Training week ending July 18 2010

Old July 19th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.running
Bart Mathias

Default Training week ending July 18 2010

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 02:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
John Hurley wrote:

Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
goals.

Another (temporary this time?) setback.

Tu: The regular 8+K in 52 minutes, cheeringly back down to the high side of my normal time range.

We: Always hike day. "Ten miles" probably closer to eight. Less than half a mile from the end something at the side of the trail caught my attention, and a mostly-buried rock took advantage of that to grab my right toe and throw me to the ground.

A three-point landing on my nose, jaw, and cell phone. I was sure I would find my jaw broken, some teeth out, and blood streaming from my nose, but when I finally got up there was only a bit of "trail rash" on my nose and chin. The only lingering facial effects five days later are a sore lip--it had bravely shielded my teeth--and a sore right mandible joint when chewing. No effect on running. But landing on the cell phone which I had in my left front pants pocket is another story. Very painful left thigh left few sleep positions and little sleep that night.

Fr: Pain had subsided enough by Thursday night I had no trouble sleeping. Walking the quarter mile to where my runs usually begin and end hurt, but sometimes things that hurt walking haven't hurt while running, so I gave it a try. Running was worse; I gave up after less than a block and took a meandering walk back home.

Sa: The week's plans called for doing the 13K I usually do on Sunday on Saturday, because I had a race to time on Sunday. I went ahead and set my shoes out for an early start, expecting a probable repeat of Friday morning. I was astonished to find the pain so diminished that I could walk downstairs one step per riser instead of two. I changed my mind about trying a run, to be sure to avoid making it worse again.

This week's goal: If Tuesday and Friday come off near normal, as I think they will (I'm starting to show a large bruise but it hardly hurts at all), I'll add 2K to Sunday's 13K. Only two more races to time this year, but maybe some to run on Sundays.

--
Bart Mathias