'Curves'

Old November 21st 03, 09:44 PM
rina

Default 'Curves'

Hi,

Do any women out there have experience with "Curves" (Circuit training)?
Any comments?

Thanks in advance
Rina

Old November 22nd 03, 05:23 AM
frank-in-toronto

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:44:41 -0500, "rina" wrote:

Hi,

Do any women out there have experience with "Curves" (Circuit training)?
Any comments?

a relative of mine loves it. of course, some of what she likes
is that there's no shower or bar (so there's no excuse to hang
around), the workout is quick and over with and out-the-door
before you know it (she really doesn't want to workout).
my take is that it's much better than nothing and may be a
good start for chubby women who don't feel confident
enough to go to a real gym.

the fact that you really can't measure your progress due
to type of equipment available is a big negative to me.
....thehick
Old November 22nd 03, 12:40 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:23:06 -0500, frank-in-toronto
wrote:

a relative of mine loves it. of course, some of what she likes
is that there's no shower or bar (so there's no excuse to hang
around)

A shower is a place to hang around? G I get the bar thing, and I'm
with you on that one.

My coworkers are actually happy that my gym has a shower when I work
out at lunch time.

Barry
Old November 23rd 03, 12:19 PM
Van Bagnol

In article ,
frank-in-toronto wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:44:41 -0500, "rina" wrote:

Do any women out there have experience with "Curves" (Circuit training)?
Any comments?

a relative of mine loves it. of course, some of what she likes is
that there's no shower or bar (so there's no excuse to hang around),
the workout is quick and over with and out-the-door before you know
it (she really doesn't want to workout). my take is that it's much
better than nothing and may be a good start for chubby women who
don't feel confident enough to go to a real gym.

My wife loves it, and goes after she drops the kids off to school or
sometimes before they get up in the morning. She's not chubby at all, by
the way (108 lbs), but her aunt who goes with her is. It's not so much
the confidence factor than it is the convenience: they go in, do their
workouts, go out. No muss, no fuss, no makeup, no creeps.

the fact that you really can't measure your progress due
to type of equipment available is a big negative to me.
...thehick

Actually, they _do_ measure your progress at Curves. At regular
intervals they take complete body measurements, weight, and bodyfat
percentage, and chart your progress on a printout. The wife's had three
such sessions and has dropped 2% of bodyfat so far.

What they don't measure is poundage or performance. That's a male thing,
or at least an athlete thing. What matters to Curves clients is reducing
weight, fat, and dress sizes.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking
Old November 24th 03, 04:31 AM
FitnessCall

Yep, Curves is a really good start for anyone wanting to get into
exercise. I'm an instructor, so I went to a Curves to learn about it
and try the routine. It's great for beginners. Only problem is after
about 6 mos. or so the hydraulic resistance is no longer enough to
keep improving your body, so eventually you have to move on. You need
to change your routine anyway after about 6 mos. (max) to keep your
body challenged, otherwise you could and probably will hit a plateau.

I would highly recommend it for the beginner.

Sue
www.GetThatBody.com
Old November 30th 03, 02:42 AM
Tim Tenley

Only problem is after
about 6 mos. or so the hydraulic resistance is no longer enough to
keep improving your body, so eventually you have to move on. You need
to change your routine anyway after about 6 mos. (max) to keep your
body challenged, otherwise you could and probably will hit a plateau.

The Curves near us uses the Body Pump system in conjuction with the curcuit
training and this seems to be a very good combiniation. The Body Pump (group
training with weights by Body Systems) works you two days out of the week
and then I bounce into the curcuit training or pure cardio on the off days.
It's worked great for me. I find the the curcuit at Curves is a nice
compromise between cardio and weight training.
I aggree that using just the hydraulic resistance training provided by the
curcuit gets old after awhile. But supplimenting it with other types of
training works well, especially some type of group excercise.

Old December 1st 03, 02:39 AM
Jessica Libolt

I wish I would have come up with it! I have always been interested in
making exercise easy for busy women; this is the answer. Although I
don't work out there because I'm a personal trainer, I reccomend it to
all of my friends who are working mothers (or stay at home) because
it's an excellent, quick way to get in shape and lose weight! Go for
it!