Running in 90 Degrees

Old June 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
Wim Colgate

Default Running in 90 Degrees

"Timote" wrote in message

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

-of course, hydrate the day and days before the race.
-bring water in your transition bag for pre- swim
-use an electrolyte solution on the bike
-grab the electrolyte solution or water at every aid station ( you may

want to
- another good trick- if they have ice @ the aid stations, take a scoop

( or
two) and put it in your hat- this helps cool down your core temp

I'd suggest ice going in the shorts -- cools the femoral artery blood --
while cold water/ice on open skin can actually make surface blood vessels
contract leading to overheating!

Salt tablet and plenty of fluid -- in really hot/humid conditions, I put one
under my tongue, and when it completely disolved, I put in another...
repeat.

Wim

Old June 3rd 04, 01:14 AM
Ironic

Thanks for all of your ideas. I don't usually run with a hat, but I
guess that is going to help. I like the ice in the hat idea. They have
water and Gatorade at each mile, so they must have ice. I am good
about taking Edurolytes, and I don't come off the bike desperate for
water--I work at staying hydrated. I will have some work to do to
convince myself to back off on the bike--that is the best of my three
disciplines.

Were you expecting Ironman Canada to be that hot, or was it
"unseasonably warm"?

My friend says you take your triathlons as you find them, i.e. they
are whatever they are, and everybody has the same conditions.

Mike Tennent wrote in message . ..
(Ironic) wrote:

Any tips on running in 90+ degree weather? There is a Half-Iron in
Macon Georgia June 13, and the temps are expected to be over 90. The
swim and bike are survivable, but the run is going to be a hard
effort.

Greg

I've survived a couple of very hot IM's, including '98 IM Canada (105
F) and offer this:

You need to accept the fact that you have to go slower, you will get
dehydrated no matter what you do, and that you have to deal with that.

So.... ease back a notch on the BIKE.

That's right, the bike. Lots of folks cook themselves pushing the bike
like they normally do, build up to a fine state of dehydration, and
then cramp/bonk big time on the run. Chances are, going a little
slower on the bike will result in a faster overall race.

Drink constantly on the bike, get the electrolytes and sodium in
(Pringles are great) and stay well within your limits.

Good luck,

Mike Tennent
"IronPenguin"

Old June 3rd 04, 02:18 AM
Susan in LA

I'd suggest ice going in the shorts -- cools the femoral artery blood --

This is what I was going to suggest.....works even better if you are wearing
a trisuit of some sort.

Susan

Old June 3rd 04, 04:24 AM
Ironic

"Carlton Whitmore" wrote in message ...
Greg,
I just finished my first triathlon so I don't have a lot of experience, but
I've lived in Texas for 30 years and know what you're talking about.
This past Monday it made it to 100 degrees so I was dehydrated before the
race started. That was after drinking a 32oz bottle of Gatorade.
I think one of the posts suggested running during lunch, but I would also
try eating / drinking the same things you'll have in the race during those
runs. I held a GU in my hand during the entire run portion of the race
because I hadn't trained during the heat of the day and didn't know how the
GU was going to affect my stomach.
At the aid stations I grabbed one water cup and one Gatorade cup. While I
was drinking the Gatorade I splashed the water over my head.
my two cents,
Carlton.

"Ironic" wrote in message

Thanks for all of your ideas. Ice in the shorts???
I just read something I thought I would pass on also. It came from the
people who are putting on the event. It said "AVOID GUT SHUTDOWN", and
went on to say that in hot weather, if you take in too much simple
sugars, you change the "osmolarity" of your stomach contents, which
reduces your stomach's ability to process water, edurolytes, and
carbohydrates, etc. through the stomach wall and into your system.
Apparently they are supporting something called Amino Vital, which is
the "Official Drink of USAT". The angle being that they have fewer
simple sugars than Gatorade and much less than, for example, fruit
juice.

I previously posted something thanking everyone for their ideas, but I
don't see it up here.

om...

Old June 5th 04, 02:19 AM
Sam

One needs to do this for 10 to 14 days to get fully acclimatized.

The runs also need to be around 90 minutes.

"BBB" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s02...
One thing that helps me is to do some of your training in the same types

of
temperatures (run at lunch if possible). That helps me acclimate to the
temperature and humidity.

BBB