Caffeine

Old June 5th 04, 02:27 AM
Sam

Default Caffeine

Find PubMed on the web and search for caffeine. More information than you
want to know.

Caffeine works for some people and not for others. Caffeine is not as bad a
diuretic as once thought especially during exercise since blood flow to the
kidney is reduced during exercise.

Caffeine does not spare glycogen during exercise. It only increases fat
oxidation at rest (and not all that much).

"rod richeson" wrote in message
I have read several studies in the last 2 years saying that caffeine's
diuretic properties do not apply to people during excersize. I don't
think the studies were paid for by the caffeine industry, but YMMV.
Most caffeine studies were done on sedentary people, which I think most
studies are unless it is an excersize related study. I use and
recommend abstinance for a minimum of 7 days before key events, then
Vivarin, I don't have the dosage numbers here at work, 1-2 hours before
an event that will exceed 2 hours. I don't recommend utilizing for
events under 2 hours, but people certainly do.

That's a nickel worth of free advice...

Rod
WestSide Performance Multi-Sports
USAT Level I certified coach

Susan in LA wrote:
I've always been a big believer in caffeine, coffee before races, gel
w/caffiene, cola during long races, but recently a cyclist friend who is

fairly serious racer told me I should get off the caffeine althogether
because the dehydration effects outweigh the energy-boosting effects.

Any
thoughts?

Susan

Old June 5th 04, 03:29 AM
IMKen

By the time I get half way through the marathon I KNOW I am on FOOT but wish
I were on horseback.

Ken DaVico

"PMcDC" wrote in message
i use gels with and without caffeine and both work. i hope i get a

little
more oomph from the latter, but can't say i've really noticed it. i do

space
gels (all food, actually) so that there's a steady stream coming in. for

me,
this has meant no periods of being hungry, much less running out of gas.
in IMs, if they have it, i take in defizzed coke anytime after the

half way
mark of the run. who knows if it works or the sugar works. by that

time,
for me, i barely know if i'm on foot or horseback.
peggy

Old June 5th 04, 03:54 PM
Williamsdrew

"Ironic" wrote in message
om...
My training partner and I have noticed more of an immediate boost from
GU than Hammergel, most noticeably when running. GU, it appears from
the label, has caffeine, while Hammergel does not (I suspect it is
left out of Hammergel because it can have a tendency to cause
dehydration?) Anyway, my question is have any of you had experience
with caffeine pills, like NoDoze, Vivarin or store brand "stay Awake"
pills in connection with triathlon, and if so, what are your thoughts,
comments, cautions or railings? This is something I have not seen
discussed anywhere yet, except for a discussion that said it causes
dehydration and that cutting out coffee two weeks out (and getting
through the withdrawal headaches) should be part of your taper.

Thanks

Caffeine is not a strong diuretic, and during exercise it will not cause
dehydration. For a while, it was thought to increase fat metabolism. But
after lots of studies, that's been pretty much debunked. It can *slightly*
increase fat useage at rest. Caffeine from coffee, however, will not
produce this substrate shift.

I've never experimented with pilIs but I love coffee. It's a nice boost
late in a long run or ride. Coffee taste wonderful. In moderation, it's
not bad for you, and the caffeine is a nice stimulant to central nervous
system.

I don't cut my consumption during taper. For IM's, I freeze a 22 oz water
bottle full of coffee with 4 servings of "plain" Hammergel and put it in my
run bag. That's all I drink for the first hour & 20 minutes of the run.
It's a great pick-me-up, it tastes delicious. No problems with hydration.
If your worried about hydration, just make sure you drink 16-26 oz /hour of
fluid (water, coffee, gatorade, sustain, coke, whatever), and supplement
with electolytes.

Old June 6th 04, 02:31 AM
Ironic

I went ahead and tried caffeine today (200mg tablets). I won't do it
again, at least not in the heat. Here is how it went: Did a 1.6mile
swim; took one 200mg tablet then biked 25 miles, on a flat course (the
terrain is flat and I got a flat), heart rate seemed a little higher
than normal, but I didn;t seem to be noticeably faster than usual, but
generall, no problem; took another 200mg tablet; Set out on a 6 mile
run in the Florida sun at 86degrees, 73% dewpoint, 57% humidity;
Stopped to drink water at two and three mile point, and it seemed like
my heart didn;t realize I had stopped--it was very slow to recover, it
was a little scary, actually; Decided it was time to go home and abort
the 6mile run (unusual common sense for me). Ran the mile back home,
heart did not want to recover again. Happy to be done. Have felt
spacey the rest of the day. Metabolism high. Did not stop sweating for
several hours. 54 year old male. Want to be 55 some day. Last week I
did a 56 mile ride at a place called Clermont, known for its rolling
hills, and a number that get you out of the saddle, and a few that
test your tolerance for pain--lowest gear, and near a track stand.
Temperature 90+. Followed up with a 5K run, with none of these same
physical symptoms. Each week I run about 25 miles, bike 125, swim 3-4
miles, so I am in OK condition for a MOPAG (middle of pack age
grouper). Just sharing my experience.

Old June 6th 04, 08:59 PM
Ironic

Harold--On Dosage--I didn't just take a shot in the dark. I read a
couple of things that said 5mg per 2.2kg of body weight. I am 184/2.2
* 5 = 418. So I broke 200 and about an hour and 1/2 later took another
200.

Greg

Old June 7th 04, 06:03 PM
Ray Plotecia

One year I quit drinking coffee on January 1. I am a confirmed coffee
addict. I even got my kid a job at Starbucks so I could get some perks.

My intention was to stay on the wagon until my first race and then drink two
cups the morning of the race. I stayed off the stuff for 6 months, survived
the headaches and showed up at the Blackwater Eagleman armed with two large
coffees.

I did have to pee a lot, but I noticed no difference in my racing.

Don't try this at home. Ask your doctor. Results may vary.

Ray
"Ironic" wrote in message
om...
My training partner and I have noticed more of an immediate boost from
GU than Hammergel, most noticeably when running. GU, it appears from
the label, has caffeine, while Hammergel does not (I suspect it is
left out of Hammergel because it can have a tendency to cause
dehydration?) Anyway, my question is have any of you had experience
with caffeine pills, like NoDoze, Vivarin or store brand "stay Awake"
pills in connection with triathlon, and if so, what are your thoughts,
comments, cautions or railings? This is something I have not seen
discussed anywhere yet, except for a discussion that said it causes
dehydration and that cutting out coffee two weeks out (and getting
through the withdrawal headaches) should be part of your taper.

Thanks

pre-workout caffeine reduces muscle pain bc Weights 1 February 10th 04 04:10 AM
Caffine and the lack of caffeine, how bad is this "drug". Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 8 January 23rd 04 11:06 PM
Creatine and caffeine - does it negate the effect? Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Weights 23 January 23rd 04 07:36 AM
Caffeine Levels Hoff Weights 46 November 2nd 03 09:10 AM
Aaargghh! Conflicting caffeine!! Jezz Weights 3 August 26th 03 02:30 PM