Heart Rate Monitor Shows High Heart Rates at Beginning of a Run

Old January 27th 04, 05:15 AM
William Richmond

Default Heart Rate Monitor Shows High Heart Rates at Beginning of a Run

I just got a Polar S610i heart rate monitor and I have noticed that the
heart rate monitor always indicates a very high heart rate for approximately
the first 5 minutes I run. Typically I will see a rate of about 175 when my
Max is about 180. My pace at this time is in the neighborhood of
8:00min/mile. My typical heart rate for a long sustained run at 7:30 is
typically ~153.

Is this normal?

Is this an artifact of the heart rate monitor?

Thanks for your input

Old January 27th 04, 07:52 AM
Brendon

The only thing I can think of is it may be getting incorrect readings due to
factors such as contact or such. I use a Polar Coach, and for the first 5-10
minutes it reads low due to my heart taking a while to warm up so to speak,
so I average about 130 for 5 minutes, then it settles at about 150 for me
which at 30 is not bad in training for my marathon.

h2h.

Brendon in NZ

Old January 27th 04, 08:12 AM
Dot

William Richmond wrote:
I just got a Polar S610i heart rate monitor and I have noticed that the
heart rate monitor always indicates a very high heart rate for approximately
the first 5 minutes I run. Typically I will see a rate of about 175 when my
Max is about 180. My pace at this time is in the neighborhood of
8:00min/mile. My typical heart rate for a long sustained run at 7:30 is
typically ~153.

Is this normal?

Is this an artifact of the heart rate monitor?

Thanks for your input

I'm assuming when you say max of 180, that is something you've derived
from testing, rather than formula. How was your breathing at the time
when you were first starting out (the 5 min of 175) - could you talk
conversationally?

Do you get anxious about your run and then settle down so that you'd
have a high hr to start? Are you near any power lines at the start? -
although that usually spikes way up (200+) for a little bit. A traffic
light spikes mine unless I remember to use the other hand to press
"walk" button, although doesn't happen all the time. On my first
non-local race, my hr was about 20 bpm above normal and stayed that way
the whole time it seemed (stress of driving through city as well as race).

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Old January 27th 04, 12:46 PM
Ken

Hi,

Mine does something similar and jumps around a bit at the start of a
run. This is usually due to contact - it improves if the chest strap
is tightened up and when I start to sweat a bit. On cold days where I
stay "drier" tightening the strap fixes it. Also wet the contacts
AFTER you've put the strap on as it can get dried off a bit as you
adjust it.

Not sure I agree with the other poster that your heart takes time to
"warm up" and stays low for 5 minutes!! If anything my HR goes a few
beats higher at first until my muscles have warmed up and presumably
are working more efficiently after which my pace goes up slightly for
the same HR.

Ken

Old January 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Jonathan Sydenham

"Ken" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Mine does something similar and jumps around a bit at the start of a
run. This is usually due to contact - it improves if the chest strap
is tightened up and when I start to sweat a bit. On cold days where I
stay "drier" tightening the strap fixes it. Also wet the contacts
AFTER you've put the strap on as it can get dried off a bit as you
adjust it.

snip

Ken is onto the right answer here. The transmissions are eratic until there
is enough moisture between you and the belt AND until your shirt is wet
enough to stop static from building up as it rubs the outside of the belt.
You can solve the problem by splashing water on your shirt above the belt
(the front will do :-)) before you set out.
This issue is addresed in Polar's FAQ (I seem to remember) and also affects
CardioSport HRMs.
Jonathan

Old January 27th 04, 06:38 PM
Dot

Ken wrote:

Not sure I agree with the other poster that your heart takes time to
"warm up" and stays low for 5 minutes!! If anything my HR goes a few
beats higher at first until my muscles have warmed up and presumably
are working more efficiently after which my pace goes up slightly for
the same HR.

Do you have a warmup period before you start your hrm so that when you
turn it on, you're already at effort for the run? I usually have a 5-10
min warmup at the start of my runs (after about 200m walking and
sometimes some indoor work, esp if subzero F) where my hr is low, but my
warmup is an easier effort than rest of run while legs are warming up.

Dot

Old January 27th 04, 11:55 PM
Steve Hansen

William Richmond wrote:

I just got a Polar S610i heart rate monitor and I have noticed that the
heart rate monitor always indicates a very high heart rate for approximately
the first 5 minutes I run. Typically I will see a rate of about 175 when my
Max is about 180. My pace at this time is in the neighborhood of
8:00min/mile. My typical heart rate for a long sustained run at 7:30 is
typically ~153.

Is this normal?

Is this an artifact of the heart rate monitor?

My Polar HRM sometimes reads north of 220 right after
starting. (The first time it happened, I thought I was
having a heart attack!)

It typically happens when I don't have a good
connection between the contacts and the skin. It is
necessary to wet the contacts. A lick on a finger, then
wipe the finger across the contacts, does the trick.

Steve

Old January 28th 04, 12:19 AM
John Galt

Go to your local medical supply store and buy a couple tubes of electrode
conductivity gel. Doesn't take much, certainly less than half the volume of
toothpaste used for a typical brushing, so a tube will last a long time.
Spit is good, but this is better.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:44 AM
Troy

You will possibly find that until there is moisture on the contacts, it may
be counting in time with your footsteps, recording each bounce as a heart
beat. A little water splashed on should solve the problem.

Regards

Troy

Old February 3rd 04, 03:29 PM
Richard Stiller

Cold weather effects the HRM too.

Heat the chest monitor with a hair dryer for about a minute or two then wet
it down with warm water. Then put it on.

It will work better that way. During the sunmmer you will not need to
generally do this.