"Magnetic" Mountains

Old October 10th 03, 04:44 PM
Peter

Default "Magnetic" Mountains

You know what I mean (hopefully): those mountains - where by means of
altered horizons and perspective etc - give one the impression of going
uphill when in fact you are going downhill and vice versa...
Can anyone supply me with a list and/or weblink to them?

I have Googled - but found nothing but magnetic variation etc....

TIA
Peter

---

Old October 10th 03, 04:54 PM
Code Developer

"Peter" wrote in message
You know what I mean (hopefully): those mountains - where by means of
altered horizons and perspective etc - give one the impression of going
uphill when in fact you are going downhill and vice versa...
Can anyone supply me with a list and/or weblink to them?

One in Scotland is called the Electric Brae, isn't it?

Shaun.

Old October 10th 03, 05:04 PM
Simon Challands

In message
"Peter" wrote:

You know what I mean (hopefully): those mountains - where by means of
altered horizons and perspective etc - give one the impression of going
uphill when in fact you are going downhill and vice versa...
Can anyone supply me with a list and/or weblink to them?

Old water leats can often look like they are going uphill, and unless they
knew something really clever when they built them they must be flowing
downhill from where the water was taken off.

--
Simon Challands, creator of
The Acorn Elite Pages: http://elite.acornarcade.com/
Old October 10th 03, 07:59 PM
Peter

thanx all

Peter

"David Skinner" wrote in message
.com...
In article ,
says...
You know what I mean (hopefully): those mountains - where by means of
altered horizons and perspective etc - give one the impression of going
uphill when in fact you are going downhill and vice versa...
Can anyone supply me with a list and/or weblink to them?

I have Googled - but found nothing but magnetic variation etc....

http://thefolklorist.com/horror/gravityhills.htm

HTH

---

Old October 10th 03, 11:41 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Peter" wrote:
You know what I mean (hopefully): those mountains - where by means of
altered horizons and perspective etc - give one the impression of going
uphill when in fact you are going downhill and vice versa...

There's a stretch of the road #217 a little north ov Velletri with a
stream alongside it where the water clearly flows uphill.

That's southeast from Rome, between 20 and 30 miles.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
Old October 12th 03, 09:01 AM
Budgie

"John Laird" wrote in message

| Probably a hanging offence not to call it "Strathclyde" now :-) Passed an
| old sign announcing "Richmondshire" this afternoon - wonder how old that
| is...

I'm not sure the residents of Richmondshire District Council would be
pleased to hear that. For information, Richmondshire covers the area from
Richmond up to Hawes.

Until the next report on local government re-organisation next year, that
is!

Budgie

---

Old October 12th 03, 10:01 AM
Phil Cook

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:01:36 +0100, Budgie wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message
.. .

| Probably a hanging offence not to call it "Strathclyde" now :-) Passed an
| old sign announcing "Richmondshire" this afternoon - wonder how old that
| is...

I'm not sure the residents of Richmondshire District Council would be
pleased to hear that. For information, Richmondshire covers the area from
Richmond up to Hawes.

So it is Yorkshire. A better name would be Richmond District.