Using Heart Rate monitor...where should I have my heart rate

Old September 24th 03, 12:28 PM

Default Using Heart Rate monitor...where should I have my heart rate

Hi

I recently got a heart rate monitor and have a question. I went to
see a fitness instructor at the gym and he said it would be better to
do a work out on exercise machines really hard, about 80-85% of my max
heart rate. But then I read in most other places I should work out at
around 50%. The fitness instructor said that while I will not be
burning off as much fat during the workout, that afterwards my
metabolism will be higher after the workout so in the end I will be
burning more calories.
What is the go, should I be training at say 50-60% of my max heart
rate which dosent really wear me out in an hour, or should I train at
80-85%

My goal at the moment really is to loose weight,

Cheers

Tony
Old September 25th 03, 02:18 AM
Steve Freides

Neither. The so-called fat-burning zone is largely a myth, but it
exists at around 70%, not at 50%, and not at 85%.

The easiest way to tell if you're in this zone is the simple runner's
test - can you carry on a conversation? If you can, but not by a whole
lot, you're in the zone. If you can converse easily, you're below it,
and if you cannot talk, you're above it.

Working out at 50% is not good for much except using up calories, but
for me, that level of effort just makes me hungry and I end up gaining
weight. There is ample evidence to suggest that exercising above the
zone at least some of the time is a very good thing, and exercising at
90-100% for short bursts has also been proven to be effective.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com