Treadmill advice needed

Old July 7th 08, 09:46 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Peter Clinch

Default Treadmill advice needed

Peter Clinch wrote:

Walk through parks, by roads etc. It's free, the air is fresher and you
get to go places, possibly combining your walk with useful activity
(like collecting some fresh groceries, or calling in on a friend).

An addendum on your local climate being too extreme for walking... where
is that? I'm not aware of anywhere generally inhabited by people where
nobody walks, at least if they choose a reasonable time of day to do it.
40 C during the day? Go out at 22:00 and it'll be much cooler, and the
kids will be in bed too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 7th 08, 09:50 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Peter Clinch writes:

| Walk through parks, by roads etc. It's free, the air is fresher and you
| get to go places, possibly combining your walk with useful activity
| (like collecting some fresh groceries, or calling in on a friend).
|
| An addendum on your local climate being too extreme for walking... where
| is that? I'm not aware of anywhere generally inhabited by people where
| nobody walks, at least if they choose a reasonable time of day to do it.
| 40 C during the day? Go out at 22:00 and it'll be much cooler, and the
| kids will be in bed too.

I am, but not close to the UK. Try Port Harcourt. Quite a few places
are unsuitable at some times of year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old July 7th 08, 12:43 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
PeterC

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:45:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I am thinking about buying my first treadmill. My family and I are on
a very, very tight budget and we are counting every penny so this is a
huge decision for us and I need some help in deciding which one to
pick.

I am 6 foot 3 (189cm) for 252 pounds (115kgs) and I need to walk for
about 30min on a daily basis to loose weight. The climate where I
live makes outdoor walking impossible most of the year and, besides, I
need to stay at home to watch for the kids. I do not plan to run on
the treadmill, only walk, initially slowly (I am very much out of
shape), but eventually at a brisk pace to get a good aerobic exercise.

I have been initially tempted to buy the NordicTrack C2155 (
http://tinyurl.com/5amgjq )

But the newer NordicTrack A2350 looks even better to me ( http://tinyurl.com/5mfsxs
)

My questions to you a

1) Do NordicTrack treadmills have a good reputation?
2) What do you think of the two models I am considering?
3) Can you think of a better (as in value for the money) deal than
these NordicTrack treadmills?

Many thanks for any pointers!

Mamadu

If you really do need a treadmill, try for one that you power and perhaps
levers for exercising the arms as well
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Old July 7th 08, 12:57 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
PeterC writes:

| If you really do need a treadmill, try for one that you power and perhaps
| levers for exercising the arms as well

I need a treadmill, but the only ones suitable are MASSIVE and
correspondingly expensive :-(

But my problems are somewhat different. Specifically, I need a
stepper, where the platforms remain horizontal, do not wobble, and
move in a purely vertical direction. That wouldn't be difficult
for an engineering shop to build but, as far as I know, no small
ones are constructed like that.

Quite a few people have trouble with the ones that also exercise
your arms - they aren't always easy to get used to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old July 7th 08, 05:57 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking,misc.fitness.aerobic,misc.fitness.misc,uk.rec.walking,rec.running
DrollTroll

wrote in message
On Jul 7, 10:19 am, Bert Hyman wrote:
(Peter Clinch) wrote
:

If you're on a tight budget then don't buy atreadmill: outside your
home you'll find plenty of scope for walking, the only "downside"
being you'll actually go somewhere!

You apparently missed the OP's requirements:

The climate where I live makes outdoor walking impossible most
of the year and, besides, I need to stay at home to watch for
the kids.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

correct. since this seems to be a prerequisite to get an answer I will
add that I have some health problems which make it a bad idea for me
to go away from home. I realize that I could walk around the house
(and take the kids with me), but this would not address some of the
other problems including the tropical heat, humidity, or the famous
Florida mosquitoes and "noseums" (sandflies) (I live on a
*saltmarsh*!). I know, I could carry a fan around the house, stop
every circumnavigation or so do drink, use plenty of bugspray, etc.
but my question was about treadmills, not survival techniques :-)

Having, I hope, addressed the reasons why exactly I want to stay
inside the house to everybody's satisfaction (I hope), I now would
like to repeat my questions:

1) Do NordicTrack treadmills have a good reputation?
2) What do you think of the two models I am considering?
3) Can you think of a better (as in value for the money) deal than
these NordicTrack treadmills?
It was answered.... twice! at least on rr.

--
DT

Thanks!

Treadmill advice needed In the Middle of the Pack Aerobic 0 July 7th 08 03:19 AM
Advice Needed Larry Swain Aerobic 2 February 21st 07 09:23 PM
Treadmill needed for old man Aerobic 2 November 6th 06 10:50 PM
Treadmill needed for old man General 2 November 6th 06 10:50 PM
ECA advice needed please. Sal Weights 6 November 22nd 04 12:07 AM