TR - Munros - Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and Sgurr Fiona

Old July 6th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Lindsay

Default TR - Munros - Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and Sgurr Fiona

Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and Sgurr Fiona are the two Munros of An Teallach
and can be combined with an ascent of the Pinnacles but my client just
wished to ascend these two Munros by the easiest route.

Visibility on driving north to Dundonnell was very poor and on reaching
the lay-by at the Mountain Rescue Post the cloud base was almost down
to sea level. I located the start of the path and followed it uphill.

The path deviated from that shown on the map and reached a stream which
it crossed before heading into the corrie and towards Sron a'Choire.
Visibility was still poor as I navigated our way to the summit of
Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill. Despite the cloud it was fairly humid and
while on the summit we had a very brief glimpse of Sgurr Fiona before
the thick mist returned.

We descended by the south ridge of Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and climbed
Sgurr Fiona before returning to Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill. We met a few
other walkers on this section of the walk and on a couple of occasions
it appeared that it may brighten up but it didn't happen and we were
still in the cloud.

From the summit of Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill I navigated to the path marked

on the map and followed it to Meall Garbh where the cloud started to
break up and for the first time since we had set out we saw where we
were going. The path, which seemed less used than the morning path,
was in poor condition with several worn and gouged sections slowing our
descent back to the start of the day's walk.

Due to the poor visibility only a few photographs were taken. They
can be viewed at:
http://www.caledoniahilltreks.com/ga...ly06/index.htm

Stats can as usual be found at:
http://caledoniahilltreks.blogspot.com

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Old July 7th 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Theo

"Lindsay" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and Sgurr Fiona are the two Munros of An Teallach
and can be combined with an ascent of the Pinnacles but my client just
wished to ascend these two Munros by the easiest route.

snip
The path deviated from that shown on the map and reached a stream which
it crossed before heading into the corrie and towards Sron a'Choire.

I was there last May and did the whole ridge.
My gps said we /lost/ the path shown on the map at the 280m contourline.
IIRC there were some slabs/rocky ground where there was no path visible.

--
"Beannachd leibh"

Theo
www.theosphotos.fotopic.net