Power Cage vs Half Cage

Old January 4th 04, 09:00 AM
Top Spin

Default Power Cage vs Half Cage

What are the main disadvantages of getting a "half cage" rather than a
"power cage"?

One of the lines I am looking at is Tuff Stuff in Pomona, CA. There is
a local dealer. In this line, they can be seen at

http://www.tuffstuff.net/welcome/ret...uip/index.html.

Click on TPR-265 Power Rack/Cage (top photo) and THC-445WS Half Cage
Ensemble (bottom photo).

From what I can see, the main tradeoffs a

1. Safety.

The power cage is probably safer. You are inside a cage so there's
really no place for the bar to go other than onto the safety bars.
With the half cage, the safety bars protrude out from the front and
are maybe 12" wide.

But how much of a problem is this? Isn't safety mainly a factor with
squats and presses? I've never really squatted "heavy" so I'm not sure
where the risks are. With either product, I would set the safety bars
at my lowest squat level and just rest the bar on them if I couldn't
wouldn't the half cage even be a bit safer as I would be falling into
the front of the cage and almost impossible to tip over?

For presses, they seem about equal. I set the safety bars above my
head/neck so I can set the bar on them and wiggle out.

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

Are there any exercises that are more difficult or more dangerous on a
half cage than a power rack? Presses, squats, curls, shrugs, tow
raises?

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Old January 4th 04, 05:41 PM
Bob Mann

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:00:23 -0800, Top Spin
wrote:
[...]

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat and
drink beer all day.
Old January 4th 04, 05:47 PM
Bob Mann

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:00:23 -0800, Top Spin
wrote:

Ooops.

1. Safety.

The power cage is probably safer. You are inside a cage so there's
really no place for the bar to go other than onto the safety bars.
With the half cage, the safety bars protrude out from the front and
are maybe 12" wide.

But how much of a problem is this? Isn't safety mainly a factor with
squats and presses? I've never really squatted "heavy" so I'm not sure
where the risks are. With either product, I would set the safety bars
at my lowest squat level and just rest the bar on them if I couldn't
wouldn't the half cage even be a bit safer as I would be falling into
the front of the cage and almost impossible to tip over?

I have lost my balance and fallen. Both forwards and backwards.
I considered the half cage type and now I'm glad I went with the full
cage.

For presses, they seem about equal. I set the safety bars above my
head/neck so I can set the bar on them and wiggle out.

Pressing shouldn't be a problem

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

I think you mean the half cages. If not then there really is no
question at all.
Get the full cage.

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

Find a different full cage. Many have the same available attachments.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

Buy a pair of cheap weight trees. On the half cage, the weights end up
behind the bar. Having the weights in front of the bar is much more
convenient.

Are there any exercises that are more difficult or more dangerous on a
half cage than a power rack? Presses, squats, curls, shrugs, tow
raises?

Curls? Dangerous? Maybe you aren't ready for this yet. ;-)

Seriously, the squats is the main exercise that is more dangerous with
a half cage. If you are sure you will never lose your balance then
save a few bucks but I would go with the full cage.
You can set more weight on the safety as well and do rack pulls, rack
squats etc with more weight in a safer environment.

Old January 4th 04, 07:06 PM
Top Spin

wrote:

[...]

Which brand/model do you have?

For presses, they seem about equal. I set the safety bars above my
head/neck so I can set the bar on them and wiggle out.

Pressing shouldn't be a problem

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

I think you mean the half cages. If not then there really is no
question at all. Get the full cage.

It's kinda hard to tell because they show the half cages all loaded up
with attachments, but in the lines I looked at, I thought the full
cages were slightly cheaper than the half cages. But the difrference
is slight.

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

Find a different full cage. Many have the same available attachments.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

Buy a pair of cheap weight trees.

Sure. I was just trying to save space. My wife is letting me put this
rig in a spare bedroom and it's not that large. It also seemed like it
would add stability to the frame.

On the half cage, the weights end up
behind the bar. Having the weights in front of the bar is much more
convenient.

Not sure I know what you mean. Even if I got a weight tree, I would
probably store it against the wall near the back of the rack.

Are there any exercises that are more difficult or more dangerous on a
half cage than a power rack? Presses, squats, curls, shrugs, tow
raises?

Curls? Dangerous? Maybe you aren't ready for this yet. ;-)

You may well be right, but I was asking about both safety and
awkwardness. I was thinking it might be a bit cramped inside the cage
doing curls. I'm 6'3".

