A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Reducing Bodyfat



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old November 3rd 03, 04:18 AM
Chopper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"DRS" wrote in message
...
Chopper wrote in message
et
Weight training doesn't do much to affect fat reduction.

Are you absolutely, positively sure you don't want to reconsider
that last bit?


No I don't. Why don't you tell us what, and how , weights do
anything to reduce body fat.


Weight work increases lean muscle mass. Increased lean muscle mass

improves
your metabolic efficiency.


Proof? Any estimate as to amount?


Not to mention that the actual workout consumes
around 400 calories per hour.


I doubt if the average persons weights training consumes that much.


--

"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happened to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
Andreas Prilop




  #22  
Old November 3rd 03, 04:22 AM
Chopper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chopper" wrote
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?


Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.


But if your total caloric energy balance achieves the goal, why is it
necessary to "shift your diet toward low fat food"?


Most people's "total caloric energy balance" (this sounds like marketing
talk) is the problem. In the US we eat much more fat than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese.


What about the
fat-soluble nutrients, and the omega-3 fatty acids?


Is your point that these raise HDL, and are therefore good for you? "Good"
fat intake still promotes fat on the body.


2) cut back on overall calories
3) do exercise that uses up calories, various CV exercises
are good (running etc), one of the very best that is rarely
mentioned is hiking. A 5 hour hike, especially in
mountainous terrain uses up lots of calories.

Weight training doesn't do much to affect fat reduction.

Did you just make that up, or read it somewhere?


It's common sense.


Well, there you go. Argument winner, for sure.

David





  #23  
Old November 3rd 03, 04:23 AM
Chopper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chopper" wrote
"Chupacabra" wrote
"Chopper" wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Not necessarily.


Bull****. Fat has is dense in calories, American food has never been

more
fat rich, and America has never been fatter.


Fat people fart more than skinny people. Fat people are more prone to
obesity. Therefore, farting causes obesity.

Your turn in the Nonsense Logic for the Syllogistically Impaired
Contest.


Sure sure. I'll leave it to anybody reading this to figure out who is
impaired.




David
--
I we Todd did.
I sofa king we Todd did.




  #24  
Old November 3rd 03, 05:21 AM
Bob Garrison
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"Chopper" wrote in message
k.net...

"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chopper" wrote
"Chupacabra" wrote
"Chopper" wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Not necessarily.

Bull****. Fat has is dense in calories, American food has never been

more
fat rich, and America has never been fatter.


Fat people fart more than skinny people. Fat people are more prone to
obesity. Therefore, farting causes obesity.

Your turn in the Nonsense Logic for the Syllogistically Impaired
Contest.


Sure sure. I'll leave it to anybody reading this to figure out who is
impaired.


I figured it out. You are the one who is impaired.


  #25  
Old November 3rd 03, 06:22 AM
David Cohen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"Chopper" wrote
"David Cohen" wrote
"Chopper" wrote
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?

Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.


But if your total caloric energy balance achieves the goal, why is

it
necessary to "shift your diet toward low fat food"?


Most people's "total caloric energy balance" (this sounds like

marketing
talk)


Only to morons.

is the problem. In the US we eat much more fat than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese.


In the US, we play with frisbees much more than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese. Therefore, playing with
frisbees causes obesity.

You don't do too good with logic, huh?

What about the
fat-soluble nutrients, and the omega-3 fatty acids?


Is your point that these raise HDL, and are therefore good for you?

"Good"
fat intake still promotes fat on the body.


So, in your Moron Universe, we should forego the health-promoting and
life-extending benefits of proper fat intake because it "still
promotes fat on the body"?

Repeat five times fast:
I we Todd did.
I sofa king we Todd did.

David
--
"Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous"...Voltaire


  #26  
Old November 3rd 03, 06:54 AM
Aaron
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"Chopper" wrote in message
nk.net...

"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chopper" wrote
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?

Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.


But if your total caloric energy balance achieves the goal, why is it
necessary to "shift your diet toward low fat food"?


Most people's "total caloric energy balance" (this sounds like marketing
talk) is the problem. In the US we eat much more fat than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese.


no you dont, Std Us diet is around 33% total energy from fat, during
evolution it was higher than this (~40% or above depending on the
researcher) but it was a DIFFERENT fat (and total quantity could be
different as well - because percentages mean ****)

THe population is gettign fatter because they are eating more (energy) and
doing one ****ing site less (check out an aussie groups recent work of the
energy cost of doing dishes yourself, washing clothes yourself, climbing
stairs rather than lift/escilators)


What about the
fat-soluble nutrients, and the omega-3 fatty acids?


