treadmill running = no pain, road running = pain; what gives?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Marcus Holmes

Default treadmill running = no pain, road running = pain; what gives?

Some of you will remember my saga. I am slowly recovering from an ankle
injury last May. Took 5 months off, and just recently started ramping up.

So here's the story. I got to the point where I could run 5 miles on the
treadmill with no pain (semi-conservative ramp-up, about 10% a week -
sometimes I didn't follow but most of the time I did). This past
Thanksgiving I decided what the hell and I ran in our local 5 miler.
Literally from the first couple of steps my ankle began to hurt.

I haven't run since then and today decided to run on the treadmill until
my ankle started to hurt or I hit 5 miles, whatever came first. I ran 5
miles with no (or maybe just a bit of tingling) pain.

So my question is, what gives? Why can I run on the treadmill pain free
and not on the road? Is this an indication that I need new shoes (I
shouldn't, number of miles on them is low and I've been running in same
model for over 3 years)? Does it mean I need orthotics? Or does it just
mean I need to strengthen my ankle more by gradually working road work
into my recovery/training?

I'm thinking I almost need two running plans/strategies. The first is my
general 10% increases on the treadmill to get my base going and keep
building with lower impact. The other will be to intersperse road running
into the schedule to help rebuild the ankle tendons, bones, whatever.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiencecs when coming back from an
injury?

Thanks!