Training week ending Dec 13 2009

Old December 14th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

Default Training week ending Dec 13 2009

John Hurley wrote:
| Greetings wreck runners! Please tell us about your training week and
| goals.

Mon: 8.1 mi
Tue: 1 hour bike
Wed: 7.3 mi
Thu: 8.1 mi
Fri: off, Tucson site seeing
Sat: off, site seeing/hikes
Sun: 14.3 mi incl HM in 1:31:57

Total: 37.8 mi run, 1 hour bike

Old December 14th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.running
Michelle

In article
,
Charlie Pendejo wrote:

Digging Tucson? I love that part of the country including that city.

My only regret about moving to the Phoenix area eight years ago is that I
didn't move to the Tucson area. I made the mistake of relying on my
memories of the two areas from the mid to late 1980s instead of checking
how they actually were in the early 2000s. I like the Phoenix area a lot,
but I'm sure that I would like the Tucson area more. But not enough to
want to sell, pack up, move and buy there now.

--
26.2 Because I can
Old December 14th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

Charlie Pendejo wrote:
| I2:
| Fri: off, Tucson site seeing
| Sat: off, site seeing/hikes
| Sun: 14.3 mi incl HM in 1:31:57
|
| As a friend likes to say, details are the essence of good
| storytelling! :-p
Apologies, We got back late last night and had a busy morning
at work.

| Digging Tucson? I love that part of the country including that city.
| What's it like to run that course - beat up your quads pretty good, or
| not so much?

With pair of free tickets and a free place to stay (friends) I couldn't
resist to go there and *scout* the course. I am glad we did as I
found out Tucson is a great place to visit and explore the desert.
Plus there was a big craft fair in downtown Tucson. It is also nice
time of the year with night lows in the 40s and highs in 60s day time.
Our friends had us on a whirlwind tour of the desert exploring
Saguaro forests. My wife & I were really surprised to see so much
green, though it blends right into the landscape, not like on East coast.
I would have hard time going for a Mexican dinners after enjoying
the *real thing* in Tucson with Mariachi band. All meals were
strictly Mexican starting with breakfast.

The race is actually north of the city in Oracle & Oro Valley, which
made it to be a lot more scenic than what I had anticipated. As
per the race, I was *prepared* to get whatever I could and sub 90 min
would have been nicer. But I have been *off season* mode and more
focused on spending energies on *touring* the area, so sub 92 min
was *acceptable*. The course is gradual downhill and not the quad
busters as I am used to much steeper ups/downs. I am a little disappointed
to get only a cotton T-shirt after coughing up $90+$7.75 (processing).

As per my race, I started out well and hoping to maintain a steady pace
around 6:50 to get under 90 min. It was clear after a couple of miles that
it would be borderline outcome if I push the last couple of miles.
But the steep climb for mile 12 got me out of any hopes of achieving it.
Overall the course feels more like *flat* than down as it is very gradual
down for the first 11 miles. Then it climbs steeply for mile 12 and then
flat of down for the rest. Definitely a PR course if you are conditioned.
It was cool and windy a little but don't think it was in 20s mph, who knows?

I had a chance to chat with a few locals that really enjoy the area.
Some of them run around 3 AM in the summers to avoid the oppressive heat!
Some transplanted northerners really like it there with a lot less
traffic to deal with, an other from Colorado who doesn't miss the snow.
Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would like to go visit again.

Old December 14th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

I2:
| Overall, I enjoyed the trip and would like to go visit again.
An other thing (this is for John Hurley), tried IPA on tap
at Gentle Ben's brew that was as good as DFH IPA90!