Polar USB IR installation help

Old February 17th 04, 12:40 PM
Scott Lindner

Default Polar USB IR installation help

Hmm... do you have a link to the software update you think should work?
Everything I found on their website doesn't work.

I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard running Windows XP. That is my desired
computer to use the HRM on. I have a much older computer that I'm using now
but I want to retire it for good reasons.

Scott

"mark" wrote in message
Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes

conflict
with Polar. I had thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe you
just got lucky.

There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it
"seems" to solve all the problems.
Good luck.
If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech support
last year about this problem.

--
mark

Old February 17th 04, 03:07 PM
mark

Try this:

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.n...F?OpenDocument

--
mark
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
news

Old February 21st 04, 05:24 PM
Scott Lindner

Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with Polar
Tech Support. They gave me the same line and suggestion.

I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I have done
everything perfectly and cleanly and it still does not work. For your FYI,
I've included the email exchange between me and Polar to this point. So you
can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the
extreme measures I've taken to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. If
you find a hole in my method and can think of an alternate approach please
let me know so I can try it.

Cheers,
Scott

Email exchange with Polar...

I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB IR
device. I've attached my system information as your email describes.

Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was completely
clean.
2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the system.
3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the
version is 3.0 and rebooted.
4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using the URL
provided in your email.
5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed the
recommended option for installing the driver.
7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver. I
let it go for about ten minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR device
and the installation immediately completed.
8. I rebooted the computer.
9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and it
showed the Polar USB device installed and there was no exclamation mark near
it.
10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected. The
computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a couple of
minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device and the
OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP software. It
would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.

I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I know
the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on another
computer. I can still use it on that computer and it works just fine. I
want to retire that computer as it is very old.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers,
Scott Lindner

--- wrote:

Dear Mr. Lindner,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in
responding to your
message.

If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need
to have the PPP SW
3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the
Polar IR Interface for
USB port are installed when installing the Polar
Precision Performance software
version 3.02.007 or later or running the update file for
the version 3.02.007 or
later. You can check the version by selecting Help -
About. However, it is
recommended to use always the latest software version.
You can find the update
file on the following link:

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.n...F?OpenDocument

NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the
Polar IR Interface must NOT
be connected to the computer's USB port.

After the installation/updating process you can connect
the interface. The USB
Interface Auto Check function is on by default i.e. if
the Polar IR Interface
for USB port is connected the software detects it
automatically and uses in IR
communication.

Normal functioning

When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the
toolbar the yellow
light inside the Interface should start flashing.
Although the light does not
flash you can try the communication with the HR
monitor; only the led in the
Interface may be defective.
The IR Communication box is displayed on the
computer's screen.
On the HR monitor display the Infrared COM text and
percentages are shown.

Checking the Polar USB drivers

You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the
drivers are installed
properly.
Connect the Interface into the USB port and open the
Windows Device Manager
e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then
pressing the Pause/Break key.
Check that PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then
select Polar USB Interface,
right-click and select Properties from the shortcut
menu. Check that there is
text "This device is working properly" in the Device
Status pane on the
General page.

NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not
exist in front of the Polar
USB Interface text.

(Embedded image moved to file:
pic07510.pcx)

Troubleshooting

INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES
The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be
installed with the instruction
in the user manual of the Interface. The most
important thing is NOT to have
the Interface connected into the USB port when
installing/updating the
software for the first time to the version that
installs the Polar USB
drivers i.e. to the version 3.02.007 or later.
If the Interface is connected but the Polar USB
drivers do not exist in the
computer it is necessary to remove the drivers by
using Polar USB Remover
Tool. You find the detailed instruction and the tool
from the page (Document
link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View
'Published\By Product and
Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed
drivers of Polar IR
Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly
installed drivers of Polar
IR Interface for USB port.
On Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, the
user must have been
logged in with administrator rights to install Polar
USB drivers to the
system. You can install the Polar Precision
Performance software with user
rights, but the Polar USB drivers will not be
installed. When
installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or
later without
administrator rights to computer's running Windows
2000 or Windows XP the
error message "Installation failed" is displayed.
However, the software is
installed properly and it works without problems, only
Polar USB drivers
installation has failed. Installing without
administrator rights may cause
problems later when installing the Polar USB drivers.
HARDWARE RELATED ISSUES
If the yellow light inside the Interface is not
flashing, check that it is
connected properly to the USB port.
If it is possible, try the communication with another
interface unit to
ensure that the Interface is not defective.
Check that the USB port is not broken, and it is not
disabled on computer's
BIOS. If the computer has several USB ports try
another one. For example, try
another port if everything seems to work properly but
no data is transferred.
Unplugging and then reconnecting the Interface into
the USB port may enable
the IR communication. If the communication begins to
work after replugging,
the Interface is defective. In that case, please
contact your local
distributor to change the Interface. You can find the
distributor information
from Polar Web site. However, you can use the
Interface by unplugging and
then replugging it after starting the computer.
Although the operating system should handle the
devices installed on the same
IRQ line, sometimes problems may occur after
installing a new device e.g. a
modem or a network card. The IRQ lines can be checked
on the Device Manager.
If the USB port stops working after installing a new
device, remove the
installation and then reinstall the device. Normally
it will be installed on
another IRQ line as in the previous installation and
the USB port is not
interfered by this device.
If you have a lot of USB devices installed to your
computer they may
interfere with the functioning of each other e.g.
Polar IR Interface.
The USB version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1.
or later. The USB
version in the computer can be checked from the
computer's manual, for
example. However, most of the computers are using the
USB version 1.1. or
later.
The computer is too slow for Polar IR Interface for
USB port. The minimum is
Pentium 200 MHz.
OPERATING SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES
Updating the operating system may fix also data
transmission problems via
computer's USB port. Note that any device e.g. Polar
IR Interface should not
be connected to the USB port while updating the
operating system.
Sometimes updating the operating system may also cause
problems. If the data
transmission is stopped after updating the OS, you can
try if resuming the OS
to the previously existing installation reverts the
data transmission.
The operating system may be "aged". Especially Windows
95 / Windows 98 and
Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use
(2-5 years). The possible
reason for this is that installing several programs
mix different files in
the OS (e.g. .dll files) so that the system functions
in an irregular manor
e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the
most important system
files e.g. by installing the latest version of the
Microsoft Internet
Explorer may help. However, reinstalling the whole
system is the most
effective way to stabilize the system.

Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers

1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the
computer's USB port.
2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB
Interface.
3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes
the drivers.
4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a
while connect it again.
The operating system reinstalls the drivers.
5. Try the IR communication.

If the communication does not work run the update file
for the version PPP SW
3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can
be installed also by
running the usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision
Performance\USB folder.

The removing procedure in the operating system does not
remove all components
and register entries in the system. If the communication
does not work after
using the removing features in the system you can remove
Polar USB drivers and
register entries by using the Polar USB Remover Tool, and
after that reinstall
the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and the
tool from the page
(Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View
'Published\By Product
and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed
drivers of Polar IR
Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly
installed drivers of Polar IR
Interface for USB port.

Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional
operating system

If the communication does not work after performing these
troubleshooting
issues, please provide us with additional system
information.

Please perform the following steps:

Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB
port.
Select Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools -
System Information.
Then select the System Summary row.
Select File - Export to save the whole system
information in .txt mode.

Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we
may further assist you.

If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer
Service at
800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Thank you for choosing Polar.

Customer Service
POLAR ELECTRO INC.

2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM

Feedback from helpdesk page:

"I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB
interface to work on
this machine. I have reinstalled the operating system
numerous times and still
cannot get it to work. I have used the USB driver remove
tool from your website
and each time when I reinstall the Windows 2000 USB
driver provided by your
software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you
provide any guidance so I
can use your product?"

Name: Scott Lindner

Email:

Product: "IR USB"
Serial: "M218900501813"
Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0"
Computer type, Internet browser, Operating system:
"4.00.025"

ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream

name=pic07510.pcx

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Old February 21st 04, 05:54 PM
mark

It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I came to
earlier:
buy the serial connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone with a
different/more compatible computer.

I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is plenty
fast enough works like a charm.

Good luck.

Old February 21st 04, 07:46 PM
Scott Lindner

Yeah.. that's probably the case. I thought someone posted that it will
definitely work with any hardware with their latest software. I must have
misinterpreted it.

I'm going to ask Polar if any IR device will work or if it has to be the
Polar IR device. I hate serial devices. I'd much rather stick with USB if
I can. I'll post back anything new I learn.

BUT.. I appreciate knowing that the serial device will solve my problem if I
can't get anything else to work. Thanks for helping.

BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?

Scott

Old February 21st 04, 11:09 PM
mark

Hmmm, I think it was me that posted about the new software easing their
compatibility problems.

Anyway, here is the exchange with Polar that I had to help them narrow down
my problems.
I am not sure exactly what, in the very extensive summary report, they
looked at but they reported incompatiblitiy with XP USB implementation.
Don't know if that was hardware (i.e. motherboard) or software (i.e. XP
itself or just USB driver). Whatever it was they were very clear that their
software would not support USB on my Hewlitt Packard.

Dear Sir,

I can not send you the file you requested because your .013 update locks up
my system at the point that it tries to copy the file PolarUSB.sys to my
c:windows\system32\drivers directory. I have attached the system info file
as it stands before the lock up.

mark
Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have trouble with

Polar
products. Could you provide us the system information of your PC? It would

help
us to assist you further.

Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port.
Select Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information.
Then select the System Summary row.
Select File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
Email the file as an attachment to us.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this problem has caused you.

Best Regards,

Petri Tsokkinen

Technical Support Consultant
Polar Electro Oy
Finland

Old February 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Scott Lindner

Damn.. you had the same problem I had. I think I should start looking for
the serial device.
Thanks so much for the post.

Scott

"mark" wrote in message
It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I

came
earlier:
buy the serial connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone

with
different/more compatible computer.

I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is

plenty
fast enough works like a charm.

Good luck.

--
mark
Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho Marx
xes out for mail
news Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with

Old February 23rd 04, 05:06 AM
Scott Lindner

I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What if
I used a USB to serial adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online
and even the serial devices are very expensive.

Scott

Old February 23rd 04, 10:19 PM
Swanger

"Scott Lindner" wrote in message
I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What

if
I used a USB to serial adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online
and even the serial devices are very expensive.

Speaking of PC Coach. I just down transfered, from my MS-XP computer,
around two years of workout data onto a CD-R. I then ran the same CD in
my MS-98 lap top,,,and nothing. I see the calendar but there are no
workouts showing. I take the same CD back over to my XP computer and the
workouts are there. Maybe I should transfer by email?

Rick Swanger

Old February 24th 04, 01:29 AM
mark

Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you would
save with your interface adapter.
I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter would
correctly translate the data being transferred.