Power Plates?

Old August 29th 03, 02:23 PM

Default Power Plates?

One morning recently as I was praying to the deity in charge of
senescence, an unearthly light emanated from a particular unopened
envelope on my kitchen table. With trembling (one might say
"palsied") hands, I opened it and unfolded the latest issue of
ALTERNATIVES featuring an article about Power Plates.
If you agree that Power Plates are the most wonderful thing since
PCB-free salmon, please lend me lots of money (at an interest rate
that seems fair to you) so that I can use modern Russian science to
resist the ravages of advancing age.

************************************************** **********************************

From:
ALTERNATIVES, September 2003, Vol 10, No. 3
Author: Dr. David Williams drdavidwilliams.com

Good Vibrations

On a couple of occasions I've reported on the Russians' study
of mechanical vibration to treat a variety of museuloskeletal
problems. Their early experiments were performed on military personnel
and Olympic athletes. Much of their research was unpublished, but over
the last ten or twelve years, additional studies in Europe and the
U.S. have begun to show that vibratory stimulation can have a profound
effect not only on the musculoskeletal system, but on circulation and
hormone levels as well.

Most of the research has been conducted using a mechanical
vibrating plate upon which an individual stands. When the plate is
adjusted to the right frequency, just standing on it will cause thc
body's postufa[ muscles to contract anywhere from 30 to 50 times a
second. As the body ever so slightly shifts back and forth, the
muscles must contract and relax with each shift. In just eight to ten
minutes, an individual can complete a full "workout." Doing this three
times a week can lead to dramatic results. (Studies have shown that
using the vibrating plate more than three times a week didn't provide
any additional benefits.)

In just ten minutes, several things begin to occur. The muscles
get a tremendous workout, resulting in increased strength, stability,
and tone. Blood flow increases throughout the body. Joints become
stronger yet more flexible. Studies have also shown that levels of the
"stress hormone" cortisol decrease, while levels of other hormones,
such as growth hormone and testosterone, which are important for
regeneration and repair processes, actually inerease. (Eur J Appl
Physiol 00;81:449-454)

Moreover, vibratory stimulation can help alleviate acute and
chronic pain. In one study of 731 patients, all of whom had tried all
types of pain-relieving medications and therapies without success, 82
percent experienced at least some degree of relief using vibratory
stimulation.

When I first reported on mechanical vibration machines, no one
was producing these devices for sale in the U.S. Now, a very
high-quality machine, the Power Plate, is available.

Whole-body vibration therapy, as it's now called, can be and
is being used by everyone - from professional athletes to frail,
osteoporotic individuals. The reports I've received are remarkable.
Dozens of professional football, baseball, basketball, and hockey
training facilities now have the Power Plate, including the New York
Mets, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago Cubs. University athletic
departments, martial artists, and the military have found that, in
addition to increasing strength and agility, vibration therapy can
reduce sports injuries, speed rehabilitation, and shorten healing
time. A representative from the Power Plate company told me that
Shaquille O'Neal, Clint Eastwood, Julie Andrews, Don Johnson, and many
other athletes and actors have their own Power Plates.

Vibration therapy can be used by itself or along with weight
lifting and other musclestrengthening techniques. Vibration training
can increase muscle strength 20-30 percent more than conventional
strength training while cutting training time dramatically. There are
also a number of exercises that can be done on the machine. The
vibration effectively increases the force placed on muscle fibers by a
factor of 3 Gs, or three times the force of gravity.

This is one of the easiest ways I know that someone of any age or
condition can increase joint mobility, muscle strength, overall
circulation, bone strength and density, and overall fitness. When
combined with the right supplements and diet, it might be the ideal
tool to help combat osteoporosis, particularly in the elderly where
the use of weights and other active forms of exercise can put undue
strain on fragile joints and already weak bone structures.

If there's a downside to the Power Hate, it's cost. I hope you're
sitting down. It sells for $9,995. Normally I don't even mention items
this expensive. As you know, I like remedies that are inexpensive,
safe, and effective. The Power Plate meets two of these criteria. And
when it comes to reversing osteoporosis and increasing muscle strength
and overall stability, I don't know of anything besides weight lifting
that can achieve the same results. Unfortunately, weight lifting isn't
an option for some. But it couldn't get any easier than standing on a
vibrating platform for a few minutes, three times a week. ! guess if
you compare it to the cost and consequences of a hip fracture, then
the price doesn't seem so high.

There's another benefit that might also be of interest. Many
people are now using human growth hormone at a cost of hundreds of
dollars a month to help stop the effects of aging. A recent study
found that using whole-body vibration therapy increased growth hormone
levels by 361 percent. When you count it against the cost of these
hormone injections, the Power Plate would pay for itself in less than
a year. (J Applied Physio 00;81:449-454)

Power Plate North America has agreed to give Alternatives readers
a substantial discount, lowering the cost to $8,500. (Be sure to give
the reference code DW12MD.) For more information on the Power Plate,
or to see if there is a machine in your area, check their Web site at
www. powerplateusa.com. You can also write to Power Plate North
America, 5730 Uplander Way, Suite 110, Culver City, CA 90230, or call
toll-free 877-877-5283.

