Spinning and ellipticals

Old July 20th 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.running
Michelle

Default Spinning and ellipticals

I thought that they were supposed to be easier on the knees than running
is. When I run, my knees do not hurt, but I've tried those other two types
of machines within the past week when warming up before my gym workout, and
they hurt my knees; the right one more than the left. So it's the
treadmill for me when I warm up.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 20th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
pithydoug wrote:

I don't know about the elliptical but I hope the spinning machine is
set for your leg length. If not it may irritate and not help.

I solved that problem by not using the spinning machines at all. The only
reason I used the elliptical was that the power went out, so I couldn't use
the treadmill. The ellipticals are either battery powered or using one
powers a generator (or both).

By the way I put on greesemonkey and I can know killfile the AH.

smile

--
26.2 Because I can
Old July 20th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.running
Bobby

On 20/07/2010 03:10, Michelle wrote:
I thought that they were supposed to be easier on the knees than running
is. When I run, my knees do not hurt, but I've tried those other two types
of machines within the past week when warming up before my gym workout, and
they hurt my knees; the right one more than the left. So it's the
treadmill for me when I warm up.

Hello Michelle,

I wonder if this is because of the extent to which they bend your knees?

I found exactly the same on the rowing machine.. perhaps the repeated
bending of the knee to far adds loading to the patella?

However, I wouldnt have thought the ellptical would be bad for the knee...

Bobby
Old July 23rd 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.running
Tony S.[_3_]

"Michelle" wrote in message
I thought that they were supposed to be easier on the knees than
running
is. When I run, my knees do not hurt, but I've tried those other two
types
of machines within the past week when warming up before my gym
workout, and
they hurt my knees; the right one more than the left. So it's the
treadmill for me when I warm up.

--
26.2 Because I can

Doesn't surprise me at all, especially for older knees. Both biking and
elliptical have more range of motion than running, and when you start to
apply sustained force, it takes the joints a while to get used to the
motion, just like with running: it takes a long time for the joints,
tendons and ligaments to adjust to volume. My knees are still adjusting
to biking more as I've recently increased my volume this summer.

-Tony

ellipticals Mister Bean Aerobic 2 October 24th 06 07:05 AM
required headroom for ellipticals Bryan Beasleigh Aerobic 0 October 12th 04 03:55 AM
Headroom required for ellipticals Bryan Beasleigh General 0 October 12th 04 03:54 AM
ellipticals Amy Fong Aerobic 0 November 15th 03 01:44 AM
Ellipticals: Precor vs. True Tim Jones General 0 July 9th 03 02:22 PM