Seriously, the squats is the main exercise that is more dangerous with
a half cage. If you are sure you will never lose your balance then
save a few bucks but I would go with the full cage.

I'm not using much weight right now and I'm only using dumbells, so I
really have no idea whether balance and tipping over will be a problem
when I'm using a bar and when I get to higher weight. I'm not planning
on going to failure most of the time.

I would think that falling backwards would be more of a concern than
forward. Yet, the photos of the half cages show the guy facing the
cage. I would be inclined to face out so that if I lost balance, I
would fall into the front of the cage. Is that wrong?

You can set more weight on the safety as well and do rack pulls, rack
squats etc with more weight in a safer environment.

What's a rack pull? Is that with the lat pulldown attachment? Wouldn't
that be the same in either a cage or half cage?

What's a rack squat? Is that different from a squat inside a cage? Or
are you distinguishing between one done inside a full cage and one
done in front of a half cage?

Thanks

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Old January 4th 04, 07:58 PM
Jeff Finlayson

Top Spin wrote:

What are the main disadvantages of getting a "half cage" rather than a
"power cage"?

One of the lines I am looking at is Tuff Stuff in Pomona, CA. There is
a local dealer. In this line, they can be seen at
http://www.tuffstuff.net/welcome/ret...uip/index.html.

Click on TPR-265 Power Rack/Cage (top photo) and THC-445WS Half Cage
Ensemble (bottom photo).

Also, there the TSS-160. It has plate holder but no attachments.

From what I can see, the main tradeoffs a

My comments below are for general trade-offs and not just between the
tuff stuff models.

1. Safety.

The power cage is probably safer. You are inside a cage so there's
really no place for the bar to go other than onto the safety bars.
With the half cage, the safety bars protrude out from the front and
are maybe 12" wide.

True. Squat type exercises are the only exercises that might need
the rear frame members of the cage to prevent backwards falls. It would
be a good idea to secure the cage to the floor or counterbalance it with
weights on plate holders to prevent tipping on a backward fall.

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

Not for similar quality cages and racks. The cage should cost more since
there's more metal and more labor involved.

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

Maybe for a cage and rack that cost the same, but there are cages with
the same or more attachments as racks.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

True. There are plenty of cages that have this option as well.

Jeff out ...

Old January 4th 04, 08:16 PM
Top Spin

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:58:17 -0600, Jeff Finlayson
wrote:

Top Spin wrote:

What are the main disadvantages of getting a "half cage" rather than a
"power cage"?

One of the lines I am looking at is Tuff Stuff in Pomona, CA. There is
a local dealer. In this line, they can be seen at
http://www.tuffstuff.net/welcome/ret...uip/index.html.

Click on TPR-265 Power Rack/Cage (top photo) and THC-445WS Half Cage
Ensemble (bottom photo).

Also, there the TSS-160. It has plate holder but no attachments.

Right. It would also take up less space. However, I think I would like
to have the option of adding the pulldown attachment.

From what I can see, the main tradeoffs a

My comments below are for general trade-offs and not just between the
tuff stuff models.

1. Safety.

The power cage is probably safer. You are inside a cage so there's
really no place for the bar to go other than onto the safety bars.
With the half cage, the safety bars protrude out from the front and
are maybe 12" wide.

True. Squat type exercises are the only exercises that might need
the rear frame members of the cage to prevent backwards falls. It would
be a good idea to secure the cage to the floor or counterbalance it with
weights on plate holders to prevent tipping on a backward fall.

Using the half-cage (is this what you are calling a "rack"?), would
you face into or out of the rack for squats?

Wouldn't a rack be more stable for falls into the front than a cage
for falls into the back of the inside?

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

Not for similar quality cages and racks. The cage should cost more since
there's more metal and more labor involved.

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

Maybe for a cage and rack that cost the same, but there are cages with
the same or more attachments as racks.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

True. There are plenty of cages that have this option as well.

OK. I'll just have to do more research.

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Old January 4th 04, 09:05 PM
Jeff Finlayson

Top Spin wrote:
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
Top Spin wrote:

What are the main disadvantages of getting a "half cage" rather than a
"power cage"?

One of the lines I am looking at is Tuff Stuff in Pomona, CA. There is
a local dealer. In this line, they can be seen at
http://www.tuffstuff.net/welcome/ret...uip/index.html.

Click on TPR-265 Power Rack/Cage (top photo) and THC-445WS Half Cage
Ensemble (bottom photo).