Old August 29th 03, 03:26 PM
Lee Michaels

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message

One morning recently as I was praying to the deity in charge
of senescence, an unearthly light emanated from a particular
unopened envelope on my kitchen table. With trembling (one
might say "palsied") hands, I opened it and unfolded the
latest issue of ALTERNATIVES featuring an article about
Power Plates. If you agree that Power Plates are the most
wonderful thing since PCB-free salmon, please lend me lots
of money (at an interest rate that seems fair to you) so
that I can use modern Russian science to resist the ravages
of advancing age.

Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work. I've contemplated designing my own vibration
platform, but haven't gotten around to it. The trick is to make
both the amplitude and frequency variable in a mechanically simple
and inexpensive manner. It would also help to have an EMG handy
to optimize the settings.

Vibration platform?? I feel a story coming on.

Many years ago, I built custom waterbeds. One customer wanted a vibrator
device attached to the bottom of the bed to create his own little vibrating
water massage experience. When he gave me the units, I was surprised and
informed him that he would have to pay more because these things would
destroy any normal bed. They were an industrial sized and strength
vibrators.

So I built the base extra strong and installed these devices. I did not hear
about it for some time. I ran into him on the street later and asked him
about it. He said it was a tremdous failure. I asked him to explain.

It turned out that the water massage experience was just fine. A little
noisy, but fun and theraputic. The problem was that these units essentialy
turned his house into a giant speaker. With the vibrator units as the
drivers. It created an incredible roar that drove all other people in the
house into a murderous rage directed at the owner of this fine custom
waterbed. After a couple of confrontations, he never used them again.

Oh well.

Old August 29th 03, 03:52 PM

Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work

What are power plates?

Anyone have a link to them?
Old August 29th 03, 04:34 PM
John HUDSON

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:13:03 GMT, "Art S"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work

What are power plates?

Anyone have a link to them?

Reread the original post for answers to both questions.

If you don't know Art, why bother to reply at all?

Art

Old August 29th 03, 06:40 PM
August Pamplona

wrote:

wrote in message

Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work

What are power plates?

Anyone have a link to them?

Reread the original post for answers to both questions.

If you don't know Art, why bother to reply at all?

If only you'd received the e-mail, you would have gotten the joke.
Oh well, it must suck to be you!

Art

August Pamplona
--
"No, jew. Your jew opinion doesn't matter no matter what, jew. Your
writings deserve no comprehension, merely scorn, jew. You are jew."

a.a. # 1811 apatriot #20 Eater of smut
To email replace 'necatoramericanusancylostomaduodenale' with
'cosmicaug'

Old August 29th 03, 06:57 PM
omegazero2003

"August Pamplona" wrote in
message .net...
wrote:

wrote in message

Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work

What are power plates?

Anyone have a link to them?

Reread the original post for answers to both questions.

If you don't know Art, why bother to reply at all?

If only you'd received the e-mail, you would have gotten the joke.
Oh well, it must suck to be you!

That is what his wife keeps saying to him.

Old August 29th 03, 08:37 PM
John HUDSON

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:40:07 GMT, "August Pamplona"
wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:13:03 GMT, "Art S"
wrote:

wrote in message

.. .
Although this particular device is outrageously priced, this is
known to work

What are power plates?

Anyone have a link to them?

Reread the original post for answers to both questions.

If you don't know Art, why bother to reply at all?

If only you'd received the e-mail, you would have gotten the joke.
Oh well, it must suck to be you!

See! I told you there was an email conspiracy! ;o)

And yes August, it really "sucks to be me!!" ;o((

Art

August Pamplona

Old August 29th 03, 10:34 PM
Lee Michaels

http://www.powerplateusa.com/

This is the URL. They don't seem to have any products though.

Old August 29th 03, 11:02 PM
Lyle McDonald

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message

One morning recently as I was praying to the deity in charge of
senescence, an unearthly light emanated from a particular unopened
envelope on my kitchen table. With trembling (one might say
"palsied") hands, I opened it and unfolded the latest issue of
ALTERNATIVES featuring an article about Power Plates.
If you agree that Power Plates are the most wonderful thing since
PCB-free salmon, please lend me lots of money (at an interest rate
that seems fair to you) so that I can use modern Russian science to
resist the ravages of advancing age.

Since I haven't posted anything crass today:

"I wonder if women get a localized effect from their own vibratory

devices."

Only if they use the origianal, platform style power plate. We, of course,
are talking about the reknown SYBIAN!!

http://www.sybian.com/sybianindex.htm

If so, what?
Also, anybody know what the **** the mechanism is on this?

I know that the folks in asia have used a device similar to this for
accupressure. It is supposed to have rejuvenating powers.

http://www.schoolofcompleteyoga.com/accuciser/

"The vibration of the plate offers a deep massage and the body’s
physical energy is activated. This spiral-like energy, aided by the
infrared heat, moves up, through and around the entire body."

Ahh, of course, it's the spiral-like energy.

Lyle
how could I be so stupid?
Old August 30th 03, 12:15 AM
Wayne S. Hill

Lyle McDonald wrote:

Also, anybody know what the **** the mechanism is on this?

The vibration is slower than the nerves' response rate, but
faster than the muscles' ability to respond. The net result is
that the muscles work like hell just to stand there. It mostly
works the muscles involved in standing (duh), but hits just
about all of them (calves, quads and hamstrings, glutes,
erectors, ...). You need to stand with your knees flexed
somewhat to avoid the ball-peen-hammer effect, and the amplitude
and frequency need to be chosen appropriately, blah-blah-blah.
A typical "workout" is 5 minutes or so, IIRC, but I'm not clear
on the details.

--
-Wayne