are greater
for real hill runs vs treadmill inclines.
So with that, I do not have to go to an incline to simulate road flat
conditions. Then again, the study dealt with a greater incline (as in HILLS) vs
just the 1-2% to achieve equality for the treadmill.

I'll be doing my own review of this at the gym.
Old February 25th 04, 10:50 AM
2LAP

Andy Coggan wrote:
Sigh.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&db=PubMed&li-
st_uids=4033405&dopt=Abstracthttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f-
cgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=4033405&dopt= Abstract
Andy Coggan

You may also want to look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f
cgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8887211&dopt= AbstractLink

-