Is your point that these raise HDL, and are therefore good for you? "Good"
fat intake still promotes fat on the body.


no, excess calorie intake promotes fat on the body.

People who randomly go on a low fat diet do not change caloric intake, and
most dont take into the fact that the body needs (some place it around 15%)
fat becuase it transports fat soluble vitamins, and it tastes good (satiety
etc)




2) cut back on overall calories
3) do exercise that uses up calories, various CV exercises
are good (running etc), one of the very best that is rarely
mentioned is hiking. A 5 hour hike, especially in
mountainous terrain uses up lots of calories.

Weight training doesn't do much to affect fat reduction.

Did you just make that up, or read it somewhere?

It's common sense.


Well, there you go. Argument winner, for sure.

David







  #27  
Old November 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
Proton Soup
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:54:20 +1300, "Aaron" hunt354 at hotmail dot
com wrote:


"Chopper" wrote in message
ink.net...

"David Cohen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Chopper" wrote
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?

Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.

But if your total caloric energy balance achieves the goal, why is it
necessary to "shift your diet toward low fat food"?


Most people's "total caloric energy balance" (this sounds like marketing
talk) is the problem. In the US we eat much more fat than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese.


no you dont, Std Us diet is around 33% total energy from fat, during
evolution it was higher than this (~40% or above depending on the
researcher) but it was a DIFFERENT fat (and total quantity could be
different as well - because percentages mean ****)

THe population is gettign fatter because they are eating more (energy) and
doing one ****ing site less (check out an aussie groups recent work of the
energy cost of doing dishes yourself, washing clothes yourself, climbing
stairs rather than lift/escilators)


We also don't tote buckets of water from the well, plow the fields,
hoe the fields, chop the firewood, harvest the crops, stalk the deer,
weave the baskets, ...

I think people probably eat less these days, but also do even less.

Proton Soup

  #28  
Old November 3rd 03, 10:33 AM
Aaron
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat


"Wayne S. Hill" wrote in message
...
Chopper wrote:

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote...
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?


Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.


So it's volume that determines how much you eat? Fats produce
satiety, while carbs don't.


carbs can produce satiety, and food volume can also increase satiety, but
thats beside hte point

--
Aaron


Weight training doesn't do much to affect fat reduction.

Did you just make that up, or read it somewhere?


It's common sense.


Ah, common sense. I see. Well, there you have it.

Here's a couple of questions for you:
- For what period of time does a session of aerobic exercise
increase your metabolism?
- For what period of time does a session of weight training
increase your metabolism?

--
-Wayne



  #29  
Old November 3rd 03, 11:20 AM
John HUDSON
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:22:36 GMT, "David Cohen"
wrote:


"Chopper" wrote
"David Cohen" wrote
"Chopper" wrote
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?

Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.

But if your total caloric energy balance achieves the goal, why is

it
necessary to "shift your diet toward low fat food"?


Most people's "total caloric energy balance" (this sounds like

marketing
talk)


Only to morons.

is the problem. In the US we eat much more fat than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese.


In the US, we play with frisbees much more than humans did while
evolving, and the population is getting obese. Therefore, playing with
frisbees causes obesity.


I think this wry observation rather overlooks the fact that
competitive "frisbee" was enormously popular with Neanderthal Man, to
the extent that it extended to international competition.

The long arms of our forebears made it enormously difficult to get one
past or over on them!

Some of them were also quite fat, particularly those given to lifting
only weights and neglecting CV activity.

"You we Todd did."
"You sofa king we Todd did."

  #30  
Old November 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
Wayne S. Hill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reducing Bodyfat

Aaron wrote:

"Wayne S. Hill" wrote...
Chopper wrote:
"Wayne S. Hill" wrote...
Chopper wrote:

1) shift your diet toward low fat food

Why?

Becasue fat has a lot of calories per volume.


So it's volume that determines how much you eat? Fats
produce satiety, while carbs don't.


carbs can produce satiety, and food volume can also increase
satiety, but thats beside hte point


A low-fat diet permits much higher caloric intake before
satiety.

--
-Wayne
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reducing Bodyfat RM Aerobic 195 February 22nd 06 06:52 AM
Reducing Bodyfat RM Walking 177 February 22nd 06 06:52 AM
Reducing Bodyfat RM Weights 200 February 22nd 06 06:52 AM
Reducing Bodyfat David Weights 4 November 12th 03 09:58 AM
Bodyfat questions Jayjay Weights 97 September 29th 03 12:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FitnessBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.