Reading on treadmill question

Old February 23rd 08, 01:59 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
[email protected]

Default Reading on treadmill question

I spend about an hour each day on the treadmill. Most of the time I
just walk (incline), sometimes I may run. Walking on a treadmill at
the gym can be boring. My eyesight generally is fine. But I tried
reading (magazines) while walking but it strains my eyes a bit and the
its the general movement from walking makes it difficult to keep
focussed on words. Is this something you get used to or is there some
technique to make reading on a treadmill more practical.
Old February 23rd 08, 02:41 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
bj

wrote in message
I spend about an hour each day on the treadmill. Most of the time I
just walk (incline), sometimes I may run. Walking on a treadmill at
the gym can be boring. My eyesight generally is fine. But I tried
reading (magazines) while walking but it strains my eyes a bit and the
its the general movement from walking makes it difficult to keep
focussed on words. Is this something you get used to or is there some
technique to make reading on a treadmill more practical.

have you tried something in Large Print?
check your local library.
bj

Old February 23rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
Charlie Pendejo

:
Walking on a treadmill at the gym can be boring. My eyesight
generally is fine. But I tried reading (magazines) while walking
but it strains my eyes a bit and the its the general movement
from walking makes it difficult to keep focussed on words.

While I endorse the other answers you've received, what you're really
supposed to be doing is looking at the girls, not the words. Their
vertical motion on the treadmills will match yours which then
eliminates the blurriness.
Old February 23rd 08, 02:10 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
Barb[_2_]

Depends on what you want to read .....MP3 player and audiobooks? I use
these both on my exercise bike and when taking my boring therapeutic walks
round the neighbourhood.

Barb

Old February 23rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
Tony S.

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message
:
Walking on a treadmill at the gym can be boring. My eyesight
generally is fine. But I tried reading (magazines) while walking
but it strains my eyes a bit and the its the general movement
from walking makes it difficult to keep focussed on words.

While I endorse the other answers you've received, what you're really
supposed to be doing is looking at the girls, not the words. Their
vertical motion on the treadmills will match yours which then
eliminates the blurriness.

Yea, I quite agree! One gym I went to had the machines facing the pool,
which can be a blessing or a curse

To suggest something else for walkers: my sister's favorite winter workout
is mall-walking.

-Tony, who catches up on DVRed movies and programs on the dreadmill

Old February 24th 08, 05:23 AM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
Dot

Tony S. wrote:
"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message

:

Walking on a treadmill at the gym can be boring. My eyesight
generally is fine. But I tried reading (magazines) while walking
but it strains my eyes a bit and the its the general movement
from walking makes it difficult to keep focussed on words.

While I endorse the other answers you've received, what you're really
supposed to be doing is looking at the girls, not the words. Their
vertical motion on the treadmills will match yours which then
eliminates the blurriness.

Yea, I quite agree! One gym I went to had the machines facing the pool,
which can be a blessing or a curse

One of mine had them facing the outdoor windows. Our xt class has them
overlooking the gymnastics floor below. Which is ok, unless they're
running shuttle workouts cross directions to the tm. Almost landed on
side barrier one day as I was watching their workout. One gym has them
looking at overhead tv screens, so you're not looking down at them like
those cardiac theaters. (I was exploring options regarding gyms a couple
years ago to assess alternatives for icy days.)

To suggest something else for walkers: my sister's favorite winter workout
is mall-walking.

We don't have a local mall at the moment (kinda died, torn down last
summer, new one coming) but we have a new Wal-Mart super store with
wider aisles than the old store. I was able to find a couple decent
aisles with no one in them to speed push the cart down them. Yes, I was
desparate with the trail conditions.

Dot

--
"The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
- John Hardy

Old February 25th 08, 11:43 PM posted to misc.fitness.misc,rec.running,misc.fitness.walking
rick++

Books on DVDs from the library!! Being read to is a blast and no visual
issues.

Places rent through mail too. I use a lot when driving. Not running.
I beleive some may be downloadable mp3s too.

Treadmill question Tim Downie[_2_] Running 5 December 19th 07 05:59 PM
Treadmill question Nick Aerobic 8 March 28th 05 03:19 PM
Treadmill question [email protected] Weights 22 February 2nd 05 11:00 AM
Treadmill question Ninfa Walking 2 March 4th 04 09:28 PM
Plastic Treadmill Reading Thingies Will Oram Running 0 January 27th 04 06:11 AM