treadmill + elliptical or rowing machine???

Old November 27th 03, 01:27 AM
Amy Fong

Default treadmill + elliptical or rowing machine???

Hi,

I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

Thanks!
Old November 27th 03, 03:12 AM
B. Peg

"Amy Fong" wrote:
I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

My PT told me more people tend to stay with the elliptical than most other
machines. Unfortunately, some of the better ones ($2000) will cause you to
get quiet close to the ceiling due to their height and the heat up there can
overheat you in short order. She wasn't in favor of the rowing machines as
she said she's gotten people in with lower back injuries from them.

BP~

Old November 27th 03, 04:19 AM
Isiafs5

Amy Fong
I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

For me this is a no brainer: rowing machine. From the view of a total body
workout, the treadmill/rowing machine would be superior to the
treadmill/ellipitical redundancy.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old November 29th 03, 04:13 PM
Steve Freides

"Amy Fong" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

It's easiest to do nothing at all.

If you learn how to take care of your joints and how to exercise with good
technique, you can use any of these machines safely and with good results.
If you learn how to strength train as a separate item from aerobic training,
you will likely benefit in many ways. I see so many people with big bellies
spending an hour a day on a treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical trainer - such
training does not seem to help them.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 29th 03, 05:27 PM
Steve Freides

"Rita" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:13:06 -0500, "Steve Freides"

wrote:

"Amy Fong" wrote in message
[...]

I would never knock aerobic exercise, but weight training reduced
fat and flab for me rather remarkably. I think a combo of some type
of aerobic exercise (but not necessarily an hour a day) and weight
training works best. The aerobic exercise benefits the heart and
that is the chief reason to do it. Do some weight training, with the
compound exercises, on a regular basis and you will see results.
If fat remains, then fewer calories is the only remaining answer.

I don't like to 'knock aerobic exercise', either, and once I started
strength training a few years ago I still kept up a fair amount of running,
swimming, and bicycling. But within the last year or two I've discovered
combined strength/endurance training and that seems to work both for me. I
still weight lift, I do strength/endurance training with kettlebells (my
site has more info), and I only rarely swim, bike, or run - generally a once
a week swim of 400-800 yards, a run once every few weeks, and bike ride once
every few weeks, this in contrast to my former schedule that includes
4-5x/week running and 2-3x/week biking and swimming.

You'd think that getting rid of the aerobic exercise would, at the very
least, cause my resting pulse to rise but it hasn't - it's still in the
mid-40's. I figure that keeping my resting pulse at or below my age is good
enough for me. Resting pulse is one of the classic indicators of aerobic
conditioning.

Steve "48 years young" Freides
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 29th 03, 06:27 PM
Steve Freides

"Rita" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:27:50 -0500, "Steve Freides"

wrote:

[...]

Well, Steve, your strength/endurance program is far advanced from my
weight lifting. I'm almost age 74 and I need the aerobic exercise -- to

keep
my body moving. I just do fast walking because I discovered trying to run
caused me some leg/ankle injuries which I don't need. My doc recommends
30 minutes of fast walking per day for blood pressure. I have to balance
not pushing myself beyond what my body will tolerate and still getting
necessary exercise. Weight lifting has been immensely valuable to me --
helps bone density, strength, and all that good stuf one loses in aging.
But the walking seems to me absolutely a necessity also. So I go for
daily brisk 30-45 minute walks, as I can't tolerate that amount of time on
a treadmill. There really is no downside to brisk walking.

I agree there's no real downside to brisk walking - I think it's very good
for you and enjoy a nice walk myself as often as I can. I'm fortunate to
live near the downtown area of a small (25,000 people or so) town and try to
walk or bike whenever I can to the bank, the grocery store, the YMCA, the
post office, etc.

You might enjoy hearing about the person known as "Andy70" on the DragonDoor
discussion site. He's 70 years old, has been setting all sorts of age-group
records for the last few years, and I'm proud to say he authored part of
this article on my site:

http://www.kbnj.com/ManyUsesOfKettlebells.html#Andy

I have a feeling you're capable of more than you're now doing. I'm not
trying to be pushy but you might want to poke around my site and the
DragonDoor site and pickup "Power To The People!" for yourself and/or invest
in a small kettlebell. I've been teaching all ages and sizes and have yet
to find someone who can't do it.

Best.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old November 30th 03, 06:01 AM

wrote:

"Amy Fong" wrote in message
[...]

I think Rita's advice is best - stay with your treadmill and add strength
training - that will give you huge benefits for weight loss, boost
metabolism - add valuable muscle

Old December 1st 03, 05:07 AM
Amy Fong

"Amy Fong" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

It's easiest to do nothing at all.

If you learn how to take care of your joints and how to exercise with good
technique, you can use any of these machines safely and with good results.
If you learn how to strength train as a separate item from aerobic training,
you will likely benefit in many ways. I see so many people with big bellies
spending an hour a day on a treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical trainer - such
training does not seem to help them.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Many people say that it's not a good idea to do the same exercise
repeatedly - any thoughts?

Amy
Old December 3rd 03, 11:20 PM
Frank

"Steve Freides" wrote in message ...

It's easiest to do nothing at all.

If you learn how to take care of your joints and how to exercise with good
technique, you can use any of these machines safely and with good results.
If you learn how to strength train as a separate item from aerobic training,
you will likely benefit in many ways. I see so many people with big bellies
spending an hour a day on a treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical trainer - such
training does not seem to help them.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Obviously "people with big bellies" could stand to lose some weight,
but to say that an hour's worth of cardiovascular work a day is not
helping them seems a little negative.
Old December 5th 03, 02:16 AM

A rowing machine can produce an excellent workout. But if you have knee
or back problems, it would be best to consult with someone who is
familiar with this type of exercise before you try it. It may not be for
you.

Of all aerobic exercises, rowing is probably the most technique
sensitive. Proper form is very important if you want to get the most
benefit from a rowing machine. Poor technique can create back and/or leg
problems when there were none before. Before you use a rowing machine,
be sure to have an expert teach you the correct technique.