Also, there the TSS-160. It has plate holder but no attachments.

Right. It would also take up less space. However, I think I would like
to have the option of adding the pulldown attachment.

-- I figured, just thought I'd mention it.

Using the half-cage (is this what you are calling a "rack"?), would
you face into or out of the rack for squats?

-- Facing the rack (or half cage). I'm too use to that way to change.

Wouldn't a rack be more stable for falls into the front than a cage
for falls into the back of the inside?

-- Probably so if the cage is bolted down. But one could fall either way.

Jeff out ...
Old January 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Jeff Finlayson

Top Spin wrote:
Jeff Finlayson wrote:
Top Spin wrote:

[...]

-- Probably so if the cage is not bolted down. But one could fall either way.

Jeff out ...
Old January 5th 04, 01:12 AM
Bob Mann

wrote:

[...]

I have a Powertec.

For presses, they seem about equal. I set the safety bars above my
head/neck so I can set the bar on them and wiggle out.

Pressing shouldn't be a problem

2. Cost.

The power cages are slightly cheaper

I think you mean the half cages. If not then there really is no
question at all. Get the full cage.

It's kinda hard to tell because they show the half cages all loaded up
with attachments, but in the lines I looked at, I thought the full
cages were slightly cheaper than the half cages. But the difrference
is slight.

You can get the half cages without all the add ons and they are
cheaper. If you could load up the full cage they would top out a bit
higher.
I would prefer to have separate pieces but the Powertec one I have
does come with an optional pulley system.

3. Versatility.

There are more attachments for the half cage.

Find a different full cage. Many have the same available attachments.

4. Plate holders.

The half cages generally have plate holders because the back verticals
don't have any adjustable lift-offs or safety bars. I like this option
as it saves space and makes the thing more stable.

Buy a pair of cheap weight trees.

Sure. I was just trying to save space. My wife is letting me put this
rig in a spare bedroom and it's not that large. It also seemed like it
would add stability to the frame.

On the half cage, the weights end up
behind the bar. Having the weights in front of the bar is much more
convenient.

Not sure I know what you mean. Even if I got a weight tree, I would
probably store it against the wall near the back of the rack.

I have mine in front where I can more easily reach the weights I don't
have much space either.

Are there any exercises that are more difficult or more dangerous on a
half cage than a power rack? Presses, squats, curls, shrugs, tow
raises?

Curls? Dangerous? Maybe you aren't ready for this yet. ;-)

You may well be right, but I was asking about both safety and
awkwardness. I was thinking it might be a bit cramped inside the cage
doing curls. I'm 6'3".

Nah, no problem.

Seriously, the squats is the main exercise that is more dangerous with
a half cage. If you are sure you will never lose your balance then
save a few bucks but I would go with the full cage.

I'm not using much weight right now and I'm only using dumbells, so I
really have no idea whether balance and tipping over will be a problem
when I'm using a bar and when I get to higher weight. I'm not planning
on going to failure most of the time.

I would think that falling backwards would be more of a concern than
forward. Yet, the photos of the half cages show the guy facing the
cage. I would be inclined to face out so that if I lost balance, I
would fall into the front of the cage. Is that wrong?

Fall whichever way the cage is although you don't always have a
choice.

You can set more weight on the safety as well and do rack pulls, rack
squats etc with more weight in a safer environment.

What's a rack pull? Is that with the lat pulldown attachment? Wouldn't
that be the same in either a cage or half cage?

No, you do a deadlift off the spotter bars from around knee height.
Just an overload method. of deadlifting.

What's a rack squat? Is that different from a squat inside a cage? Or
are you distinguishing between one done inside a full cage and one
done in front of a half cage?

You put the spotter bars a bit below normal shoulder height and lift a
weight off them to full lock out. You can overload the squat movement
that way.
You can also walk out a squat off the pins and do a partial squat down
to the spotter bars with more weight than you could full squat.
I wouldn't try either with a half cage.
You can do the same thing for a bench press too called a rack press.

--
Bob Mann
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in a boat and
drink beer all day.

Volleyball workout advice The Fonz Weights 80 December 29th 03 04:59 AM
Power Cage or Rack mike0864 Weights 13 December 1st 03 04:05 PM
Vicodin Abusing No-Integrity Hypocrite ATP Weights 103 October 9th 03 06:51 PM
building a power cage? buddhabellybum Weights 9 September 26th 03 04:30 PM
Power Plates? [email protected] Weights 60 September 25th 03 02:36 AM